Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Your workplace policies on social media

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001

Your workplace policies on social media

Based on the most recent policies being floated at my jurisdiction, I may be prevented from posting here or anywhere else notwithstanding the fact I'm posting from home and on my personal computer. Another month or so, and I could be gone. This will cramp my style.
    What would RJ do?

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post
    Based on the most recent policies being floated at my jurisdiction, I may be prevented from posting here or anywhere else notwithstanding the fact I'm posting from home and on my personal computer. Another month or so, and I could be gone. This will cramp my style.
    That sucks. Get another job.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    I have been tasked with writing a social media policy and strategy for my town and I am not sure how to address a policy (or a strategy) for staff on their own professional website message boards, which this would be categorized as imho...

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    That sucks. Get another job.
    I can't be sure but I think I might be hyper-ventilating. I don't handle change well, can't you just tell them that it's imperative to my health that you continue to post here? I'm sure they'd understand that!
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    May 2004

My last place of employment didn't let me post so I just used my smart phone.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    I have been tasked with writing a social media policy and strategy for my town and I am not sure how to address a policy (or a strategy) for staff on their own professional website message boards, which this would be categorized as imho...
    I'm along for this ride as well, leading a small group of directors at the city in rewriting our old personnel policy. We are trying to avoid issues with professional website message boards--the real issue is dealing with true social media. We're treating our policy on this more like a guiding document than a hammer to be wilded with wreckless abandon. Based on what we've written, a message board like this would not be affected unless we were publicly outing ourselves. Here's the draft we've currently worked-up, if anyone is interested:

SECTION 8.30 - BLOGGING / CYBER SMEARING

Weblogs or blogs are publicly accessible diaries that focus on specific persons or topics.

Generally, The City of ___________ views the use of weblogs and personal websites positively. The City recognizes the right of employees to use blogs as a medium of self expression. Should you choose to identify yourself as an employee of City of ______________ to discuss business related matters on your weblog or site, some readers may view you as a City representative or spokesperson. The following guidelines are to be followed by employees engaged in these activitieswhen referring to the City:
    • Ensure that readers understand that the views expressed are entirely your own, and that these views do not necessarily reflect the views of City of ________. Please include a disclaimer that is easily visible to all visitors to the site.
    • All bloggers should reveal their identity on the blog and should not use a pseudonym to post their views.
    • Do not disclose any sensitive, financial, proprietary or confidential City information that is not otherwise subject to open records request.
    • The City of __________ expects that bloggers will be respectful to the City, fellow employees, our customers, and residents. Freedom of speech is not necessarily a freedom to say whatever one wants without consequence. Bloggers must not post materials that violate the privacy or publicity rights of another individual or entity.
    • Blogging activity should not interfere with work requirements at any given time.
    • Copyrights and laws regulating what can be written must be respected at all times. Blogs should not be used to make statements that are libelous, defamatory, profane, harassing or obscene.
    • The City reserves the right to suspend blogging activities temporarily if it has any concerns about compliance with securities regulations or other laws.
    • Ask your supervisor for guidance if you are uncertain whether the content of your blog will conflict with the City's blogging policy.

SECTION 8.35 - SOCIAL MEDIA
    Digital and computer technology continues to expand rapidly around the world. Improved technology applications can enhance our everyday lives, improve overall quality of life, and provide useful tools for businesses & government. In It can be a great tool to reach citizens and further develop positive perceptions of employees and City. Likewise, it can improve personal communication and relationships. However, this technology is a double-edged sword that must be used by personnel on and/or off-duty in a manner that preserves and promotes the image, efficiency, and effectiveness of the City of _________, the individual employee, and the community itself.

Social media includes a variety of Internet sources that allow people to communicate, share information, share photos, videos, audio and exchange text or other multimedia files (i.e. YouTube videos). A social networking site can be defined as internet-based services that allows individuals to:
    • Construct a public or semi-public profile within a bounded system
    • Articulate a list of other users with whom they share a connection
    • View and traverse their list of connections and those made by others within the system
    • A site that provides a virtual community for people interested in a particular subject or just to “hang out” together
    • Create their own personal online “profile” with biographical data, pictures, likes, dislikes and any other information they choose to post
    • Communicate with each other by voice, chat, instant message, videoconference and blogs
    • The service typically provides a way for members to contact friends of other members. The nature and nomenclature of these connections may vary from site to site.

Examples of social networking sites include, but are not limited to Facebook, Twitter, Flickr, MySpace, and others

Digital media & technology for the purposes of this policy is defined as all photographs, audio, and video recordings of any type and format.

The purpose of this policy is to provide employees with clear guidelines when participating on personal social networking websites, web pages or other types of social media. It is not the City’s intent to deter or prohibit employees from participating, accessing or posting to these sites, but more to make sure an employee’s personal activities do not infringe upon the integrity, effectiveness or security of the City’s operations, other employees or the citizens, and otherwise preserves and protects the professional interests of the City of _________. Employees must remember that their conduct both on and off duty is held to a higher standard and that we are often viewed as “ambassadors of the city” even when outside the workplace; this includes their conduct in relation to social media and networking sites. Many of the standards provided below simply restate other policies found elsewhere in this handbook, only applied in the context of social media & social networking.

Employees are prohibited from posting, placing, or having posted or placed any information relating to their duties or any information they have learned as a result of their duties as an employee of the City that is not otherwise available to citizens through conventional means & requests for information.

Employees of the City are held to high ethical standards and serve as “ambassadors of the city” both on- and off-duty. An employee’s conduct, both on and off duty, is the means by which the employee and the City’s reputation are measured. Employees must maintain high standards of professional and personal conduct at all times. Employees utilizing, posting pictures, audio, video, commenting or creating a social networking site(s), blogs, and comment oriented websites, must conduct themselves at all times in a manner so as to not bring into disrepute the employee or City. Additionally, there should never be any acts or content disseminated that could bring about doubt as to their credibility as a city employee. Postings involving an employee’s use of alcohol are strongly discouraged. Employees should also refrain from posting images depicting themselves inebriated or nude, nor anything suggesting involvement in gang-related and/or illegal conduct as this is also considered damaging to both the City’s and employee’s credibility. Employees should always ask themselves if something that they are posting could be interpreted in a negative way or manner by any other individual viewing the posting or image(s) and whether it could adversely impact the integrity, effectiveness, and efficiency of the City of __________.

Employees of the City of __________, while on or off duty, shall never utilize digital technology, blogs, or social networking sites to harass, belittle or criticize an employee or another person in any manner. The posting of any pictures, videos, audio, comments, discussion or other digital technology media to a social networking site or forwarding or sending an email(s) that criticizes, ridicules or otherwise may potentially embarrass or disgrace another employee or person is prohibited. This shall also include the altering or editing of digital technology that harasses, belittles or criticizes an employee in any manner.

The City of _____________ supports the employees’ rights to engage in personal interest based activities, but reminds employees to exercise good judgment by safeguarding themselves accordingly by not participating in any conduct that is likely to have an adverse effect on their integrity as an employee of the City or the reputation of the City of ___________ as a whole. Therefore, employees are responsible for all content posted on or to any social networking site or media, including that of another employee once they become aware of it.
    1. Social media network sites are considered public and can be entered into evidence and used against employees in court
    2. Any material considered in violation of this policy that is located on any employee’s personal social networking site or posted by an employee to any social media should be removed promptly.
    3. Any employee becoming aware of or having knowledge of any violation of this policy shall notify their supervisor immediately for follow-up action.
    4. Violations of this policy are subject to disciplinary action up to and including termination.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Moderator note:
    split from RTDNTOTO. Maybe we'll move it to the 'Career Issues' subforum too
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

I do wonder whether employers understand that they employ us, not own us. Where the line between the two is, is the question.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    I do wonder whether employers understand that they employ us, not own us. Where the line between the two is, is the question.
    I think that depends what the economy is doing. Employers can get away with a lot more and employees will endure a lot more when the economy is bad.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    I was the chief architect of our Social Media Policy, and as such, obviously i still post here. I never took into consideration a site such as cyburbia because as such, it is a great resource for information to bounce on from my fellow planners. Our social media policy was geared towards facebook, twitter, and the use of smartphones versus a blog . Similar to SR, we have user names and thus we are not outing ourselves in this board. (hence when I speak of my "municipality" it is never by name, however i do post code and any smart person can figure it out). I can share our social media policy as adopted with others through PM as an example, but our technology policy covers internet use.

Now the line to express ourselves on our own time, own personal equipment should be drawn.
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    We don't have a policy per but our organization uses social media outlets to promote what we are doing in the community. Naturally if it is discovered that you are smearing the org, an employee, or a community member/stakeholder there will be consequences as that falls under our employee code of conduct. Most employees don't have internet access beyond reporting websites or email. Those of us that do pretty much have free reign of the internet but it's rarely abused.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    hey wow - thanks for getting this conversation going - I am "going to" a webinar on this next Tuesday - cool stuff

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Privacy and Social Media
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 18 Oct 2013, 9:43 AM
  2. Internet Your social media policy
    Information Technology
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 05 Dec 2012, 11:32 AM
  3. Economic development policies
    Economic and Community Development