Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Strange Connections in History

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

Strange Connections in History

Back in the mobster era of Chicago, there was a very talented lawyer called Easy Eddie who was born and raised in St. Louis. He was so good in fact, that for years he was the personal attorney for Al Capone when he was in Chicago and was even a partner in many of his dealings. Easy Eddie lived a good life but as his son got older, he started to have a moral dilemma about what he was doing knowing that if he continued to be Capone’s attorney, his kid was going to end up like him, or worse, as one of Capone’s goons. So he flipped, turned states witness and testified against Capone and his gang knowing it might be a death sentence for him. Unfortunately on November 8, 1939 this car was mowed down in a shadow of bullets. No one knows for sure who killed him, but all evidence is that it was a mob ordered killing.

On the other hand, there was a kid named Butch O’Hare who on February 20, 1942 was a naval pilot and on his way to a mission, realized that he did not have enough fuel. He was going to return to the ship when he noticed several Japanese bombers quickly approaching and heading to his carrier, the Lexington. Knowing that he was at a great disadvantage to the massive bombers, Butch engaged and personally shot down three by using a dive bombing technique and shooting guns at the engines and wings, all in an attempt to keep them away from his aircraft carrier and save the lives of the men on board. He expended all of his ammo and was almost out of fuel when he approached the aircraft carrier. Butch was able to safely land his plane despite being shot at once by his own boat. Instead of acting out of anger, he made a joke to the sailor who shot at him once he was aboard. Because of his flying abilities and his willingness to risk his life, he was awarded the Medal of Honor for helping to save the lives of the men on board of the Lexington. O'Hare went missing on November 26, 1943, and was declared dead a year later. As you can guess, O’Hare airport in Chicago is named after Edward “Butch” O’Hare … Easy Eddie’s son.

Do you know of any other unlikely connections in history? Do you think that Butch would have gone on to do what he did if it was not for his father being willing to have character and do the right thing, even knowing it would cost him his life?
    Last edited by michaelskis; 06 Aug 2012 at 12:08 PM.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    May 2005
    http://www.snopes.com/glurge/ohare.asp

Interesting, Snopes refers to him as "Easy Eddie".

I'm betting he ratted on Capone to save his own ass, not out of some sense of morality.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    http://www.snopes.com/glurge/ohare.asp

Interesting, Snopes refers to him as "Easy Eddie".

I'm betting he ratted on Capone to save his own ass, not out of some sense of morality.
    Whoops, you are correct. I just looked the story up in a book that I read over the weekend and it is Easy Eddie but my notes say Fast Eddie for some reason... I made the edits in the OP. Thanks for the heads up.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Nov 2009
    From a musical perspective, I always thought it was odd that Rick James and Neil Young were in a band together. The what-if, being what-if Rick James wasn't arrested for deserting the US military, Neil Young doesn't leave the band. Could the Mynah Birds have evolved with them doing Superfreak for instance in the 80s and Neil Young be in the music video? Rick James backing up Neil for vocals on Heart of Gold?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Curious Connections
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 24
    Last post: 22 May 2013, 9:43 AM
  2. Spiritual Connections with Places
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 35
    Last post: 17 Mar 2011, 9:35 PM
  3. Impact of bridge/street connections
    Transportation Planning