Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Point-based landlord ordinances

Registered
    Feb 2009

Point-based landlord ordinances

Greetings! It's been awhile since I've posted here, so perhaps this is a good reason and time to start back:

I'm researching points-based landlord ordinances for a Michigan city that is looking to possibly incorporate them into the zoning ordinance. And by points-based landlord ordinances, I mean a rating system that could allow properties to be rewarded for maintaining a clean, healthy building and relationship with the city. I've been able to locate similar ordinances in Gainesville, Florida and Cedar Rapids, Iowa so far, and would love some input if anyone knows of other locations. Thanks in advance!

Jared

Registered
    Aug 2001
    As part of your research, have you thought of polling landlords in your area to see what they think of certain aspects of a points system? Also, have you considered constitutional issues related to such a points system? (I'm thinking of potential equal protection conflicts.) And finally, if landlords are in compliance with all state and federal laws relating to housing, what purpose would a points system serve? Wouldn't it be far more effective to have an inspection program to ensure that all housing in your area is compliant with the building code and other codes?

Registered
    Feb 2009
    Wannaplan?,

Thanks for the reply. My research is still in its infancy stages. I have pulled some information about attempting to protect both landlord AND tenants so as not to weigh too heavily on one side.

As for the purpose of the legislation, the head of the department I'm doing this research for is looking at the ordinance as a reinforcement for those landlords abiding by the current laws and zoning ords, specifically rewarding them with potential extensions of the rental property license. The majority of the plans I've come across so far have been more of a punitive nature, so we'll see if that's the final direction of the project.

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Just curious, what types of rewards, or incentives, are you considering, or have been provided for in the ordinances you found? We have a rental ordinance that allows an extended rental period if all violations have been addressed at the beginning of the permit. If we have to do more than one or two reinspections the permit period is shortened. Other than that, not sure what other "carrot" you'd be able to offer to them because at the end of the day they still need to comply with housing/building codes.

Registered
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally posted by SW MI Planner View post
    Just curious, what types of rewards, or incentives, are you considering, or have been provided for in the ordinances you found? We have a rental ordinance that allows an extended rental period if all violations have been addressed at the beginning of the permit. If we have to do more than one or two reinspections the permit period is shortened. Other than that, not sure what other "carrot" you'd be able to offer to them because at the end of the day they still need to comply with housing/building codes.
    SW, we are looking at an extension of the permit from 3 or 4 years to 4 or 5 if enough points are accumulated in a positive-scaled system, or lack of demerits if we approach this as a violation-system.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 29
    Last post: 26 May 2011, 11:56 AM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last post: 12 Aug 2010, 12:42 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last post: 23 Jan 2009, 6:25 PM
  4. Planner as Landlord
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 08 Oct 2004, 2:26 PM