Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: How do you explain planning to people?

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Sep 2011

How do you explain planning to people?

It seems at least once a week I end up with someone asking me what I'm studying. When I tell them Urban/City/Regional/Planning etc they have no idea what I'm talking about.

So how do you explain what planning is to a regular person who is unfamiliar with the concept? I'm having a hard time doing so in a way that they'll understand and also not use words/concepts that will be way above their heads.

Registered
    Jul 2007
    I tell people I work in land development generally, regulating it for the local government that employs me.
    Last edited by beach_bum; 13 Aug 2012 at 9:16 AM.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    I don't. If they ask, I just tell them that I am a consultant, then ask them to tell me more about what they do.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    When I was in school I used to tell people that urban planning is how cities are shaped: where houses, commercial, industrial, and recreational uses go. That's sufficient for most people's curiosity. Since I develop affordable housing now, I just tell people I am a project manager.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    May 2004
    I used to tell people that I basically reviewed development proposals to make sure they meet standards set by the community, blah blah blah.

In my local community there is a very serious and very hostile anti-planning sentiment right now so I usually tell people I work at the video store.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    I used to tell people that I basically reviewed development proposals to make sure they meet standards set by the community, blah blah blah.

In my local community there is a very serious and very hostile anti-planning sentiment right now so I usually tell people I work at the video store.
    So the community went from not knowing a thing about planning to openly despising it?

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by ddomin4360 View post
    So the community went from not knowing a thing about planning to openly despising it?
    You have no idea. Once, I was the planner dealing with a possible drug store at the end of our residential street, not in compliance with the comp plan. I could not take that case I didn't want to have anything to do with it.. My doorbell dinged, I answered it, and there stood a major newspaper reporter and we just looked at each other and said "You!". We ended up having a talk where he realized planners weren't all evil. But, so many times, that is the position people take.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by ddomin4360 View post
    I
    When I tell them Urban/City/Regional/Planning etc they have no idea what I'm talking about.
    Clearly you need to upgrade the people you hang around/encounter.

I rarely have ever had an issue having to explain what urban planners do. If I did, kjel's is a good answer. But I can't say it happens more than once every few years. I guess you know where not to live when you graduate.
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I usually tell them what I do is just a bunch of b.s.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    "Your land, our call."

~ ~ ~

Or tell them you're a firefighter. That's safe.

Registered
    May 2002
    "Say you want to open a store in your living room. I determine whether you're allowed to, and if not, what your chanced of getting permission in the future is."
    Maintaining enthusiasm in the face of crushing apathy.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. What do people think of planning?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 36
    Last post: 09 Apr 2012, 9:50 AM
  2. Jobs for people interested in planning
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 11 Jan 2010, 7:51 PM
  3. Urban planning: not a career for shy people?
    Replies: 18
    Last post: 13 Apr 2008, 5:22 PM
  4. Replies: 9
    Last post: 19 Mar 2004, 4:36 PM