Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Why dogs laugh at fences

Registered
    Aug 2001

Why dogs laugh at fences

This morning I worked in the yard, reinforcing a homemade fence and gate as well as improving a path through some of the flower beds. I came in to find this http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/anim...parkour-skills sent to me by Mrs. Cardinal. When I first built the fence my Roscoe would lay under a nearby tree and watch. As each new section would go up he rose to make an inspection. I could see him thinking "I can slip through here, squeeze under there, and maybe jump this spot...." He was my escape artist, a bit like Steve McQueen's character in The Great Escape. Luke also has an interest in getting to the other side of the fence, but usually only when I am outside the fence. He has slipped through this particular gate a few times, pushing enough to create an opening he can squeeze through. Our Lizzy also appears to be interested in expolring the weaknesses of this fence, though her attempts have so far mostly involved trying to slip under.

Anyway, this dog would laugh at any fence.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal View post
    This morning I worked in the yard, reinforcing a homemade fence and gate as well as improving a path through some of the flower beds. I came in to find this http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/anim...parkour-skills sent to me by Mrs. Cardinal. When I first built the fence my Roscoe would lay under a nearby tree and watch. As each new section would go up he rose to make an inspection. I could see him thinking "I can slip through here, squeeze under there, and maybe jump this spot...." He was my escape artist, a bit like Steve McQueen's character in The Great Escape. Luke also has an interest in getting to the other side of the fence, but usually only when I am outside the fence. He has slipped through this particular gate a few times, pushing enough to create an opening he can squeeze through. Our Lizzy also appears to be interested in expolring the weaknesses of this fence, though her attempts have so far mostly involved trying to slip under.

Anyway, this dog would laugh at any fence.
    That is why we go with an invisible fence. We actually had a tie out before, but our dog broke a steel cable and two leather collars in less than a year. She has never gotten out of the invisible fence.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    That is why we go with an invisible fence. We actually had a tie out before, but our dog broke a steel cable and two leather collars in less than a year. She has never gotten out of the invisible fence.
    My brother has a very large, very strong yellow lab. When he was younger he would get up to full speed, forget about the fence, and be across it before the zap registered. He'd look startled, shrug it off, and go back about his business. This usually involved chasing a squirrel or rabbit.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. The laugh track
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 08 Apr 2011, 1:02 PM
  2. You laugh, you lose #2: the sequel
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 15 Feb 2011, 12:01 AM
  3. You laugh, you lose