Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Fall's a-coming

Registered
    Feb 2004

Fall's a-coming

I can tell fall is not far off. It's that time of year when I start get the rising sun's rays directly in my eyes as I head east for the morning commute
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    I can tell fall is not far off. It's that time of year when I start get the rising sun's rays directly in my eyes as I head east for the morning commute
    We've started to have the cool misty mornings which are a good indicator that fall is on its way. Yesterday was a beautiful day - high of 79 and in the upper 40s at night. Perfection.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    The sun has been right in my eyes the past few mornings as I head into town to get my coffee and paper. I've also noticed that a few of my mums look to be ready to bloom soon... which always reminds me that I wait too long to trim them back each year so once they do bloom they are all bushy and all over the place. Just once, I'd like them to be nice and compact just like when you buy them at the stores.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    It's dark now when the alarm goes off in the morning (05h30). Ugh.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    *sniff* *sniff*

I smell a thread split.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner View post
    *sniff* *sniff*

I smell a thread split.

Tranplanner!!!! Yay!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    *sniff* *sniff*

I smell a thread split.
    Moderator note:
    Sure, if you insist.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Feb 2002
    LOVE the fall, love the weather, apple cider (if we have any this year, stupid drought), the smell in the air, MSU football, the leaves crunching underfoot (except when I have to rake them). LOVE it!

It's dark now when the alarm goes off in the morning (05h30). Ugh.
    That's probably the one and only downside

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Yes, fall is approaching. I don’t know what it is about fall, but it seems that I am always up to my ears in projects around the house. This year seems to be worse than others in terms of what I have to do.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Better speed up the harvest because old man winter will be right around the corner..

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    Yes, fall is approaching. I don’t know what it is about fall, but it seems that I am always up to my ears in projects around the house. This year seems to be worse than others in terms of what I have to do.
    I am usually more active around the house, in terms of projects, in fall too. I always attribute it to not wanting to do any during the summer because it's too hot and also rushing to get things done in the fall before it really gets to cold.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Dec 2008
    "I would send you a bouquet of sharpened pencils if I knew your name and address."

we walk dandelion beaches
    in Indian Summer,
    barefoot this one last time.
    the sun, now poetic
    washing our features, and
    everything's alright.
    everything rhymes.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Not yet around here. Still pretty warm in the day, cooling off a smidge at night. When the trees start their change in color is when fall is coming.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    Better speed up the harvest because old man winter will be right around the corner..
    What harvest? I would guess most farmers this fall will have a bit more time on their hands.... unfortunately.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Some birds are already beginning their fall migration (to which I want to say NOOOOOOOO - DON'T LEAVE YET!!! ). I'm trying to keep the hummingbird feeder full so the hummers can fatten up before their long journey over the Gulf of Mexico.

I love the cooler temperatures, though. It's perfect for hiking and doing stuff around the yard without sweating your butt off or being inundated by mosquitos. Great sleeping weather, too.

Mmmm, soon it'll be time for apple cider donuts...

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    What is this fall that you talk about? Our second season-not summer-doesn't started for another month and a half. I do miss fall in the great lakes region.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I never park outside overnight at home. Last night, I was working on some stuff in my garage and did not finish up as early as I planned so left everything on the floor and left my Jeep parked in the driveway. This morning there was this odd coating of frosty white stuff on the windshield when I left for work in the 41º weather. I hadn't seen frost on my windshield in years!

Did Mother Nature forget that summer doesn't end until Saturday?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    I never park outside overnight at home. Last night, I was working on some stuff in my garage and did not finish up as early as I planned so left everything on the floor and left my Jeep parked in the driveway. This morning there was this odd coating of frosty white stuff on the windshield when I left for work in the 41º weather. I hadn't seen frost on my windshield in years!

Did Mother Nature forget that summer doesn't end until Saturday?
    Yeah, you could feel the balance of nature palpably shift today even though fall doesnt technically start till this weekend. The weather is going to be cooler from here on out. Sure there will likely be a couple of warm fronts in the coming weeks but the cooler days will from this point forward be the rule and the warmer days the exception.

Morning temp here was 39
    Last edited by Maister; 19 Sep 2012 at 9:17 AM.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Yeah, you could feel the balance of nature palpably shift today even though fall doesnt technically start till this weekend. The weather is going to be cooler from here on out. Sure there might be a warm front or two in the coming weeks but the cooler days will from this point be the rule and the warmer days the exception.
    On the brighter side, the cooler weather allows me to really get some use out of my wardrobe that is quite full of corduroy, tweed, and flannel.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    On another fall-related note, signs from a couple of the local cider mills are going up around town announcing "yes, we have apples". The regional apple crop this year was more or less annihilated with that freakish warm weather in early spring that caused most of the apple trees to bud early and a month of killing frosts followed. I suspect the apples they have were probably purchased from Washington or some other part of the country that was spared the freakish weather.

Oh well, even if the apples aren't locally grown I suppose that still gives us an excuse to go get cider and donuts this weekend anyway.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Morning low temp was 45.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by SW MI Planner View post
    LOVE the fall, love the weather, apple cider (if we have any this year, stupid drought), the smell in the air, MSU football, the leaves crunching underfoot (except when I have to rake them). LOVE it!

That's probably the one and only downside
    The going rate at my Cider Mill is $7.5 per half gallon. Me being a dumb-@$$ left the half gallon in the car overnight and am wondering if it is okay to drink. Its the unpasturized stuff.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    The going rate at my Cider Mill is $7.5 per half gallon. Me being a dumb-@$$ left the half gallon in the car overnight and am wondering if it is okay to drink. Its the unpasturized stuff.
    Let it ferment for awhile and then it will really be ready to drink AND have a kick.

Apple festival was last weekend in this little 'burg. So yes fall is here and the temps are cooler. That also means I don't have an excuse not to clean out the workshop over the next few weeks.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Feb 2004
    'They' (you know, guys wearing white lab coats) say we're supposed to have especially vibrant leaf colors this fall due to the aforementioned freakish spring weather, early summer drought, and the early onset of cooler temps this year. I would estimate the fall colors are only at maybe 10 percent locally but it'll be great for color tours here in a couple of weeks.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    On the brighter side, the cooler weather allows me to really get some use out of my wardrobe that is quite full of corduroy, tweed, and flannel.
    That's the spirit!

It's really beginning to look like fall here. The leaves of a large maple tree in our yard have already turned yellow, and the wind that arrived with yesterday's heavy rain knocked some of 'em to the ground. I'm already craving baked goods (but not the idea of raking leaves ).

DetroitPlanner, I'm sure your cider is fine, assuming you didn't have temperatures above 65-70 degrees last night.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Coming Soon to an FAC Near You!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 20 Nov 2008, 11:28 AM
  2. Battlecry: The War is Coming
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 31 May 2006, 11:24 PM
  3. Columbia - who's coming?