Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Mapping blunders

Registered
    Aug 2001

Mapping blunders

I updated my iPhone to iOS 6 on Saturday. Went to a Detroit Tigers baseball game on Sunday. Used my iPhone as a GPS on the drive to the ball park. It showed I-75 as US-10. Wow, I heard all the press about how bad the Apple maps were, but this is truly a blunder. I will never take Google Maps for granted!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Wannaplan? View post
    I updated my iPhone to iOS 6 on Saturday. Went to a Detroit Tigers baseball game on Sunday. Used my iPhone as a GPS on the drive to the ball park. It showed I-75 as US-10. Wow, I heard all the press about how bad the Apple maps were, but this is truly a blunder. I will never take Google Maps for granted!
    Wow not M-10? There is a strange connector area if you came from the South where there is an I-96/M-10/I-75 traffic is funneled to and from that runs along the main trunkline of I-75. Were you getting the reading there?

Incidentally you will still find a few old signs downtown that call M-10 US-10 but it has not been US-10 for at least most of my lifetime!
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    So, what's good about Apple's map app?

* Little state and province route number shields.
    * The drawing pencil-like shading for parks.
    * Choice of large print.

I dislike how phone maps have low contrast; white roads on a yellow or beige background.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    Wow not M-10?
    Yup, not M-10. I was north of Flint. I am assuming that the Apple Map App assumes US-10 continues south of Bay City, much like how US-23 continues along with I-75 from Standish to Grand Blanc.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Ahh the Greater Clio/Mt. Morris metroplex!

I on Friday of last week I got a Droid for work. It uses google maps for GPS and is pretty decent. (Though admittedly I've only used it once!)
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    I'm honestly surprised their data is so bad in the US. It's not like center line data is hard to get a hold of. I know Google periodically requests ours and I'm kind of surprised Apple didn't do the same.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Last night I heard on the radio that Apple was trying to strong arm google into giving them their secrets for turn by turn voice instruction. Google refused, so Apple was in a scramble to slop together a poor substitute.

I know who would ever think that Apple would steall someone elses ideas and computer code, right?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    The more I'm read about this, the more it sounds like Apple just threw a bunch of programers at the app without realizing the importance of GIS.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    From Today's Yahoo Finance News:
    http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/the-e...3Rpb25z;_ylv=3

"Apple (AAPL) has endured a week-plus of heavy -- and rare -- criticism for the lousiness of the Maps program on its new iPhone 5, and now CEO Tim Cook is pleading for forgiveness.

Cook said in a statement that Apple had let its customers down by putting out a subpar product. "We are extremely sorry for the frustration this has caused our customers and are doing everything we can to make Maps better," the statement read.

BANNED
    Registered
    Oct 2012
    Apple has so many blind sheep following them they only care about sales, not quality.

The "other" smart phones are gaining ground fast.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    "Nigga Aly" in Springfield, Illinois, as shown on Apple Maps on my iPhone 4S.

Someone in Cupertino is going to be in serious trouble.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Architectural blunders
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 19
    Last post: 14 Dec 2011, 8:27 PM
  2. The worst planning blunders ever
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 44
    Last post: 06 May 2008, 9:38 AM
  3. Mental or cognitive mapping
    Cities and Places