Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Questions about AICP's responsiveness

     
    Registered
    Oct 2007

Questions about AICP's responsiveness

I passed the AICP exam in May and paid my dues in late July. The APA site verifies that I am an AICP member. However, I have not received a 'welcome packet' yet. It's been well over two months since I paid my dues. Any others with similar experiences?

Second question -- I sent an email regarding this (and discrepancies in my billing statement) to APA through the 'contact us' page on the website. I received an automated email from APA indicating that my email had been received and that I would get an answer. Two weeks later, still no answer. Late last week, I sent another email inquiring about the first email. No answer to email 2, either. Does APA reply to emails?

What am I paying for here? Surely not customer/member service.

Registered
    Jul 2007
    We got our welcome packets here about 2 weeks ago, so you should definitely call (passed in May as well). They have always been responsive to emails, but it sounds like something has fallen through the cracks. I would call and inquire about both issues.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I got mine a couple weeks ago as well. Just call. As long as you have paid, they will be helpful.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Aug 2001
    This is normal for APA/AICP. Everything takes several weeks longer than it should . People there always screw up. You will never get a response to any emails you send to them.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Call the office. Write down when you called. If you don't get a response withing a couple of days. Call the office again and ask to speak to Mr Farmer. This should get you a quick response. If you do get to speak to Mr Farmer, let him know how displeased you are with his staff.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2007
    I've actually found them quite helpful on the phone (and short of talking to the elusive Mr. Farmer mentioned below). Email takes about a week, but they do respond. Overall, I've found that they are quite responsive.. just abysmally slow. I too have still not received my welcome package (from the May exam, even though I've been a paid member since mid-July)..

Registered
    Jun 2011

November 2012 exam

I received an e-mail from the APA on Monday stating that they were a little behind on processing AICP applications, and they should let me know my status with the "next few business days". I was just wondering if 1) A lot of other people have received this? 2) What are others experience in how long is a few business days? especially in the APA's mind? & 3) How long should I wait frustrated before I start making some "polite" reminder calls?

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Achener View post
    I received an e-mail from the APA on Monday stating that they were a little behind on processing AICP applications, and they should let me know my status with the "next few business days". I was just wondering if 1) A lot of other people have received this? 2) What are others experience in how long is a few business days? especially in the APA's mind? & 3) How long should I wait frustrated before I start making some "polite" reminder calls?
    2) Six months!
    3) Three business days!
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2011
    Well, I don't know if this helps, but there's nothing really exciting in the welcome package. The box packaging is really impressive, but all there is inside is a pin and a certificate (not printed on good quality paper either, and mine was sloppily placed so it was dogearred). If any of you received additional goodies, let me know! Maybe I was robbed!

Registered
    Jun 2011
    I thought three days would do the trick, but I wanted to make sure not to piss anyone off. Especially since the approval is still "pending and under review".

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    they found out you were posting here and well, uh...the proverbial black helicopters came out...lol/jk

call them as others have said...

Registered
    Jun 2011
    I got away from the helicopters last night,and got a hold of the main operator today. Apparently they are down to only one person reviewing applications now, and of course he's off work today. It'll be after the weekend at the earliest to find out how far behind he even is.

Registered
    Jun 2011
    Someone must have been called into work. I got my approval while I was at lunch. *good feelings*, *anger lessening* *lessening*....

Registered
    Oct 2001
    There lack of responsiveness worked in MY favor. I passed the exam, in 2010. They didn't send me my approval letter until January 2011. That means I have until December 31, 2013 to complete my CM requirements. If they had been timely, and sent me my letter in 2010 I'd have only until the end of this year to get my 32 CM credits

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 6
    Last post: 27 Dec 2011, 2:06 PM
  2. Replies: 291
    Last post: 01 Aug 2011, 9:17 AM
  3. Replies: 34
    Last post: 14 Mar 2008, 9:49 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last post: 11 Aug 2006, 12:26 PM