Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Consultant salary?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008

Consultant salary?

I've been seeing some consultant jobs popping up and have no idea what they generally pay? If a job wants 5 years of experience but would require a move what would you say a good salary would be? What % increase, etc? I'm really lost in regarding private-sector openings because the public-salary info realm is so open.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    That's a wide open question you asked. This really depends on the type of consulting work you are pursuing and what level (researcher to partner?) which will vary tremendously. Expect longer hours in private sector than public sector, with or without compensation.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Aug 2002
    I'm sure the salaries are highly dependent on location, too.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    dependent on location, etc. Maybe calling the firm and ask for billing rates, than multiply that by 30%. That should than give you a pretty good estimate of what your hourly wage would more than likely be, than obviously go from there to figure out salary. This is a very rough estimate. Private sector is completely dependent on location, negotation of salary, type of work, and what you can bring to the table in terms of work and clients.
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    MSA Professional Services in Davenport IA to be precise. I've never worked with them in the towns I've been in but the quad cities is probably close to same standard of living as my current town.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    As others said, salary is contingent on your qualifications, your prior salary, the position you may fill, and the location of the job. You caould add in other variables as well. For a mid-level planner with five years of experience, I would guess they may pay about $40,000 with average benefits.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Mar 2004
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Oct 2005
    DetroitPlanner - made me laugh out loud!!!
    @GigCityPlanner

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal View post
    As others said, salary is contingent on your qualifications, your prior salary, the position you may fill, and the location of the job. You caould add in other variables as well. For a mid-level planner with five years of experience, I would guess they may pay about $40,000 with average benefits.
    Shoot. This is a good problem to have, but how do you deal with a current job that pays too well to leave? I make about 30% more than $40,000 so it wouldn't be a wise decision to move for less money but sometimes it feels as if we may become trapped in our current positions. Did you just wait for higher-level positions to open up that would be a rise or what?

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by paiste13 View post
    Shoot. This is a good problem to have, but how do you deal with a current job that pays too well to leave? Did you just wait for higher-level positions to open up that would be a rise or what?
    As long as the boss isn't an a-h0le, occasionally you get interesting work and co-workers are tolerable, I'd cash the paycheck and enjoy myself. No reason to risk in this world economy otherwise. Maybe someone will move and you can move up until you get lucky and something else comes along where the fam wants to move too.
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    I do not know what a particular firm might pay. If I did, I wouldn't say. If there is an opening, submit a resume. If you get an interview, then you will know. It never hurts to send out feelers and learn. As for the question of taking a cut, well, it depends on so many variables. I did it once...to get the most rewarding job ever.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. When a consultant goes bad
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 27
    Last post: 11 Mar 2011, 3:16 PM
  2. Life of a consultant?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 02 Aug 2010, 1:55 PM
  3. Budding Consultant
    Career Development and Advice