Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: How do I apply for jobs on the job board?

Registered
    Jul 2012

How do I apply for jobs on the job board?

There's no link or email or no contact information for many of the job posting. You can't even reply to the message. So how does one even apply for a job?

Registered
    Oct 2009
    I google the city/agency and then apply there. The ads in the job board are simply highlighting the jobs available, and works similar to the advertisements on other planning sites.
    And that concludes staff’s presentation...

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We went over the job listings, and removed those with no contact information. We also updated the job posting rules to make it clear that there needs to be some contact information in the listing.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We went over the job listings, and removed those with no contact information. We also updated the job posting rules to make it clear that there needs to be some contact information in the listing.
    That's kind of sad. I appreciated the load if information that used to be there. I can Google, I can find what's listed on the relevant website.

I preferred the unabridged job board to this new, stream-lined version; I think posters will be less likely to share their knowledge of an open position if they know they are responsible for adding so much background information to the post.
    "We are not going to have public meetings to review architecture. Public input ruins the idea of professional review." -Design Review Committee Chairman, 11/04/09

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally posted by WhenIGrowUp View post
    That's kind of sad. I appreciated the load if information that used to be there. I can Google, I can find what's listed on the relevant website.

I preferred the unabridged job board to this new, stream-lined version; I think posters will be less likely to share their knowledge of an open position if they know they are responsible for adding so much background information to the post.
    I no longer post on the job board for that very reason. Prior to the rule change, I would copy posts from local/regional/state listings and put them on our job board. Saves the job hunter from going to multiple sites for TX jobs - they were all here! Some posts had all the info in one place, other required a bit of research/Googling, but a job hunter could read the posting and see if they want to pursue it.

But now I don't post openings. And I noticed that the overall number of postings has dropped significantly since the rule change. dw914er has it right - The ads in the job board are simply highlighting the jobs available, and works similar to the advertisements on other planning sites. Most applicants can Google and find that relevant information you refer to.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Salmissra View post
    I no longer post on the job board for that very reason. Prior to the rule change, I would copy posts from local/regional/state listings and put them on our job board. Saves the job hunter from going to multiple sites for TX jobs - they were all here! Some posts had all the info in one place, other required a bit of research/Googling, but a job hunter could read the posting and see if they want to pursue it.

But now I don't post openings. And I noticed that the overall number of postings has dropped significantly since the rule change. dw914er has it right - The ads in the joard are simply highlighting the jobs available, and works similar to the advertisements on other planning sites. Most applicants can Google and find that relevant information you refer to.
    I've applied for about half a dozen jobs you posted in the Houston and Hill Country areas. I didn't have -any- luck, but I appreciated your efforts. Oh well, c'est la vie.
    "We are not going to have public meetings to review architecture. Public input ruins the idea of professional review." -Design Review Committee Chairman, 11/04/09

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Apply to jobs that are not local
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 24
    Last post: 27 Jan 2014, 5:46 PM
  2. Apply for jobs not fully qualified for or not?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 14 Mar 2008, 2:29 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last post: 06 Jan 2007, 10:12 AM