Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Early Voting - Have you ?

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003

Early Voting - Have you ?

Yes, only 3 people ahead of me this past wednesday.
    Today there is a line.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Yes, voted on Halloween. Not sure if it was a trick or a treat yet.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Mailed in my ballot sometime last week.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Why do you people hate America? It's your patriotic duty to stand in line and vote on Election Day, gosh darnit.

Mrs. Bubba did the early vote thing this week - about an hour combined between driving, waiting, and voting. As for me, I'll vote in our precinct around the corner from our house either mid-morning or mid-afternoon - generally the round trip plus voting takes under 10 minutes (or longer if I walk it - depends on the weather).
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Yepper! I voted last week & Mrs. P voted this week. Now if I could only get rid of the ads
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Mar 2007
    No early voting here unless being done by absentee ballot. If it was an option, I would probably take it up depending on the hours/location. The polling place for my precinct is about a block from my house and with so many retirees in our neighborhood, they haven't been too busy when I tend to go as soon as they open. However, I haven't voted there for a presidential election so who knows how it will be...
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    May 2004
    There is a line at the elections place next to my work today. I already voted and I always vote absentee because I don't trust the electronic machines.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    May 2005
    Voted yesterday. They had a sign on the wall saying that they no longer have the straight party voting as an option which I found interesting. Not that I mind placing each individual vote, but I wondered why they did away with it.

It was fairly busy at my polling station. I had to go into the auxiliary room as there were too many folks in the main room. This was at 3pm. Granted, most were blue hairs, but I was surprised that many people were there at that time.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Aug 2005
    No early voting here.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Wife and I did Monday morning. We stopped by the main county building here in NC but the line was down the sidewalk so we went to the community college and didn't wait at all. Two votes in for Romney in this former battle ground state, though the rest of my ticket was much more split, especially in local races where I like to read bios and answers to economic development questions to determine my choices.

This http://www.ncsl.org/legislatures-ele...ly-voting.aspx is a good interactive map with what states offer early voting vs. absentee - I'm still amazed at how OR and WA do it by mail only. How do you cut down on fraud with that type of a system?

Quote Originally posted by Bubba View post
    Why do you people hate America? It's your patriotic duty to stand in line and vote on Election Day
    I did this 4 years ago in SC where the precinct grew faster than the election board estimated and they didn't redistrict in 2000. The precinct we were in had 10000 more voters than any other in the county. Waited in line on election day for over 3 hours, almost had a panic attack as the line snaked down and back in a middle school. It was warm and I was staring at the same people for that long.
    @GigCityPlanner

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I voted Monday after about a 10 minute wait. The lines have been longer than that all week. An on-line story today reports that over 3 million Floridians have already voted.
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Registered
    Feb 2005
    No early voting here and I won't get my absentee ballot mailed in today (deadline) because I have no clue how to vote on most of the propositions yet (just haven't paid them any attention so far). So I'll just turn it in to my local polling place on Tuesday so I can get an "I voted" sticker.

Registered
    Nov 2009
    MW and I cast our votes today. LIne was a little over an hour long. Not too bad. Luckily, Screecher slept the entire time
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    No early voting here.
    ^ What she said.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    This was the first year I did the mail in ballot thing. Not sure if I will do it again. I worry what if my ballot gets lost in the mail. I also enjoy the process of voting on Election Day. Going to my polling place. If it is a nice day I walk. Sign in. Go in the little stall and mark my paper ballot (yes, paper ballot, it is Montana, afterall) and turn it over to the official, then she puts it in the metal box and I get a "I Voted" sticker. Then run the gaunlet of people with petitions and go home.

When I was a young adult there was no question if I would vote. My mom worked the polls in my precinct. If I didn't vote, there would be hell to pay!
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Absentee

In you're supposed to be over 65, or out of town that day, or working at a different polling place, or in line for the hoosekow. None of those apply, but I have a medical issue that day.

The clerk does not ask for a note from your doctor or bail bondsperson.

With absentee, they will mail it to you, and you can mail it back. I've taken my time on the dumb@$$ proposals (only one, the bridge gazillionaire, was a no-brainer).

Registered
    Nov 2006

Fat Cat

Walked into the Clerks office, two employees, no line, no waiting, provided my voter registration card, filled out a form, provided with a ballot, filled it out and voted, put the finished ballot in a secrecy envelope and dropped it in the box provided for same, Could not have been easier, The only people present during this period of time were the two employees and myself.
    And I parked right in front of City Hall and there were plenty of spaces available. Could not have been easier.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I'll wait until regular election day. Don't see any need to vote early. For some reason they changed my polling place this year from a few hundred feet from where I live to about half a mile.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    I can vote absentee or early at a polling place but I prefer to vote on election day...I just go for the sticker and for the opportunity to banter with poll workers.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Voted early, like I usually do for the big elections. County sets up a voting location in City Hall, so I took 10 minutes out of my day and voted. No fuss, no wait, and no having to deal with it on Tuesday.

I prefer early voting because I don't have to wait in line, no petitioners (my location is inside city hall, not in the lobby, so you can't camp out for your candidate), and the election clerks know what they are doing. You don't get the newbies at my location!

Hubby went to vote on Friday afternoon near home, and the line was out the door, around the building and into the parking lot. He decided he'd rather vote on Tuesday.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Jan 2006
    over a month ago

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Hmmm, seems like a political thread to me.

We can submit absentee ballots. Tomorrow I am going to vote in person with most of the other people.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    Hmmm, seems like a political thread to me.

We can submit absentee ballots. Tomorrow I am going to vote in person with most of the other people.
    I did not intend it to be, all I was asking if you had early voting & did you. That is not political just a question of access.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    May 2005
    I've never understood why we have only one day for voting when it comes to the POTUS.

I would institute a minimum three-day voting period for POTUS elections.

Would there be bipartisan support for this? Or is this too liberal of an idea in that it would allow more poor people to vote?
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I vote early so I can drink while I do it...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 7
    Last post: 13 Jan 2010, 10:38 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 08 Jun 2006, 9:59 AM
  3. Fun with voting in Ohio
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 29 Oct 2004, 8:43 PM
  4. Practice voting
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 06 Oct 2004, 9:46 AM
  5. On the subject of communities and voting....
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 05 May 2004, 5:49 PM