Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Using AICP credentials

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006

Using AICP credentials

I just passed the exam this past Friday My boss would like me to start using the credentials as soon as possible. We have a few proposals going out the door in the next couple of weeks. Have you guys used the credentials immediately, wait until the AICP dues are paid, or not until you have the slip of paper in your hand?

Thanks-

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2006
    If it were me, I'd probably start using them immediately.

Yes, you run a bit of danger of someone complaining, but that's pretty minimal.

Registered
    May 2002
    I put "AICP" on my resume immediately. Don't wait, go for it. Get your employer to print up new business cards too.
    Back home just in time for hockey season!

Registered
    Dec 2002
    You can begin using the AICP title as soon as the test results that appear on your computer screen at the testing center indicate that you passed. You do not have to wait until you have paid any additional dues. You're AICP when you officially pass the test.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    From the AICP website:

Passing the exam does not automatically make you a member of AICP. You will receive a prorated invoice for your new AICP dues, bringing them into the same billing cycle as your APA dues. Please do not begin using the AICP designation until your AICP dues are paid and you are a full member of AICP.

riiiight.....
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Thanks for the responses. I am waiting to update my business cards until I pass the LEED-AP exam sometime next year. Then I will add both credentials.

Registered
    Dec 2002
    From the AICP website:

Passing the exam does not automatically make you a member of AICP. You will receive a prorated invoice for your new AICP dues, bringing them into the same billing cycle as your APA dues. Please do not begin using the AICP designation until your AICP dues are paid and you are a full member of AICP.
    I stand corrected.

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Notice that you're not supposed to use the 4 little letters until after you pony up the dues. <insert oft repeated APA rant here>.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Nov 2006
    Do you sign just your name or do you write out the initials?
    How about you take a gander at making an executive decision for once, huh?

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I passed the AICP exam a few weeks ago and am awaiting my bill before I officially begin using the letters.

I'm updating my resume for a job applicaiton and do any of you have suggestions on how to indicate my status in the interim?

AICP, pending ?
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    A Ph.D. candidate who has completed the course work but not the dissertation is often referred to as an "ABD" (all but dissertation). You could be an ABD, too: all but dues.

Registered
    Jun 2011

AICP Raise

I passed the exam this morning, and well I feel like telling everyone! Now comes the hard part. I work for a local government with budget constraints, but this should be the grand-daddy of reasons for ask for a raise. I want to find the balance of get the maximum amount of raise from my boss without pissing him off that I screw myself. Curious to see what other techniques people have tried in the last few years. Should I go for broke to negotiate down, or shoot for something reasonable and hope I get everything I ask for?

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Achener View post
    I passed the exam this morning, and well I feel like telling everyone! Now comes the hard part. I work for a local government with budget constraints, but this should be the grand-daddy of reasons for ask for a raise. I want to find the balance of get the maximum amount of raise from my boss without pissing him off that I screw myself. Curious to see what other techniques people have tried in the last few years. Should I go for broke to negotiate down, or shoot for something reasonable and hope I get everything I ask for?
    I got a $0 raise. It was expected that I get certified, so it wasn't really a selling point for me. I think it is a marketable when you are looking for a job, just not quite as much if you already have a job. Good luck though.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Raises are based on merit where I come from. The awarding of a credential or an advanced degree don't mean jack if you're not valuable.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Jul 2009
    You have to show that you have the cojones to ask. You have to show you have the tact to not be angry when you are told the letters don't translate to much in the new normal of ever-lower budgets. All letters now are merely a way to show that the employer pays as little as possible for 'top' talent.
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Registered
    Jun 2011
    Thanks everyone. I think that gives me a starting point on how to ask. Although it is not expected for me to get it, I think saying that AICP is an indication of top talent might get some traction in the office. All I can do is go to the plate and swing.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    When I was working in the public sector my credentials meant nothing. There was no such thing as raises, only cost of living increases that usually fell below the actual increase, pay freezes, and diminished benefits to reward employees for their hard work and longevity. Those who have remained have since receveid the added compensation of unpaid furlough days and a stripping away of their rights. Honestly, I think the time to bring it up ould be when you are going through your next review, when you can point to it as something you have done to improve your value to the employer.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I'd like to echo what Cardinal said--bring it up at your next regular review rather than as a separate discussion, as this allows you to also emphasize your specific contributions to the employer as reflecting your value. When it comes to asking for raises, timing is as important as the amount you ask for, and you want to present your case on multiple fronts (getting a credential, value to employer over the prior years, credential as indicative of talent, etc.).

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Jul 2009
    All I can do is go to the plate and swing.
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman View post
    this allows you to also emphasize your specific contributions to the employer as reflecting your value. ... you want to present your case on multiple fronts (getting a credential, value to employer over the prior years, credential as indicative of talent, etc.).
    Extending the metaphor, letters after your name is more like having your right hand end up under your chin after the swing (I'm a righty) - it shows a certain type of form, but not necessarily whether you contacted the ball.
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Thanks everyone. I think that gives me a starting point on how to ask. Although it is not expected for me to get it, I think saying that AICP is an indication of top talent might get some traction in the office. All I can do is go to the plate and swing.
    If they say "no to a raise" you can always ask the agency to cover your yearly dues. I asked, and my boss granted it.
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Raf View post
    If they say "no to a raise" you can always ask the agency to cover your yearly dues. I asked, and my boss granted it.
    That's what I would have said. If no raise the least they can do is pay your 300-400 dollar dues or at the very least split them with you. They should have a budget line item for professional credentials like PE, etc.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Tide View post
    That's what I would have said. If no raise the least they can do is pay your 300-400 dollar dues or at the very least split them with you. They should have a budget line item for professional credentials like PE, etc.
    If they pushed you to get them, there is an expectation they will pay some or all. That's what they wanted after all.
    -------

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 16 May 2012, 11:05 AM
  2. Replies: 33
    Last post: 02 Mar 2009, 2:18 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 02 Apr 2008, 2:46 PM
  4. APA and/or AICP?
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 05 Aug 2003, 12:35 PM