Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask me anything

Registered
    Feb 2004

Ask me anything

Go ahead and ask me anything. I'll either answer it or scrupulously ignore your question.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Which is better - to poll or not to poll ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 2007
    How much do you resemble Mr. McFeely in real life? That's what I imagine you look like.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Do you think that those old Hostess comic ads printed in comic books will ever come back?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Which is better - to poll or not to poll ?
    To not poll.

Quote Originally posted by WSU
    How much do you resemble Mr. McFeely in real life? That's what I imagine you look like.
    I actually look more like Fred Rogers in real life....hey wait a minute - you've seen me in real life!

Quote Originally posted by Wannaplan? View post
    Do you think that those old Hostess comic ads printed in comic books will ever come back?
    That is an excellent question! If you think about the concept of time as being like a Mobius strip - you will understand that they never truly left us.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Why do you hate Escher and love Mobius?
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Aug 2001
    If I can, should I? What if I can't? Should I still try, anyway?
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    May 2002
    Where should I make my parents take us to dinner tonight?
    Maintaining enthusiasm in the face of crushing apathy.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal View post
    If I can, should I? What if I can't? Should I still try, anyway?
    It depends.

Quote Originally posted by Coragus View post
    Where should I make my parents take us to dinner tonight?
    To the finest pizza establishment in town

Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    You can't fool us, ofos! You don't actually care how I respond to that "question", now do you?

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Do you think that lights cones truly have anything to do with our perception of time?
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    You can't fool us, ofos! You don't actually care how I respond to that "question", now do you?
    Au contraire! Your use of an Escher print to illustrate a Mobius strip time concept raises a number of questions. Now fess up!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post
    Do you think that lights cones truly have anything to do with our perception of time?
    I don't buy the contention that signals and other causal influences cannot travel faster than light. We already know at the quantum level that doesn't hold true.

Quote Originally posted by ofos
    Au contraire! Your use of an Escher print to illustrate a Mobius strip time concept raises a number of questions. Now fess up!
    I confess I don't know what a mobius strip really is, and therefore could not possibly use an Escher drawing to illustrate the principle. I just thought it was a nice picture. If you insist on pressing the issue further I shall insist it was purely a coincidence.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    I confess I don't know what a mobius strip really is, and therefore could not possibly use an Escher drawing to illustrate the principle. I just thought it was a nice picture. If you insist on pressing the issue further I shall insist it was purely a coincidence.
    Given your admitted ignorance, why did you start a thread to ask you questions?

Registered
    Nov 2009
    I don't buy the contention that signals and other causal influences cannot travel faster than light. We already know at the quantum level that doesn't hold true.
    Geek!

Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Given your admitted ignorance, why did you start a thread to ask you questions?
    Because one may only learn and know the true scope of one's ignorance when confronted with a pointed question.

Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient
    Geek!
    Could you rephrase this question please?

Registered
    Jun 2009
    If "'tis always better to give than to receive", then what is the point of giving? To make the receiver feel inferior?

What is the meaning of the universe?
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Dec 2008
    What's the strongest angry reaction you've ever had?
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Because one may only learn and know the true scope of one's ignorance when confronted with a pointed question.
    Much like One may only learn and know true pain when one is jabbed with a pointed stick.. Are you a Zen Maister?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Rygor View post
    If "'tis always better to give than to receive", then what is the point of giving? To make the receiver feel inferior?
    The trick of it is to make sure you are on the correct side of the giving and receiving end of things. Giving someone a black eye for instance is vastly superior to receiving one (and that addresses your making the receiver feel inferior question too.[/quote]

Quote Originally posted by Rygor
    What is the meaning of the universe?
    The universe is what it is.

Quote Originally posted by ofos
    Much like One may only learn and know true pain when one is jabbed with a pointed stick.. Are you a Zen Maister?
    Is there another kind?

Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    What's the strongest angry reaction you've ever had?
    Probably the time I pulled the chandelier from my parents ceiling when playing Tarzan (personally I think they made too much of it. I would have been more inclined to write off the experience as the youthful exuberance exhibited by a 32 year old)

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Why do you hate Fran Drescher and love Moby?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess View post
    Why do you hate Fran Drescher and love Moby?
    (talk about a softball question)
    Because she has a super annoying voice and he's a musical genius.

hey, I get it, that was a play on words. Very clever.
    Last edited by Maister; 20 Nov 2012 at 1:29 PM.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    What's the name of the James Bond film where he disguises himself by donning a superfluous nipple?
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    What's the name of the James Bond film where he disguises himself by donning a superfluous nipple?
    I want to say that was 'The Man with the Golden Gun' but am not 100% positive (without googling)

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Then do you believe that FTL travel is possible?
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Dec 2008
    I want to say that was 'The Man with the Golden Gun' but am not 100% positive (without googling)
    No no, that's right. Thanks i remember now. Wouldn't there be "technical" problems in making a gun out of gold?

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast