Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How spontaneous are you?

Registered
    Aug 2005

How spontaneous are you?

How spontaneous are you? Do you plan your days to the minute or can you drop everything at a moment's notice?
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Is undisciplined the same as spontaneous?
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Is undisciplined the same as spontaneous?
    For you and me and the purposes of this conversation, let's say "Yes"...and....

Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    How spontaneous are you? Do you plan your days to the minute or can you drop everything at a moment's notice?
    It depends somewhat. I like there to be a "plan" because it just seems like the appropriate thing to do, but I am the first to trash the plan and start over or just bag it because you feel like it BUT....always to be replaced by another plan that you intend to probably abandon for something funner/more shiny/more chocolate-y as soon as it arises.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    May 2005
    My wife and I are both spontaneous when it comes to making plans. Having kids somewhat dampens this spontaneity though.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    My wife and I are both spontaneous when it comes to making plans. Having kids somewhat dampens this spontaneity though.
    Hell, my wife and I had some of the kids spontaneously! I'm kind of a problematic fit for a successful adult life. It's not a big secret.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Not very, but I've gotten much better over the years, thanks to my hubby. He's taught me how to take vacations without a set itinerary.

I thought this thread was going to have one of those 20-question, multiple-choice quizzes you see in women's magazines...

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Um...let me get back to this thread with a well considered and thorough response.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    It depends somewhat. I like there to be a "plan" because it just seems like the appropriate thing to do, but I am the first to trash the plan and start over or just bag it because you feel like it BUT....always to be replaced by another plan that you intend to probably abandon for something funner/more shiny/more chocolate-y as soon as it arises.
    Word......

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Three letters: ADD

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I'm spontaneous about more things in life than I am structured.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    sometimes.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I'm not very spontaneous but I wish I was. It would be great to just get a pet sitter, pack a bag, and fly off to where ever for a weekend. Or just get in the car and drive. The pets, like children, make this difficult.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Only when I plan it out ahead of time.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    This is difficult to answer. I certainly plan ahead but almost all my plans lack specificity. I like knowing what direction I'm going but not being bogged down by specifics.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I'm not very spontaneous...wait, why are you asking? Are you trying to get me to do something else? I already have my day planned!
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I'm not, tho I fall in the Blide category of not having every little detail planned out. Kinda like Saturdays for me. I have rough goals of what I want to accomplish but don't have every minute planned out.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    May 2005
    I'm not very spontaneous but I wish I was. It would be great to just get a pet sitter, pack a bag, and fly off to where ever for a weekend. Or just get in the car and drive. The pets, like children, make this difficult.
    It's harder to be spontaneous due to animals than it is with children. Especially if you don't board/kennel your animals when you leave. When you have both, it's a nightmare.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Blide View post
    This is difficult to answer. I certainly plan ahead but almost all my plans lack specificity. I like knowing what direction I'm going but not being bogged down by specifics.
    This is me on weekends, vacations, and slow weeks at work. There's a general, amorphous shell of a plan, but the specifics are not nailed down.

Busy weeks at work, though - I'm a total list maker, with a plan for the morning, and another for afternoon. Very little extra/spontaneous activities on those days!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Evidently not - I waited for 17 previous posts before I looked in...

Somethings I am somethings I'm not - depnds on who, what, where & when
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jul 2006
    I'm think I'm more flexible than spontaneous. Spontaneity takes more creativity and energy than I usually have. Spontaneous combustion is not a concern most of the time.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    My life is over scheduled....so not very.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    And +1. We used to be very with one and more disposable income. Now not so much. The most spontaneous we got this year was on our way home from my folks house we did a 45 minute detour to San Francisco to check out Union Square for the kids. They loved it, and my wife and I remembered all our happy memories when we would venture there almost every other month.
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I happily recall a very memorable and spontaneous kiss in Union Square.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    When we go on trips, ZG is the researcher, list maker and worrier. I'm much more spontaneous and willing to just let things unfold and happen. Or maybe I'm lazy. Anyway, it makes for in interesting balance.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    I am a planner. What is this spontaneous thing you'all talk about?

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 15
    Last post: 04 May 2007, 7:53 AM