Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The colo(u)r of your city's squirrels

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

The colo(u)r of your city's squirrels

Buffalo doesn't have fireflies, but it has squirrels in great abundance. Most of the city's squirrels are fat critters, with gray fur.

When I first visited Toronto as a child, I noticed that the city's squirrels had fur that was almost jet black. It was the squirrels that made me realize I was truly in a foreign country.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Mar 2002
    When I lived in Washington, DC the squirrels generally were gray. But in the area around the State Department (Foggy Bottom) black squirrels predominated. I figure there was a localized breeding population in which the gene for black fur was strongly present.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Olney Illinois has white squirrels.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    The squirrels here are grey, and I occasionally see red squirrels.

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Eastern grays here, but a county out in the western part of the state is well known for their large population of white ones.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    The squirrels in Newark are grey. The squirrels in Princeton are black. I guess that's like a foreign country. They have a web page http://www.princetonblacksquirrel.co...ge_title=About
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Apr 2006
    When I lived in Michigan we had black, red and grey squirrels. I had never seen all three colors of squirrels in on yard.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Mar 2004
    The west side of Detroit had brown squirrels while the east side had black ones. I am using the past tense as the black squirrels have seemed to migrate and now you see more of these skinny black squirrels on the west side than you see brown squirrels.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

The squirrels around here are yellowish, but that could just be the seasoning I'm using.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Olney Illinois has white squirrels.
    I was going to mention this. Haven't seen them but read about them. Squirrels in Chicago are your standard gray.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    The west side of Detroit had brown squirrels while the east side had black ones. I am using the past tense as the black squirrels have seemed to migrate and now you see more of these skinny black squirrels on the west side than you see brown squirrels.
    Please don't tell me that white squirrels used to be dominant in Detroit, but now most can be found only north of Eight Mile, where there happen to be very few black squirrels. Except in Southfield.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Nov 2009
    We have fluffy brown squirrels. I love them.
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Grey, although the flying squirrels tend towards brown.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    May 2005
    During my time in West Michigan, I never saw a black squirrel. Definitely prevalent on the east side of Detroit. Up in Port Huron, black squirrels all over the place.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Mar 2007
    The squirrels in my neighborhood are almost all the brown or red squirrels with a few black squirrels mixed in. If I go about two blocks further east where the neighborhoods are considerably more dense, the squirrels most of the squirrels are grey ones. If I go down to the campus of Wayne State University in Detroit I notice nearly all the squirrels are the thin black ones. Yesterday we were in Port Huron and the golf course we were at had black squirrels running around everywhere.

I've always found it interesting how the squirrels seem to really segregate themselves.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    During my time in West Michigan, I never saw a black squirrel. Definitely prevalent on the east side of Detroit. Up in Port Huron, black squirrels all over the place.
    There are of black squirrels around here and Marshall, but not where I live which is 30 miles south. Those ones are brown.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Mostly red / brown around here, but I'd like to paint one fuscia.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I've never seen anything but grey around here.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    About 50/50 brown and black. An odd thing 40 years ago all the squirrels were brown. I remember seeing a black squirrel maybe 25 years ago and thinking it an oddity
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Predominantly eastern greys, but the occasional brown one can be glimpsed.

Apparently, the squirrels in Denmark are exclusively white. When my mother emigrated here in '46, one thing her mother tried to use to persuade her to stay was to tell her how dirty America was. Mom had wanderlust and came anyway. Shortly after her ship arrived in New York, she saw her first American squirrel: an eastern grey, and thought 'Gee, it really is dirty -- the squirrels are filthy!'
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    According to Wiki, we've got eastern grey, fox and flying squirrels. Considering the snakes, coyotes and other carnivors here, our squirrels must had mad ninja skills.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Jul 2006
    In Dallas we have the Eastern Fox Squirrel which is grey (gray) on it's back and has a rust colored (coloured) underside. At my country place about an hour east of Dallas, we also have those but we also get a black variation that come from the woods across the road and another species called cat squirrels which a significantly smaller and are grey with a white underbelly and have white tufts on their ears. We do not have the little red squirrels that are common in SW Michigan.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Almost all squirrels found in cities of Montana are imported Eastern Grey Squirrels. Outside the cities there are several species of ground squirrels, chipmunks, prairie dogs, and marmots.

The Richardson's Ground Squirrels are very common. They have a peculiar habit of standing by the side of the road and running across when a car gets near. As a result, they are the most common type of road kill. I call them "Suicide Squirrels."
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    Almost all squirrels found in cities of Montana are imported Eastern Grey Squirrels. Outside the cities there are several species of ground squirrels, chipmunks, prairie dogs, and marmots.

The Richardson's Ground Squirrels are very common. They have a peculiar habit of standing by the side of the road and running across when a car gets near. As a result, they are the most common type of road kill. I call them "Suicide Squirrels."
    Might those be what we often refer to around here as "Pot Guts"? The behavior you describe would lead me to believe so.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Inside of town here they are mostly the gray variety of the Eastern Grey Squirrel. Fox squirrels are around but mostly out in the country. Up in North Central Iowa, where I grew up they were mostly fox squirrels the red ones. The town where my mom lives up there, there is a population of black fox squirrels. The flying squirrels occur around here but are rarely seen since they are nocturnal.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 55
    Last post: 08 Oct 2006, 8:31 PM
  2. Zoning: the city's foe.
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 23
    Last post: 26 Jul 2005, 1:23 PM
  3. Replies: 32
    Last post: 20 Apr 2005, 11:17 PM