Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: TS needs jeans help

Registered
    Nov 2009

TS needs jeans help

Okay people. I own only 1 pair of jeans. They no longer hold their shape and I need to replace them. So, any suggestions out there on where to find a really great pair of jeans?

They need to last a long time, be super comfortable, pass for casual and semi-casual wear, and I strongly prefer they are not stretchy. It is really difficult to find women's jeans that are not loaded with spandex anymore. Oh, I would also like them to have pockets. That is another feature that is nearly impossible to find in women's pants.

What does the throbbing brain say about all this?
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post
    Moderator note:
    split from RTDNTOTO7

Aren't you a mom now? Shouldn't you be wearing Mom jeans?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Nov 2009
    lol I should have known!
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    lol I should have known!
    Off-topic:
    I thought I was pretty charitable with the thread title. Originally it was "TS needs help dressing herself", but I figured you are probably too sleep deprived to find humor in that.

I'm afraid I can be of little assistance. I don't even own a pair of jeans.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Jeans are not my favorite, which is why I only own 1 pair, but they really are wonderful sometimes!

I also need some new Cords, but cannot find any that I like.
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    You can order them from the TV infomercials - they are the fantastic, butt shaping Pajama Jeans!!!
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I'm not a woman but these always looked comfortable:

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-li...jeans/1357040/
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Guys, guys....stop it!

Waves at TS, lets go shopping!

For jeans (non stretchy)-I also share your love of non-stretchy jeans and find that Lucky Brand makes a great non-stretchy jean. They are a bit on the expensive side, 70-90, but you can find discounted ones at your local retail discounter (think TJ Maxx and the like). A good pair of Luckys will last you and they look great casual and dressy. As for cords, a tough find this season, they must not be "in" for women, because all the cords I wear are ones I have bought in winters past. Also, I don't like "skinny" cords, which are the only ones I can find right now in stores. You may need to go catalog for that, LL Bean, Eddie Bauer, etc.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I go to Dillards in Toledo's Franklin Park to buy all my pants or jeans. They seem to have a great selection for 6'5" tall men. Definitely worth my time over driving from mall to mall only to be disappointed by Macy's, Sears, Von Maur, Lord and Taylor, Nordstroms, Pennys.......
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    I go to Dillards in Toledo's Franklin Park to buy all my pants or jeans. They seem to have a great selection for 6'5" tall men. Definitely worth my time over driving from mall to mall only to be disappointed by Macy's, Sears, Von Maur, Lord and Taylor, Nordstroms, Pennys.......
    Not sure this helps TS.

I got nothing. I'm a dude.

But I feel your pain. My wife recently had to ditch her favorite pair of jeans, and it was a depressing day in the btrage household. This one favorite pair was from GAP, but not all of her jeans are from there.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Think you might be up for a road trip to Crocker Park?

In all the jean-buying advice I've seen for women, the stock answers are "shop around a lot, and don't be afraid of high-end department stores" and "go to a specialty denim store like Diesel, and ask an overeager salesperson."

Only one pair of jeans? That's unusual. I've got a few different pairs, which I choose depending on the activity. Is that one pair designer denim?
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    My wife wears Silver Jeans and Lucky Brand jeans--I'm a big fan of both and neither appear to have spandex in them.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Costco has men's jeans for less than $14. It is a name brand, too - Kirkland - so they are fashionable. I do not know about women's jeans, though.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    You can order them from the TV infomercials - they are the fantastic, butt shaping Pajama Jeans!!!
    You beat me to it!

When I need jeans I go to Macy's...they are everywhere and have all of the clothing you could ever need. If your community does not have one then move; its not worth living there.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Does Levis have stores where you are? They have a pretty good selection and I thought the sales people were helpful.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    When in doubt, go to google!

How to Look Good in Jeans (Women)

Quote Originally posted by WikiHow
    1. Buy jeans that are your size. Buy nothing smaller or nothing bigger than your actual size. Go to a variety of stores and try on several pair to be sure.
    2. Identify your body type. Are you top heavy? If you carry most of your body weight in your torso, consider a boot leg jean or jeans with a slight flare to balance out your bottom half. If you carry a lot of your weight in the butt, hip, and thigh areas, you'll want to avoid slim-fit jeans, because they make those "problem areas" seem a lot bigger. Go for a straight legged jean to make your legs look longer and thinner. If you have a thin, rectangular figure create some curves by trying skinny jeans.
    3. Pay attention to the rise of the jean. If the rise is too high, you will get a "pooch" which will make you look like you've got a bigger belly. If the rise is too low, any fat you have will spill over the waist band.
    4. Consider dark wash jeans. They're easier to dress up, and look good on a range of sizes. They are very flattering to any figure.
    5. Variety is the spice of life, it has been said. Depending upon your budget, think about buying a few different brands, colors, or styles to suit your mood or social needs.
    6. Be sure you are comfortable in the jeans you buy, because if they do not look good on you, you won't look or feel confident in yourself.
    7. Look over all brands. Do not feel you have to spend a large amount of money to obtain designer jeans. Many lower priced brands will serve you well in fit and color, and several can be purchased for the price of one of the higher priced brands. Even the dollar stores sell jeans and would be worth a look.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Jul 2006
    I hear they're making great strides in jeans therapy, I'd suggest a transplant is order.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Resale places

I have several pairs of jeans, some designated for home improvement or yard tasks, and others for "nice." Thrifts are my couturier of choice. They have a wider variety than a new goods retailer, in any distressed or used condition you'd like. And if one doesn't have the perfect pair (for less than $10), another one will.

Registered
    Feb 2005
    I recently bought a new pair at Nordstrom's after shopping a few other stores, during their semi-annual sale. Haven't tried Lucky Brand but I've heard good things. I used to like the jeans at Express but I guess I've aged out of their target demographic, all their jeans looked really cheesy to me this past shopping trip. Good luck, jeans shopping is almost as bad as swimsuit shopping.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I am plus size so probably not a whole lot of help for most regular size range jeans. I too, dislike spandex in my jeans. My current favorite pair of jeans is from Talbot's-dark rinse, boot cut, medium weight that I can dress up and down, no stretch. I got them on a pretty good sale they had. Talbot's has misses and petite sizes as well. J. Jill is another place to look, theirs have a more casual feel to them but everything I've ever gotten there has worn well over time.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    Not sure this helps TS.
    To a certain extent I agree with you 100 percent. However, if they have quality clothes and a selection big enough where I can find something, I am suspecting that the women's department has to be similar.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    Only one pair of jeans? That's unusual. I've got a few different pairs, which I choose depending on the activity. Is that one pair designer denim?
    They are Calvin Klein. I got them at Ross (a sister of TJMaxx, which incidentally I can no longer shop at since they are both on the HRC naughty list). I love these jeans.
    Quote Originally posted by beach_bum View post
    For jeans (non stretchy)-I also share your love of non-stretchy jeans and find that Lucky Brand makes a great non-stretchy jean. They are a bit on the expensive side, 70-90, but you can find discounted ones at your local retail discounter (think TJ Maxx and the like). A good pair of Luckys will last you and they look great casual and dressy. As for cords, a tough find this season, they must not be "in" for women, because all the cords I wear are ones I have bought in winters past. Also, I don't like "skinny" cords, which are the only ones I can find right now in stores. You may need to go catalog for that, LL Bean, Eddie Bauer, etc.
    I have heard great things about Lucky jeans. I have never tried them. I think I will hunt them out this time!
    I am having the same problem with cords this year. They are all either "skinny" or "super skinny". I am pretty sure they were all designed for 16 year old girls since the cuts feature no room for hips or booties.
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    All this chat about the Glass City from you has me thinking you secretly live in O-H-I-O and are using the mitten state as cover.
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    All this chat about the Glass City from you has me thinking you secretly live in O-H-I-O and are using the mitten state as cover.
    I should be so lucky.... Even Toledo is shangri-la compared to Detroit!

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I always buy Gloria Vanderbilts "Amanda" jeans. Well, since they also come in petite/short sizes. They are regularly on sale at Kohl's or Penneys for 20-25 bucks and I can find them sometimes at Bealls outlets for $17. Dark and light wash. They always fit great. I have maybe 10 pairs of jeans so I won't spend for fashion jeans, some prices are insane!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    I have several pairs of jeans, some designated for home improvement or yard tasks, and others for "nice." Thrifts are my couturier of choice. They have a wider variety than a new goods retailer, in any distressed or used condition you'd like. And if one doesn't have the perfect pair (for less than $10), another one will.
    Do they let you try them on? Most of the thrift shops around here don't have dressing rooms and from my experience the size an item says it varies so much I would never want to buy pants without trying them on.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Are sweatpants the new jeans?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 27
    Last post: 18 Dec 2012, 9:15 AM
  2. Women and jeans
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 29
    Last post: 13 Feb 2012, 7:21 PM
  3. Jeans With Holes