Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: what's a loser?

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005

what's a loser?

You know the person who kisses up, has to take control of everything and drives everyone nuts, the person you don't want to sit next to at the function, blah blah - but what if that person is the one promoted, never seems to get in trouble for stuff the person wrongfully did, gets a raise even, etc.

is this person a loser?

what if somoene you see as a loser maybe really isn't?

what's your definition?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    is this person a loser?
    Nope. That person is an asshole.

what's your definition?
    Defining a "loser" is like describing the difference between a nerd, geek and dweeb. There's actually good losers, those whose loserdom is not self-inflicted, but imposed usually by external forces,.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Nov 2009
    My definition is pretty simple. A loser is someone who has no drive in life, no desire/ambition to make the world around them better, and typically feels that they are entitled to things simply because they exist. They generally coast through life, make little effort, and frequently suck up enormous amounts of time and energy from those around them. They are also the people who are the first to complain and the last to suggest ways to improve things in a meaningful and intelligent manner.
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Someone who doesn't want to win. Whether it be a life, sports, or difficult situations.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    Someone who doesn't want to win. Whether it be a life, sports, or difficult situations.
    but what if that's just depression?

Registered
    May 2005
    I believe the answer is Beck.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jan 2005
    but what if that's just depression?
    I think that is a toughy, but most people I know with depression want to win... they just can't. Or they don't feel like it that day. You are not a loser if you have a chemical imbalance... at least I don't think so...
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    phew thanks - I needed a comic relief pondering the meaning of life this week...

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    I'd say a loser is someone who is unmotivated and often gives up before they try.

I'm hesitant to use that label though since I recognize there are many people who are outwardly like that but in reality are nothing of the sort. I mean I can resemble my own definition if someone doesn't understand what makes me tick. Despite appearing unmotivated, I've so far accomplished everything I've set out to do. It's just I choose to remain somewhat guarded about my ambitions since they so far haven't involved staying where I'm at.

I remember a coworker telling me I had no motivations after having just graduated with a masters at age 24. It's just kind of awkward to say my plans don't involve working here.

Registered
    May 2005
    phew thanks - I needed a comic relief pondering the meaning of life this week...
    I try.

This happens at my wife's work place. People who should be fired somehow stick around and get more responsibilities. Often they are "protected" by others within the organization because of friendship. If it happens at her work it must happen a lot of places. The tough part is that her company could do so much better if these people went away. Are these people "losers"? In regards to how they perform their job, yes.

It's tough for her to deal with. But I truly believe in karma, even though the good karma sometimes takes a long time to come back our way.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    May 2004
    I try.

This happens at my wife's work place. People who should be fired somehow stick around and get more responsibilities. Often they are "protected" by others within the organization because of friendship. If it happens at her work it must happen a lot of places. The tough part is that her company could do so much better if these people went away. Are these people "losers"? In regards to how they perform their job, yes.

It's tough for her to deal with. But I truly believe in karma, even though the good karma sometimes takes a long time to come back our way.
    That's been the case everywhere I have ever worked and pretty much everywhere my wife has ever worked as well. Is it actually not the case at some places of employment?

On a slightly different note, I think we should be careful about ascribing loserdom to people with no apparent ambitions. Some people are plenty happy to live a simple life making ends meet and being happy. Not everyone wants to stress out trying to be a manager or a rich person.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    Nope. That person is an asshole.

Defining a "loser" is like describing the difference between a nerd, geek and dweeb. There's actually good losers, those whose loserdom is not self-inflicted, but imposed usually by external forces,.
    I agree with Dan. A perennial underdog can be a "loser". Sometimes I think that having the drive or ambition that makes you always end up on top of the heap does not truly make you a "winner". It just means you're "willing" to do whatever is necessary.

Is Bernie Madoff a "Winner" or a "Loser"? What about before he was caught?
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    It all depends on the context, but I generally classify losers as people who are apathetic about themselves when they know how much better they actually are.

One can lose, but they are lot a loser if they gave it their all.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    That's been the case everywhere I have ever worked and pretty much everywhere my wife has ever worked as well. Is it actually not the case at some places of employment?
    I think some places let it get a whole lot worse than others. The ones that astound me are those people who are so incompetent they're not given any responsibilities while somehow remaining employed.

It reminds me of another definition for loser. A self-righteous know-it-all that's actually accomplished nothing with their lives. I just love when these people give me unsolicited advice about things they know nothing about.

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post

On a slightly different note, I think we should be careful about ascribing loserdom to people with no apparent ambitions. Some people are plenty happy to live a simple life making ends meet and being happy. Not everyone wants to stress out trying to be a manager or a rich person.
    To me it isn't enough to not be ambitious, but to also expect a great deal in return for one's lack of effort. The simple life seems pretty good to me, though I doubt I could stick with it since I am relatively ambitious and competitive. I wouldn't, however, expect the world to bend over backwards for me. When I think of losers, I more or less picture certain in-laws. They don't want to do any work, want all the gadgets and gizmos that one could possibly own, and are the first people to get nasty when they are inconvenienced in any way. They have really molded my definition of loser.
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I expect in some people's book I am a 'loser', but in others' am not. That's just how the whole 'eye of the beholder' thing works out.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    The person LP describes is not a loser. As Dan so eloquently put it, that person is an asshole.

I'm not sure lack of drive or ambition is a good definition for a loser. I know people that lack drive or ambition, but are incredibly happy. I don't like to lump someone in as a loser if their problems are exclusively or mostly the result of external forces beyond his/her control. To me, to be classified as a loser takes a certain amount of apathy toward one's own existence and a failure to utilize one's talents in some produtive way (however you define 'productive') coupled with a sense of entitlement. You can be successful by many measures and still be a loser. By that same token, you can be unsuccessful by those same measures and not be a loser. In my experience, geeks, nerds, dorks, etc. rarely fall into the "loser" definition.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I think Bob Seger said it best:

He wants to dream like a young man
    With the wisdom of an old man
    He wants his home and security
    He wants to live like a sailor at sea

Beautiful loser
    Where you gonna fall?
    When you realize
    You just can't have it all

He's your oldest and your best friend