Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 APA Conference - Chicago

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001

2013 APA Conference - Chicago

It looks like things are falling into place to the point where I can attend. Eldest son visiting the panhandle in February. He's getting married in August. I'll blow off APA-Florida in September.

Windy City here we come!!!

Who's up for a laefest?
    Last edited by Richmond Jake; 01 Jan 2013 at 4:01 PM. Reason: engrish

Registered
    Oct 2005
    My name is on the list for consideration but the company won't make that decision for several more weeks. Stay Tuned.
    @GigCityPlanner

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I already got it into the budget for this year, so I intend to there. I spent the first 8 years of my professional career in the Chicago area and know it well.

I would definitely be up for a laefest.
    Last edited by mendelman; 02 Jan 2013 at 10:59 AM.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Not a chance in the hot place down below.

I'll either be working not in the field making way less than I am now, but much happier than I am now, or I'll be working a similar/at least close to the field position and happy, but have no seniority and therefore not going.

I won't be working here regardless of anything else, and since they don't pay for s&^%, it wouldn't matter.

My goal was to be gone by now. However, paying off dental surgery means I'm here at least one more month.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Jul 2006
    I might if my boss will pay for it. Oh wait, I work for myself and I'm sure not going to pay for a slacker like me to go to a "professional" conference.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I'd like to go and it's not out of the question but that is a very busy time of year for me in the office so it is unlikely.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Dec 2008
    I'm hoping to be allowed to go, but it wasn't in the original budget. Went to LA last year and took the family, which wouldn't work for Chicago. I'd have to travel alone which I haven't done since my pharma rep days. I keep pretending to my wife that I don't want to go.....I am a bad man.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Nope. I will be at NeighborWorks Training Institute in Portland the second week of May. The org foots the bill for that and it's a relative bargain at $400-flight and hotel included thanks to our charter member status. I don't have AICP anyways, so nothing to maintain.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    If I went, the cost is totally out of my own pocket. Would you spend that much ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    I might if my boss will pay for it. Oh wait, I work for myself and I'm sure not going to pay for a slacker like me to go to a "professional" conference.
    I am in the same boat. It all depends on lodging.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I'm undecided. I could probably beg for funds based upon AICP but I also need some intensive training for FBC so that might win out.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Kinda on the fence here. I love Chicago and have been to the last two national conferences that were held there. I don't think by boss would object and understands that my family is from up in that area. Its gonna really depend on how much room is in the budget and making sure my staff gets to attend the conferences they need to attend.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    alas - no money in my department or personal budget - never been, always wanted to go too

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I live close enough to Chicago that I would at least come in for the Leadest, even if I do not attend the conference.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    If I went, the cost is totally out of my own pocket. Would you spend that much ?
    Same here and, frankly, there's no chance I'm going to drop that kind of personal cash.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Suddenly RJ's dickwad boss wants to go; I won't be tagging along. I'd rather be waterboarded...

Registered
    May 2002
    I'm trying to finagle a way to attend but the conference hotels are well over $200 a night plus close to $50 a day to park a car. Anybody familiar enough with Chicago and its hinterlands that you can suggest a suburb with decent commuter train access?
    He's a planner, he's a dreamer, he's a sordid little schemer,
    Seems to think that money grows on trees . . .

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally posted by MD Planner View post
    I'm trying to finagle a way to attend but the conference hotels are well over $200 a night plus close to $50 a day to park a car. Anybody familiar enough with Chicago and its hinterlands that you can suggest a suburb with decent commuter train access?
    When I went to the National in Chicago in 2002 you could easily take the L into the city from the airport with no transfer (I think) to within 1 block of the hotel.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Look along the norh, northwest, or west routes. Finding a hotel near a station in the suburbs may be a challenge, though. You will also pay to park at the station, and will have the cost of the ticket. If you look in the downtown area you should be able to find a decent hotel for perhaps $150, and you would be better off not getting a car. Chicago is a place where you can get by without having to drive.

ZG - Come along, but ditch the boss and hang out with Cyburbians instead.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Fortunately all of the major suburbs are on commuter lines (with some very interesting and unique downtowns/TODs). I grew up in Park Ridge near the airport, and there are plenty of hotels near the Cumberland CTA and Rosemont CTA. I'm not sure if they are going to be that much cheaper, but you are very close to trains and most hotels provide shuttles to train stations.
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Look in the O'Hare area. You can then take the Blue Line downtown. It takes about 50 minutes. Some hotels will have shuttles than can take you to the train. Of course its a lot less convenient but it should be cheaper.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Not going to happen on this end. We barely get to go to state conference and basically get to go because of AICP/CM credits
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2012
    There are a number of reasonably priced hotels in and around the Loop. There's no need to head to the suburbs just avoid the immediate vicinity of the conference hotel.

One day CTA pass (unlimited rides) is $10 and a 3 day pass is $20.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Michigan City IN? If things get really tight, that is the route that I am going to go. (If I go that is)
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal View post
    I live close enough to Chicago that I would at least come in for the Leadest, even if I do not attend the conference.
    I was thinking the same thing....

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 19
    Last post: 02 Oct 2013, 6:34 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 01 Oct 2013, 7:25 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 20 Apr 2013, 8:35 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last post: 06 Jan 2013, 4:16 PM