Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Patriot community: not only gated, but walled, wired, and mined!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008

Patriot community: not only gated, but walled, wired, and mined!

Apparently they're now developing a master planned community for "patriots." I somehow find it amusing that it sounds more regulated than any neighborhood.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Moderator note:
    split from RTDNTOTO8

Okay, maybe not mined, but I'll bet the intended occupants would probably not object if it were.

Thanks for the link Blide. This community says volumes about the mental state of many 'patriotic' libertarians. My first thought when I saw this was I wonder how these folks would feel if they knew they'd adopted the fundamentalist redoubt blueprint seen in Taliban-dominated portions of Pakistan?

They use the word "community" but one can't help but wonder if "compound" might not be closer to the mark, given the blatant attempt to assemble with all like-minded Believers
    Last edited by Maister; 14 Jan 2013 at 10:20 AM.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    To be located in Idaho-there's a big suprise.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I'm a little mad I didn't think of it first. If I have to put up with these nutjobs, I can at least put them in one place and take a bunch of their money.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Nov 2006
    I'm thinking it would be worth the effort to do a little fund raising and help some our local "Patriots" buy one-way tickets out to "The Citadel".

Is Idaho a favored landing spot for these birds because ...
    1. it's isolated.
    2. has cheap land.
    3. lacks environmental laws (I noticed the reference to the "recycling police").
    4. it's filled with wackos.
    5. most of the above are true.
    6. all of the above are true.

I've only met a couple of people from Idaho in my life, and they both seemed pretty normal.
    If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. -- John F. Kennedy, January 20, 1961

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    This has got to be a joke. If it isn't, wow.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Jan 2005
    This is one of the funniest things I have ever seen. It is Hannity, Beck, and Limbaugh all mixed into an episode of Doomsday Preppers. I can only imagine what happens when there isn't zero unemployment and trash is littered everywhere. Gotta love the anti-government nutjobs...
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Also the funniest part about this... if the government wanted to take over... they would just have to have one drone put a bomb in their community to make those patriots "fight" be over. Who do they think they can fight?

I really don't get the idea that you can have a factory produce guns and that makes you safe? If the government is going to take over... they are going to take over. No gun factory or walled compound will stop that.

A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    Also the funniest part about this... if the government wanted to take over... they would just have to have one drone put a bomb in their community to make those patriots "fight" be over. Who do they think they can fight?
    I thought exactly the same thing. Seems like from a strategic standpoint they'd be further ahead trying to achieve greater dispersion instead of concentration. Putting all their eggs in one geographic basket while fighting a "war" with government forces would only simplify the Evil Gubmint's task
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    May 2005
    I'm not sure how they can promise no property taxes, ever. Even if the land is held in trust by the non-profit, there are taxes to be paid by some entity. I work for a similar, though apparently less Freedom-loving, model of land holding and we wrangle with the County Assessor on taxes from time to time. But someone still has to pay something. Dang gubment...

Regardless, this is fantastically amusing. We'll see how far they get. Beck's plan is interesting, too....
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Jan 2009
    My favorite part (outside of this being a gobmint plot to put all the patriots in one place so they can ruin the rest of the country) is the regulations placed on the patriots.
    1. Your house vill be concrete
    2. You vill finish the inside (but it's you choice on how)
    3. You vill remain armed at all times (so if I walk out of the house without a gun they'll shoot me?)

For more fun, look at the artist's sketch and consider some basic planning (I know it's a communist idea, but the community needs better connections).
    Also, if you're going for a defensive community think Roman towns with the highly organized layout or midevil towns with the completely organic layout that enemies get lost in.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    This is soo pase
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Okay last favorite part...the agreement you must sign to be considered...

http://iiicitadel.com/patriotagreement.html

And for those who don't want to go to the site...

One: Once ratified, this list of conditions may only be altered by unanimous consent of all parties governed by this Agreement, i.e. full-time Residents. Full-time residency will be defined by a select panel of full-time Residents who will also establish guidelines for acceptable exceptions for absences.

Two: Every able-bodied Patriot aged 13 and older governed by this Agreement shall annually demonstrate proficiency with the rifle of his/her choice by hitting a man-sized steel target at 100 yards with open sights at the Citadel range. Each Resident shall have 10 shots and must hit the target at least 7 times.

Three: Every able-bodied Patriot aged 13 and older governed by this Agreement shall annually demonstrate proficiency with a handgun of choice by hitting a man-sized steel target at 25 yards with open sights at the Citadel range. Each Resident shall have 10 shots and must hit the target at least 7 times.

Four: Every able-bodied Patriot of age within the Citadel will maintain one AR15 variant in 5.56mm NATO, at least 5 magazines and 1,000 rounds of ammunition. The responsibility for maintaining functional arms and ammunition levels for every member of the household shall fall to the head of household. Every able-bodied Patriot will be responsible for maintaining a Tactical Go Bag or Muster Kit to satisfy the Minuteman concept. Details TBD and posted elsewhere.

Five: Every household within the Citadel will remain stocked with sufficient food, water, and other preparedness essentials (to be detailed elsewhere) to sustain the needs for every member of the household for a duration of one year.

Six: Every able-bodied Patriot aged 13 and older shall pass a class every three years sponsored by the Citadel on basic emergency medical care; the courses shall focus on battlefield and wilderness environments.

Seven: Every child attending Citadel schools — with parental discretion for maturity — shall have as part of every semester's class curriculum basic marksmanship and firearms safety training leading to the proficiency test on the child's 13th birthday as a "Coming of Age" rite of passage (a parent may attend the classes or personally train the child if so desired). Children attending schools beyond the Citadel, or home-schooled, are required to meet the same proficiency standards at age 13.

Eight: All Patriots, who are of age and are not legally restricted from bearing firearms, shall agree to remain armed with a loaded sidearm whenever visiting the Citadel Town Center. Firearm shall be on-the-person and under the control of the Resident, not merely stored in a vehicle.

Nine: Each household will provide ONE able-bodied Patriot (aged 13 or older) who shall muster one Saturday per month for Martial/Support Training for neighborhood-level training & musters, as set forth by the Militia Commanders of the Community. No single Patriot shall be required to muster more than once per quarter. In the course of every calendar year every able-bodied Patriot and every full-time resident in each household must participate in at least three musters (one neighborhood-level and two full-scale). Part-time residents must participate, in good faith, to the best of their ability.

Ten: Twice annually a full-scale Town Defense Drill will be held for all households and all residents (once in winter weather & once in summer weather).

Eleven: The Town Militia will hold an award/recognition ceremony on April 19th each year to celebrate Patriot's Day.

Twelve: Violations of this Agreement will result in review by an arbitration panel consisting of Citadel Residents with appropriate and proportional disciplinary action taken. The most severe disciplinary action may include the loss of Lease and expulsion from the community.

Thirteen: All Citadel Citizens agree to accept dispute resolution by an arbitration panel in the event a problem that cannot be resolved between residents.

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Wow-So many good lines in there, but my favorite has to be:

"The Citadel is not profit-driven. The Citadel is Liberty-driven: specifically Thomas Jefferson's Rightful Liberty."

If only more developers focused on liberty!
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    My family moved into a gated community when I was 11. It started off with the gate being closed only at night, with a night watchman. It progressed into having sheriff's deputies manning it 27-7 and patrolling. At my last visit to see my mom, the guards have a very nice kiosk with air conditioning and cable TV. I could see having the job myself.

Living in a gated community, with one road in and out and separated from the rest of the world by a river and miles of woods, all the "crime" was committed by the bored kids inside. Which begged the question: was the purpose of the gate and the security to keep the bad people out or keep the bad people in?

Like other Cyburbians, I do like the idea of getting the nutjobs all in one place where we can keep an eye on them. Used to be we kept paranoids in mental hospitals, then we let them out, and now, at least some of the paranoids seem interested in voluntarily locking themselves up. That is what I call progress.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Jul 2006

I really don't get the idea that you can have a factory produce guns and that makes you safe? If the government is going to take over... they are going to take over. No gun factory or walled compound will stop that.

They'd have a better chance, but still a futile effort, as a Patriot missile community.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Mar 2004
    They are also proposing to this on an island park designed by Fredrick Olmstead in the City of Detroit and give it its own commonwealth nation status!

http://www.democraticunderground.com...medium=twitter
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    May 2005
    I also like how they tout that there will be no HOA or folks from City Hall telling them what to do (including the "recycling police"), but there is apparently, with respect to residency, "a select panel of full-time Residents who will determine allowances for absences." There is also “an arbitration panel consisting of Citadel Residents” who can decide on disciplinary action for behaviors that violate the agreement (including revoking the Lifetime Lease). But that's not an HOA, I guess. TOTALLY different from enforcing CC&Rs, right? Hey, at least they are free from tyranny!
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Jul 1998
    It is getting pretty hard to get enough AR-15s to meet the requirements.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by wahday View post
    I also like how they tout that there will be no HOA or folks from City Hall telling them what to do (including the "recycling police"), but there is apparently, with respect to residency, "a select panel of full-time Residents who will determine allowances for absences." There is also “an arbitration panel consisting of Citadel Residents” who can decide on disciplinary action for behaviors that violate the agreement (including revoking the Lifetime Lease). But that's not an HOA, I guess. TOTALLY different from enforcing CC&Rs, right? Hey, at least they are free from tyranny!
    wahday, you clearly hate America, and freedom, and probably want to live in some kind of Orwellian state! Not so in the Ciitadel; there, everyone is equal, but some are more equal than others.

I can't wait to read what ColoGi has to say about the 'foamers' latest enterprise.

Registered
    May 2004
    It's no laughing matter, well - actually it is a laughing matter. Hilarious!!

But seriously, there is a lot of money to be made in the delusional right-wing market. These people know what they are doing. People like Glenn Beck especially, are brilliant businesspeople.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    I wonder if there is any zoning for that poor Idaho county? Most likely not, but wouldn't it be funny.
    Also, how does this get handled as a non-conforming use. I am not doing the enforcement in this community if the county gets zoned.
    Last, how does the tax appraiser do his job?
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    They are also proposing to this on an island park designed by Fredrick Olmstead in the City of Detroit and give it its own commonwealth nation status!

http://www.democraticunderground.com...medium=twitter
    Would it be too much to ask to build another bridge to Canada? That omission is pretty short-sighted.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Jul 2009
    No, they'll have hardened tunnels and bury plenty of old shipping containers; drones can't carry anything heavy enough to penetrate that, but what they can do in general won't stop manned aircraft. I'm all for it and the sooner they move away from me and Go Galt the happier the rest of civil society will be. I'm with Linda B and we should take up a collection to speed them along. Even better, we should help Tejas secede so they can all go there, fence themselves in, and live in Nirvana.
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Design for a gated community
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 20 Jun 2008, 2:46 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 05 Mar 2007, 1:17 AM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last post: 17 Aug 2004, 3:35 PM
  4. Replies: 48