Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The 2013 NHL trash talk thread

Registered
    Jan 2005

The 2013 NHL trash talk thread

Does anyone else care that the NHL season has started after the long lockout? I'm starting to get into hockey a little bit and there's a lot of nuances to the game that I find interesting.

I find it funny that hockey is the official sport of Canada but no Canadian team has raised the Stanley Cup in over 20 years. Meanwhile there are successful cup-winning franchises in Tampa Bay, Anaheim, North Carolina and Los Angeles of all places.

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    Does anyone else care that the NHL season has started after the long lockout? I'm starting to get into hockey a little bit and there's a lot of nuances to the game that I find interesting.

I find it funny that hockey is the official sport of Canada but no Canadian team has raised the Stanley Cup in over 20 years. Meanwhile there are successful cup-winning franchises in Tampa Bay, Anaheim, North Carolina and Los Angeles of all places.
    I'm a big Red Wings fan and I am knowledgeable about the sport. But I don't consider myself a hockey fan.

I'll watch the Red Wings on TV and probably go to a game or 2. But the NHL probably has the most meaningless regular season among the major sports (example - last year's Kings team wining the Cup). Therefore, I just can't follow the sport with any real interest.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    I'm a big Red Wings fan and I am knowledgeable about the sport. But I don't consider myself a hockey fan.

I'll watch the Red Wings on TV and probably go to a game or 2. But the NHL probably has the most meaningless regular season among the major sports (example - last year's Kings team wining the Cup). Therefore, I just can't follow the sport with any real interest.
    Me too. But we won't pay the money to go to hockey games. Not worth it. We've started going to indoor lacrosse instead. The kid loves it. And I'm stuck in Avs territory, and barely worth watching these days so I can wear a Red Wings shirt these days. And the college team - DU - is worth watching as well. Lots of alternatives to dropping 2 C notes to watch live hockey, and the league has only themselves to blame.
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Hockey is great sport live but is unwatchable on TV. When the Coyotes played in downtown Phoenix I would go 5 or 6 times a year. Since they are an hour away in Glendale I only go if I get lower level, Saturday and free tickets. Plus with the whole ownership thing I wish they would move. They have the lowest attendance in the league, no one watches them on TV and the stadium besides being so far away is too large it like a funeral is about to take place.

I was a Whalers fan and followed them to Carolina. Why the Whalers...I loved the team name as a kid for it lack of political correctness.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    I was a Whalers fan and followed them to Carolina. Why the Whalers...I loved the team name as a kid for it lack of political correctness.
    They need to bring back the Whale. It was a crime they ever left Hartford. Remember the whalers song 'Brass Bonanza'?

Registered
    Apr 2006
    They need to bring back the Whale. It was a crime they ever left Hartford. Remember the whalers song 'Brass Bonanza'?
    Remember...it was my ring tone several years ago.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Oct 2001
    The officiating in the NHL is abhorrent, and it makes watching games very frustrating. So, I don't. If I want to watch someone get screwed, pron is cheaper.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Mastiff View post
    The officiating in the NHL is abhorrent, and it makes watching games very frustrating.
    Yeah, penalties seem extremely subjective. For whatever reason NHL coaches seem to complain a lot less about the officiating than coaches in other sports do though.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    I watched the 1st period of the 'Canes v. Bolts game last night. The official went over to the bench and explained to the coach each time a penalty was called.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Thanks to the Wings for giving the Stars an ego boost last night, not that it will make any difference by the end of the (half?) season.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Bruins! Although beating the Maple Leafs isn't much of an accomplishment since they're such an awful franchise.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2011
    Bruins! Although beating the Maple Leafs isn't much of an accomplishment since they're such an awful franchise.
    This year, its a decent accomplishment. The Leaf's have a pretty decent team, I think Boston's size is wearing them down though, they rely a lot on their speed. I thought Montreal would be doing better in their series, but Price isn't really showing up, and they are taking awful penalties for no real reason. Getting Karlsson back really helped the Sens out.

I'm a HUGE Carolina fan. You Whalers fans can probably appreciate this, but I was able to attend the Hurricanes Alumni game this season. Brind'Amour, Francis, Wesley, and Kron all on the ice together! Featured some notable 'Canes as well, Battaglia, Halko, Willis...it was a fun game to watch. Tripp Tracy was one of the goalies!

I didn't get to attend any games this year, but most years I attend 3 or 4.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    What is this "hockey" of which y'all speak?

Seriously, though, neither the Jets nor the Flames appear to have made the playoffs, so I'm happy. Screw Tom Cousins, and screw the Atlanta Spirit Group.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    May 2005
    I stayed up until 1 AM for nothing.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I like the way Ottawa is playing. They are just bullying Montreal around.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Bruins had this one all the way

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Bruins had this one all the way
    I made the "mistake" of turning the game off at 4-1, and posting a rant on Facebook about the choke job being worse than against Philly a few years ago. I'll take my crow now, gladly. Fortunately a few friends convinced me to turn the game back on.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    May 2005
    Unbelievable meltdown by Toronto. As a Red Wings fan, I know what it's like to feel frustration, having not won a Cup for 45 years prior to 1997, and having suffered some playoff collapses. The Leaf's current 45 year drought seems unbearable compared. They've never really been that close and have had some excruciating losses.
    Last edited by btrage; 14 May 2013 at 9:59 AM.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by NHPlanner View post
    I made the "mistake" of turning the game off at 4-1, and posting a rant on Facebook about the choke job being worse than against Philly a few years ago. I'll take my crow now, gladly. Fortunately a few friends convinced me to turn the game back on.
    I decided it was time to take my dogs out at around the point when the Leafs were up 4-2 with 2 minutes left or so. When I got back in it was tied at 4 and heading into overtime and needless to say I was pretty shocked. The Leafs goalie just choked in the worst way possible.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2011
    I decided it was time to take my dogs out at around the point when the Leafs were up 4-2 with 2 minutes left or so. When I got back in it was tied at 4 and heading into overtime and needless to say I was pretty shocked. The Leafs goalie just choked in the worst way possible.
    Meh, I thought Toronto's D did the choking, Reimer played well, but when he's getting screened by his own players, and not having anyone tie up Lucic in the slot, what more can he do? Plus, the game tying goal was a nasty deflection that almost any goalie would have a tough time stopping. I will say the game winner was pretty much on him though, he was flopping around like Tim Thomas.

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by AG74683 View post
    Meh, I thought Toronto's D did the choking, Reimer played well, but when he's getting screened by his own players, and not having anyone tie up Lucic in the slot, what more can he do? Plus, the game tying goal was a nasty deflection that almost any goalie would have a tough time stopping. I will say the game winner was pretty much on him though, he was flopping around like Tim Thomas.
    Except Tim Thomas is a Stanley Cup/Conn Smythe winner and 2-time Vezina winner (and a Michigan native ).

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    Except Tim Thomas is a Stanley Cup/Conn Smythe winner and 2-time Vezina winner (and a Michigan native ).
    Well yeah, because Timmy T makes flopping an art form

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by AG74683 View post
    Reimer gives up way too many rebounds, but I also agree that the defense in front of him was terrible.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Rangers dropping 5 on the Caps last night was very satisfying.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Last time the Blackhawks will face the Red Wings in an early round series now that Detroit is going over to the east. Should be a hard fought series with plenty of physicality but I expect the Hawks to pull it out in 5 or 6. They are just too strong this year and can turn it on whenever they need to.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. 2013 CFFL Trash Talk Thread
    Fantasy Football
    Replies: 37
    Last post: 24 Dec 2013, 12:03 PM
  2. Replies: 295
    Last post: 01 Nov 2013, 11:29 AM
  3. 2009 North Trash Talk Thread
    Fantasy Football