Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29

Thread: Brand name is synonymous with product

  1. #1
    Chairman of the bored Maister's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Location
    on my 15 minute break
    Posts
    18,167

    Brand name is synonymous with product

    I don't do it that often these days, but still I occasionally slip....and I just got some odd looks when I announced "I'm going downstairs to Xerox this [document]". Once upon a time the name Xerox was synonymous with the word photocopy but that has changed over the years as other competitors have come to the fore.

    I'll bet most of you use Kleenex and Scotch tape...or do you actually say "I need some facial tissues" or "pass me that clear cellophane adhesive tape"

    Any other brand names you use that are synonymous with products or services?

    Now if you'll excuse me I need to search the internet for information and have to Ask Jeeves the history of the Xerox Company....
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

  2. #2
    Cyburbian wahday's avatar
    Registered
    May 2005
    Location
    New Town
    Posts
    3,872
    Bandaids!
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

  3. #3
    Cyburbian jsk1983's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    2,099
    Rollerblades

  4. #4
    Cyburbian btrage's avatar
    Registered
    May 2005
    Location
    Metro Detroit
    Posts
    6,420
    Kleenex
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

  5. #5
    Cyburbian WSU MUP Student's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Lowering the PCI in the Hills
    Posts
    5,776
    Quote Originally posted by wahday View post
    Bandaids!
    Band Aid always calls themselves "Band Aid Brand" in print and TV ads these days because they want to remind folks that Band Aid is a name brand, and, more importantly, if they lose that brand recognition other brands of bandages can legally begin to market themselves as band aids. They are actively fighting becoming truly synonymous with the product.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

  6. #6
    Cyburbian btrage's avatar
    Registered
    May 2005
    Location
    Metro Detroit
    Posts
    6,420
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    Band Aid always calls themselves "Band Aid Brand" in print and TV ads these days because they want to remind folks that Band Aid is a name brand, and, more importantly, if they lose that brand recognition other brands of bandages can legally begin to market themselves as band aids. They are actively fighting becoming truly synonymous with the product.
    I'm not even sure what the generic term is for Band Aid.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

  7. #7
    Cyburbian ofos's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Slightly Off-Center
    Posts
    8,259
    Coke. In many parts of the South, it's synonymous with soft drink.

    "Good morning Sugar, what kind of drink would you like?"
    "I'll have a coke"
    "What kind, Sweetheart?"
    "Dr. Pepper"
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

  8. #8
    Cyburbian Veloise's avatar
    Registered
    May 2004
    Location
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Posts
    4,785
    Q-tips
    Jell-o
    Kool-aid

  9. #9
    Cyburbian Planit's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    Location
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Posts
    7,319
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Coke. In many parts of the South, it's synonymous with soft drink.

    "Good morning Sugar, what kind of drink would you like?"
    "I'll have a coke"
    "What kind, Sweetheart?"
    "Dr. Pepper"
    That is so true
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

  10. #10
    Cyburbian dvdneal's avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Remote command post at local bar
    Posts
    4,631
    Coke has always been the word for me when it comes to any soda or pop (does anyone still use pop?).
    My wife might be one of the few people who still uses generic terms like tissue and clear tape, but a band-air is still a band-aid.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

  11. #11
    Cyburbian WSU MUP Student's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Lowering the PCI in the Hills
    Posts
    5,776
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    I'm not even sure what the generic term is for Band Aid.
    I had to think about it and guessed at "bandage". I know that in our house any band aid is a band aid regardless of whether or not it's a Band Aid.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

  12. #12
    Cyburbian Plus Zoning Goddess's avatar
    Registered
    Sep 1999
    Location
    400 miles from Orlando
    Posts
    13,775
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    I'm not even sure what the generic term is for Band Aid.
    I think in Britain, they're called "sticking plasters".

    The British also use Hoover as a catch-all name for vacuums.

  13. #13
    OH....IO Hink's avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Hang on Sloopy...land
    Posts
    10,087
    This is one of those things that has always intrigued me...

    Popsicle.
    Jacuzzi.
    Frisbee.
    Hula Hoop.
    Chap stick.
    Brillo Pads.
    Crock-pot.
    Jet Ski.
    Onesies.
    Q-Tips.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

  14. #14
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Wherever
    Posts
    1,181
    Guess a Segway would be one since I have no idea what those things would be called.

  15. #15
    Cyburbian Veloise's avatar
    Registered
    May 2004
    Location
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Posts
    4,785
    Quote Originally posted by dvdneal View post
    Coke has always been the word for me when it comes to any soda or pop (does anyone still use pop?).
    ...


    http://www.popvssoda.com/

  16. #16
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Wherever
    Posts
    1,181
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    Off-topic:
    I find it funny how strong a boundary state lines are in that map. I'm skeptical that that's actually the case in reality.

  17. #17
    Cyburbian Plus Zoning Goddess's avatar
    Registered
    Sep 1999
    Location
    400 miles from Orlando
    Posts
    13,775
    Quote Originally posted by Blide View post
    Off-topic:
    I find it funny how strong a boundary state lines are in that map. I'm skeptical that that's actually the case in reality.
    I find it odd that one of the most thinly populated areas of Florida, with tiny towns populated by people 4th or 5th generation (or even further back) to that area, shows up strongly for "pop".

    Also because I went to college in Massachusetts, and most of my fellow students from New England, Philly, NJ, or NY used "pop", but that whole area shows on the map as "soda".

  18. #18
    Cyburbian ofos's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Slightly Off-Center
    Posts
    8,259
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    I find it odd that one of the most thinly populated areas of Florida, with tiny towns populated by people 4th or 5th generation (or even further back) to that area, shows up strongly for "pop".

    Also because I went to college in Massachusetts, and most of my fellow students from New England, Philly, NJ, or NY used "pop", but that whole area shows on the map as "soda".
    My grad school friends from MA & PA called it either "soder" or "pawp", except for the ones who said "tawnic".
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

  19. #19
    Cyburbian mgk920's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Appleton, Wisconsin
    Posts
    4,170
    Jacuzzi
    Zamboni
    Dumpster
    Jake Brakes


    Outside of the USA:

    Aspirin ('ASA' in Canada)

    Mike

  20. #20
    Chairman of the bored Maister's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Location
    on my 15 minute break
    Posts
    18,167
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    My grad school friends from MA & PA called it either "soder" or "pawp", except for the ones who said "tawnic".
    Were these the same kids who used to pahk their cahs in the yahd at the pahty?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

  21. #21
    Cyburbian ofos's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Slightly Off-Center
    Posts
    8,259
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Were these the same kids who used to pahk their cahs in the yahd at the pahty?
    And laugh at the way we said "garage" and "roof".
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

  22. #22
    Cyburbia Administrator Dan's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 1996
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    14,584
    Blog entries
    3
    When I was a kid, I got a kick out of commercials like this on Canadian TV.



    For old people, Davenport and Barcalounger.



    Did every man smoke a pipe in the 1950s?
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

  23. #23
    Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Location
    De Noc
    Posts
    18,164
    Check out this list -

    The Top 100 “Genericized” Brands (Synonomous With Their Product Categories)
    http://robdkelly.com/blog/marketing/...icized-brands/
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)


    Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

  24. #24
    Cyburbian Coragus's avatar
    Registered
    May 2002
    Location
    Kzoo
    Posts
    1,085
    It isn't common, but I have heard carbonated non-alcoholic beverages referred to a coke since getting exiled to Kentucky.

    As in, "What kind of coke do you want?" Again, I'm not quite far enough south for it to be common, but I have heard it a few times.
    Back home just in time for hockey season!

  25. #25
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Wherever
    Posts
    1,181
    Quote Originally posted by Coragus View post
    It isn't common, but I have heard carbonated non-alcoholic beverages referred to a coke since getting exiled to Kentucky.

    As in, "What kind of coke do you want?" Again, I'm not quite far enough south for it to be common, but I have heard it a few times.
    Can't say I've ever heard that living in the south. People always ask "what do you want to drink?" since sweet tea obviously doesn't fit into the soft drink category.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

  1. Which Hostess product wil you miss ?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 34
    Last post: 19 Nov 2012, 6:08 PM
  2. Product Recalls
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 21 Feb 2008, 11:57 AM
  3. Replies: 14
    Last post: 11 Oct 2006, 6:33 PM
  4. Replies: 48
    Last post: 17 Jun 2005, 9:19 AM
  5. Replies: 92
    Last post: 19 Dec 2003, 10:14 PM