Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 MSRED applicants

Registered
    Jan 2012

2013 MSRED applicants

This forum has provided a lot of valuable information for me, but I have noticed that there isn't much discussion around the 2013 MSRED application process. I've just submitted all of my applications and am looking forward to getting accepted, making a decision, and enrolling. I thought I'd start this thread as a central point for any new MSRED discussion, especially considering that so much of the information on the forum is now dated.

A little about me. I'm 27, work in finance in NYC, and am applying to Columbia, Cornell, and MIT. I'm also applying to a couple of business schools with real estate concentrations.

I am preparing the application for the next year. Do you mind to share your GMAT score and years of working experience?

Registered
    Jan 2012
    Hey myqqlala, I'm glad someone replied to this thread.

My GMAT is over 700 and I have five years of work experience, though only three of them are real estate related. What programs are you considering?

Registered
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally posted by Losantiville View post
    This forum has provided a lot of valuable information for me, but I have noticed that there isn't much discussion around the 2013 MSRED application process. I've just submitted all of my applications and am looking forward to getting accepted, making a decision, and enrolling. I thought I'd start this thread as a central point for any new MSRED discussion, especially considering that so much of the information on the forum is now dated.

A little about me. I'm 27, work in finance in NYC, and am applying to Columbia, Cornell, and MIT. I'm also applying to a couple of business schools with real estate concentrations.
    I have applied to Columbia MSRED 2013 as well. Wanted to apply to MIT but didn't write the GMAT and didn't have time to prep. Far more keen on being in NYC as well.
    GPA 3.4; GRE 164 Verbal 158 Quant 5.5 Writing.
    Work in real estate brokerage at a CBRE/JLL/C&W type company.

Registered
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally posted by chrisjr View post
    I have applied to Columbia MSRED 2013 as well. Wanted to apply to MIT but didn't write the GMAT and didn't have time to prep. Far more keen on being in NYC as well.
    GPA 3.4; GRE 164 Verbal 158 Quant 5.5 Writing.
    Work in real estate brokerage at a CBRE/JLL/C&W type company.
    Good luck to you. I think the NYC location of Columbia is a big plus, especially if you want to get into large scale urban development, which is their forte. Director Chakrabarti has an impressive background and seems to be doing great things with the program, but I'm somewhat unnerved by his apparent adoration of the skyscraper. My interests are a bit more nuanced and lean toward master planned developments and midsize cities and communities. Because of this, I lean more toward MIT and Cornell.

Registered
    Jan 2013
    My niche is definitely urban focused. Interested more on the investment and acquisition side of the business professionally rather than development, but I am eager to learn a bit about the development side as well. Would you mind elaborating on Director Chakrabarti's 'adoration of the skyscraper'? In my research & discussions that wasn't an apparent impression.

When are you expecting to hear back from the programs? I'm getting antsy. I think first round goes out at the beginning of March.

Registered
    Jan 2012
    If you're more interested in investment and acquisition, what made you choose the Columbia MSRED over other programs or business schools? My impression from my visits and research has been that Columbia is probably the program that is most heavily development focused.

Chakrabarti is well known for his preference for vertical urbanism. His past projects, his public statements, and the focus of the Columbia MSRED program under his leadership confirm this. The New York Observer captured it in their profile of him from 2009 titled "Professor Skyscraper." It's not necessarily a bad thing, but I do believe it serves to underpin the philosophy and direction of the program.

I've heard from Cornell already and was admitted. No news from Columbia or MIT. MIT informed me after I submitted my application that I would hear by the first of April. I'm not sure about Columbia.

Registered
    Jan 2013
    Interesting, when I visited the campus and sat in on a few classes, I suppose they were skyscraper-focused. The program has heavily expanded their finance offerings in the past couple of years, and this year will be expanding their partnership with the Columbia Business School. They've brought in a new Dir. of Academics, I don't have her name handy but she is listed on the website.

What attracted to me to this program was that several mentors in my network have attended it and highly recommended it, its location, the duration of the program, and postgrad opportunities. The other on my radar was MIT. Many of the other top schools were eliminated due to their location/the location of the alumni network.

I've just printed the article you mentioned and will read it en route home, thanks for that.

I'm also going to reach out to the admissions office and see if they have an estimate. I have read from previous years most first round offers are sent in the first or second week of March, with a second round at the end of March.

Registered
    Feb 2013
    hey i called columbia msred admissions bc im interested in applying for next year. i was kinda unnerved by their unwillingness to offer an admitted class profile like most business schools and law schools do. do you guys have any insight into the kinds of stats people have that get admitted there? im just trying to determine what sort of minimum gmat/gpa numbers are competitive. appreciate the help.

Registered
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally posted by chadxviii View post
    hey i called columbia msred admissions bc im interested in applying for next year. i was kinda unnerved by their unwillingness to offer an admitted class profile like most business schools and law schools do. do you guys have any insight into the kinds of stats people have that get admitted there? im just trying to determine what sort of minimum gmat/gpa numbers are competitive. appreciate the help.
    I've never seen any data on the Columbia MSRED class profiles, which would be consistent with your experience calling the admissions office. My guess is that their average GMAT and GPA figures are lower than their peer programs, primarily because the Columbia MSRED program is larger and by all accounts easier to get into. That's a complete guess, though, and supported by only the anecdotal evidence that I've never interacted with anyone who was accepted at the other top tier programs but denied at Columbia.

That said, Cornell's most recent published class profile is for the class that was admitted two years ago. It shows an average GMAT of 634 and GPA of 3.4. My understanding is that last year's class and the current applicant pool have stronger profiles. MIT doesn't publish their admissions statistics on the website, but I think they've shared it when requested. I read somewhere that the class of 2010 at MIT had an average GMAT of 690.

My advice would be that a GMAT score over 600 and a GPA over 3.0 would be competitive for the Columbia MSRED. Don't forget that these are, of course, only a couple of the many factors that go into an admissions decision. Stronger resumes always help to offset weaker test scores and grade point averages.

Registered
    Jan 2013
    I'm curious how you define top tier programs. It is my belief that the real estate community generally categorizes the programs as follows: tier one would be MIT and Columbia, tier two would be Cornell, NYU, and USC, tier three would be other msred programs. Obviously as real estate is a geographically local business (with a couple of exceptions), attending a program where you would like to live & work post grad is a high factor on the list.

BTW-congrats on Cornell. If you're accepted to all three programs, which is your top pick?

Registered
    Jan 2012
    I'm curious how you define top tier programs. It is my belief that the real estate community generally categorizes the programs as follows: tier one would be MIT and Columbia, tier two would be Cornell, NYU, and USC, tier three would be other msred programs. Obviously as real estate is a geographically local business (with a couple of exceptions), attending a program where you would like to live & work post grad is a high factor on the list.

BTW-congrats on Cornell. If you're accepted to all three programs, which is your top pick?
    Thanks for the congrats, it's a relief to get in somewhere as I wait for the others. I've visited MIT, Columbia, and Cornell and researched NYU. I didn't consider USC because I'm an East Coast guy, but all indications are that it's a great program. All of my research and discussions have led me to view MIT, Columbia, Cornell, and maybe USC as top tier schools, with MIT being the top of the top and the other three falling slightly behind. USC actually corroborated my view with a comparative chart they put together a few years ago. http://www.usc.edu/schools/price/pri...Comparison.pdf I would disagree that Cornell is not as highly regarded as Columbia, though I could see the spread of Columbia's reputation being aided by their larger classes and concentration in certain geographies and career paths. MIT is academically superior to all of the other programs and I think is generally regarded as such, but seems to lack in extracurricular opportunities, which I think is a factor of the significant experience of its students. Cornell is housed in and has core courses in three top tier schools: the School of Hotel Administration, the School of City and Regional Planning, and the Johnson Business School. The Cornell Program in Real Estate also received a large gift last spring, which is funding a couple of fellowships and otherwise strengthening the program. The graduate placement statistics are also very favorable. The downsides are the two-year term and location in Ithaca. Not trying to suggest Cornell over Columbia, instead just focusing on why I think it's deserving of being considered top tier.

I don't consider NYU on par with the aforementioned programs for a variety of reasons. Its rate of acceptance is higher, classes larger, and it is housed in the School of Continuing and Professional Studies, rather than in a planning, policy, or business school. They don't require the GMAT or GRE as part of the application package, which further waters down the quality of the applicant pool. I'm sure it's a fine program and I'm not trying to degrade it, I just don't view it as being in the same league as the others. That said, you're certainly right about real estate being local. I would imagine that any number of the other MSRED programs around the country provide graduates with the ability to be successful in their markets.

I have no idea where I will end up at this point, as there are still a lot of unknowns. I probably felt the most comfortable at Cornell, but was impressed by both Columbia and MIT for different reasons.

Registered
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally posted by Losantiville View post
    Thanks for the congrats, it's a relief to get in somewhere as I wait for the others. I've visited MIT, Columbia, and Cornell and researched NYU. I didn't consider USC because I'm an East Coast guy, but all indications are that it's a great program. All of my research and discussions have led me to view MIT, Columbia, Cornell, and maybe USC as top tier schools, with MIT being the top of the top and the other three falling slightly behind. USC actually corroborated my view with a comparative chart they put together a few years ago. http://www.usc.edu/schools/price/pri...Comparison.pdf I would disagree that Cornell is not as highly regarded as Columbia, though I could see the spread of Columbia's reputation being aided by their larger classes and concentration in certain geographies and career paths. MIT is academically superior to all of the other programs and I think is generally regarded as such, but seems to lack in extracurricular opportunities, which I think is a factor of the significant experience of its students. Cornell is housed in and has core courses in three top tier schools: the School of Hotel Administration, the School of City and Regional Planning, and the Johnson Business School. The Cornell Program in Real Estate also received a large gift last spring, which is funding a couple of fellowships and otherwise strengthening the program. The graduate placement statistics are also very favorable. The downsides are the two-year term and location in Ithaca. Not trying to suggest Cornell over Columbia, instead just focusing on why I think it's deserving of being considered top tier.

I don't consider NYU on par with the aforementioned programs for a variety of reasons. Its rate of acceptance is higher, classes larger, and it is housed in the School of Continuing and Professional Studies, rather than in a planning, policy, or business school. They don't require the GMAT or GRE as part of the application package, which further waters down the quality of the applicant pool. I'm sure it's a fine program and I'm not trying to degrade it, I just don't view it as being in the same league as the others. That said, you're certainly right about real estate being local. I would imagine that any number of the other MSRED programs around the country provide graduates with the ability to be successful in their markets.

I have no idea where I will end up at this point, as there are still a lot of unknowns. I probably felt the most comfortable at Cornell, but was impressed by both Columbia and MIT for different reasons.
    Interesting commentary. I never considered Cornell as a real option because of its location and duration - those both immediately turned me off of the program. Now that I think of it, one of the reasons why I am so keen on Columbia is my lack of experience - just 1.5 years in Comm. RE - that would probably result in me not being accepted. I met a couple of students on my campus tour of Columbia last spring that were fresh out of undergrad, unlike MIT where I have heard of a students having rejection letters sent that specifically cite their lack of professional experience and recommend they reapply the following year.

I am going to give Columbia admissions a call this afternoon and try to get a rough estimate of when they'll make decisions.

Registered
    Feb 2013
    What'd they say?

Registered
    Jan 2013
    Admission office quotes April 1st. In past years it has been around March 15. This year they are hoping for it to be earlier.

I am a current MSRED student and my GMAT was 550. GPA 3.9, 4 years real estate experience.

I feel like phear_me is back?. http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showthread.php?t=33461

Just a few comments. There are no rankings for MSRED. Period. Many people decide based on location (NY is a big bonus for Columbia; a considerable number of students at MIT have some relation to Boston...). MIT and Cornell publish stats and student profiles, Columbia does not. My thoughts:

- MIT. More selective. It might give you an edge in number crunching if your previous experience is so-so. IMO, it works well if you have an unknown bachelor in finance/economics and you want to get branded with the tech/finance edge that MIT can give you, or if you have arch/construction background and you want to sound more credible on the finance side (MIT after all). Regarding locations, you can have access to the same jobs in NY as with Columbia, so nobody should choose Columbia just because of NY if then he or she wants to work there after graduation (very common assumption).

- Columbia. A mixed bag since it is the largest and many people are there just because of the NY location (for the good or the bad). Columbia is very NY-centric. It has a momentum since NY RE is quite strong again. Still, it is the step-child of the CBS Real Estate. The new direction looks very Urban Planning orientated.

- Cornell. Two years... best if you want to change sides of RE and you don't have yet much experience. It is within the Hotel school which is the best in the world, and places many people in RE anyway (so your actual network is broader). Cornell grads are more knitted (maybe the location) than MIT and particularly Columbia (probably the location as well). But you are in Ithaca for two years.

- NYU. I don't know much about the Development concentration, but I wouldn't disregard NYU on the Finance side. Real Estate is very much about who you know, and NYU is a major house within NY and Wall St. It is not Ivy/MIT, but if you want to work for Blackstone you would probably better go to HBS or Wharton and not to any MSRED anyway.

Ultimately, your previous experience (finance, construction, brokerage...) and degree(s) will be equally important. An MSRED (except Cornell) is a short program; it can't do miracles. It can help to re-orientate or enhace your career but that's all.

Registered
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally posted by cuquimendez View post
    I am a current MSRED student and my GMAT was 550. GPA 3.9, 4 years real estate experience.
    what university are you attending? tell us about your experience lol.

Registered
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally posted by cuquimendez View post
    Wow, low GMAT. Coming from a target undergrad? How are your placement/exit opps looking? Did you do an internship?

Registered
    Jan 2013
    This wait is killing me. Any other applicants out there?

Registered
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally posted by York_Shire View post
    I feel like phear_me is back?. http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showthread.php?t=33461

Just a few comments. There are no rankings for MSRED. Period. Many people decide based on location (NY is a big bonus for Columbia; a considerable number of students at MIT have some relation to Boston...). MIT and Cornell publish stats and student profiles, Columbia does not. My thoughts:

- MIT. More selective. It might give you an edge in number crunching if your previous experience is so-so. IMO, it works well if you have an unknown bachelor in finance/economics and you want to get branded with the tech/finance edge that MIT can give you, or if you have arch/construction background and you want to sound more credible on the finance side (MIT after all). Regarding locations, you can have access to the same jobs in NY as with Columbia, so nobody should choose Columbia just because of NY if then he or she wants to work there after graduation (very common assumption).

- Columbia. A mixed bag since it is the largest and many people are there just because of the NY location (for the good or the bad). Columbia is very NY-centric. It has a momentum since NY RE is quite strong again. Still, it is the step-child of the CBS Real Estate. The new direction looks very Urban Planning orientated.

- Cornell. Two years... best if you want to change sides of RE and you don't have yet much experience. It is within the Hotel school which is the best in the world, and places many people in RE anyway (so your actual network is broader). Cornell grads are more knitted (maybe the location) than MIT and particularly Columbia (probably the location as well). But you are in Ithaca for two years.

- NYU. I don't know much about the Development concentration, but I wouldn't disregard NYU on the Finance side. Real Estate is very much about who you know, and NYU is a major house within NY and Wall St. It is not Ivy/MIT, but if you want to work for Blackstone you would probably better go to HBS or Wharton and not to any MSRED anyway.

Ultimately, your previous experience (finance, construction, brokerage...) and degree(s) will be equally important. An MSRED (except Cornell) is a short program; it can't do miracles. It can help to re-orientate or enhace your career but that's all.
    Fair points, but no one said anything about the existence of MSRED rankings. Period.

Registered
    Feb 2013
    This wait is killing me. Any other applicants out there?
    i'm going to apply this upcoming august, so i'm curious to see who gets in and get some sense of their stats and experience. it seems like most people on this forum are interested in masters in planning or architecture instead of degrees in real estate development.

I'm considering getting an mba as well, and from what I've read, the number of applicants for both law and business school has been dwindling the last few years. I wonder if the same phenomenon is occurring with these real estate degrees? it seems like the financial downturn has discouraged people from applying for some of these graduate and professional degrees. Do you guys think MSRED programs are experiencing the same thing? and if so, what do you think that means for us as applicants/prospective applicants?

Registered
    Jul 2012
    Hey Guys-

Wait is killing me as well. I applied to Columbia and the mdess real estate program at GSD. I didn't apply to MIT because I am really young and have only 2 years of experience. Looking back- im an idiot for not applying.

If you look in the past years, there is a whole thread in grad cafe on harvard mdess applicants. This year, there is not one post. So, you may be correct in that less people are applying because of the economy. I guess that can only be good for us. This last month has been hell in terms of waiting. Last year Mdess applicants got rejection emails on March 2nd and postal acceptances on the 5th and 6th. I am hoping its the same and so am expecting a decision next week. What are you guys doing to kill time?

Registered
    Feb 2013
    Applied to Columbia, MIT. Hoping to hear from them soon!

Registered
    Feb 2013
    I'm waiting to hear back from Columbia as well. I only applied there as my GMATs would be outdated at MIT and the program at Cornell is too long. Stats - 4 years non RE experience, 740 GMAT, 3.7 GPA undergrad, and a MS Accounting from a top state school.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 151
    Last post: 23 Apr 2014, 12:44 PM
  2. School: CUNY/Hunter Hunter MUP Applicants
    Student Commons
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 03 Apr 2013, 11:13 PM
  3. MLA applicants
    Student Commons
    Replies: 4