Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Dealing with subordinate that is good, but a terrible team player

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003

Dealing with subordinate that is good, but a terrible team player

I work in a small city with a limited staff, meaning that we are all expected to where multiple hats & to do so with a smile on our faces. In my case, I happen to be over Tourism in addition to my other duties. My tourism employee is really good at what she does in terms of marketing & promotion, but has some flaws that almost erase those positive attributes. For example, she tends to take issues with professional-related things personally that most people wouldn't. She has gotten sucked into gossip issues more than once that resulted in ugly blow-ups. Most bothersome, however, is her response when asked to do something that falls under "other duties as assigned." For example, she has a knack for writing marketing pieces and creating attractive documents that we have utilized for doing the citizen quarterly newletter and the City's annual report. Neither of these items take a lot of time and everyone is good about praising her for the efforts. But she fights doing these "other duties as assigned" tooth & nail even though our requests are minor and not time consuming.

So basically I've got an employee that is pretty good when she is doing something she likes, but has a serious attitude problem when it is one of her less fun job duties or anything extra. I feel like if I don't address it now, it is going to fester & become a cancer on the staff (if it hasn't already).

Any stories from how you've dealt with someone like this in the past or any suggestions? I'd like to keep & 'reform' her, but am not afraid to move on if needed.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Jun 2003
    How crazy is this... an hour after posting that my employee turned in her resignation. She is accepting a position at another city. Problem solved!

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    wow, huh?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2007
    I work on design teams. Pretty much everybody has an attitude problem (we all individually think we're each God's gift to good design). Anyway.. requires a special set of management skills.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Bitches man.
    "The first rule of sustainability is to align with natural forces, or at least not try to defy them." - Paul Hawken

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Kingmak View post
    Bitches man.
    She dissed you in the Malibu? Man that car is YOUR Castle!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3TKut1F1zE
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman View post
    How crazy is this... an hour after posting that my employee turned in her resignation. She is accepting a position at another city. Problem solved!
    Its like you knew! No matter how good the work, bad attitudes and not being a team player usually become bigger problems with more people involved and affected.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    You are such a great manager! I wish to one day turn in my resignation to you!
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2007
    Maybe she reads cyburbia...

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman View post
    You are such a great manager! I wish to one day turn in my resignation to you!
    It's good to have career goals.

This was a person that was originally a direct-hire by the City Manager before my time, and he transferred that department under me when I was hired. I think he knew there was a problem and didn't want to deal with it. I'd done a fair amount of 'coaching' with her already on some of her issues--they just weren't sticking. This was going to look more like a "come to Jebus" meeting. She decided to save me that headache, which I appreciate. Maybe she was more perceptive than I gave her credit for.

She had a leave pattern that made me suspect she had gone to a few interviews (day off mid-week, or just a morning or afternoon off mid-week).

Registered
    Jun 2009
    That is great. I wish such good luck would come my way. I am dealing with the opposite situation. An employee that enjoys doing everything other than what they need to be spending their time on, entitlements. Unfortunately the previous administration encouraged working on those other activities while the entitlement work was just thrown to the side. We are desperately trying to fix the situation, this employee is still here and just doesn't get the need to get this stuff taken care of. A crappy situation all the way around.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Terrible regional rail system in US
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 32
    Last post: 21 Jul 2008, 12:59 PM
  2. Terrible secretary
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 02 Oct 2006, 2:26 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last post: 26 Sep 2006, 5:06 PM