Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Post Superbowl XLVII discussion

Registered
    Feb 2004

Post Superbowl XLVII discussion

I didn't really have a horse in the race last night and so didn't care a great deal about the outcome, but imagine others may feel differently.

How about that power outage, who forgot to pay the electric bill? (I know, it was sabotage by a group of 49er fans)

How about that change in momentum 3rd quarter?

How about those commercials?

Discuss.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    I didn't really have a horse in the race last night and so didn't care a great deal about the outcome, but imagine others may feel differently.

How about that power outage, who forgot to pay the electric bill? (I know, it was sabotage by a group of 49er fans)

How about that change in momentum 3rd quarter?

How about those commercials?

Discuss.
    I think Super Bowl Commercials have jumped the shark. Not that there aren't decent commercials, but the anticipation is so great, that they never live up to the hype anymore. And there are so many damn commercial breaks that it ruins an otherwise decent game. I know the commercials aren't going away, but I'm sick of them. It still takes forever to watch the game, even with the DVR.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Feb 2004
    As Superbowls go, I would have to say that was one of the better ones. Too often it seems one team takes control early and the contest gets decided prematurely. Last night's game stayed exciting down to the end.

They also exceeded the requisite number of Superbowl record-making events: power outage....108 yard return on kickoff (looked like 109 to me)....a freakin' intentional safety....first time two brothers faced off (as head coaches)....probably other record setting events/stats occurred we don't even know about.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    for the first time, I listened to the Superbowl on AM radio on my drive back southwest and it was actually more exciting than I think it would have been watching it as my team wasnt in it and the announcers were so excited with the power outage and the momentum change - it actually was one of my more enjoyable Superbowls

missed the commercials and the halftime show but my focus was on the game since it was all radio and given I really do love football, it was a good thing

and the immediate jokes/memes I saw on my iPhone Facebook page while at rest stops were hilarious -

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I watched 2 seconds of it and no commercials. I hate the Ravens (born and raised Browns fan) but the only redeeming thing about their win is that a guy from my high school is on the team.

Now where is the discussion about the Puppy Bowl and Kitty Halftime Show?
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    WTF was the deal with the Budweiser ads last night? Talk about lame! (okay, the Clydesdale one wasn't but everything else was) What sets a Budweiser 'Black Crown' apart from any other Budweiser? Why, people who drink it wear black and act cool, of course.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Dad got a new big screen LED so he would have been crushed if I did not stop by to watch the game. My parents just argued throughout it. Since they are an old married couple it was about who was right, who was wrong, nag this nag that.

It was very distracting to say the least, could not concentrate on either the commercials or the game. I should have stayed home or went to a bar!
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    Dad got a new big screen LED so he would have been crushed if I did not stop by to watch the game. My parents just argued throughout it. Since they are an old married couple it was about who was right, who was wrong, nag this nag that.

It was very distracting to say the least, could not concentrate on either the commercials or the game. I should have stayed home or went to a bar!
    I can relate. The in-laws wrangled themselves an invitation to both dinner and a Superbowl 'party' at our place last night. Based on comments like "how come the red team has the ball now, I thought the white team had the ball before?" and "how come the clock says there's 6 minutes left, it said 7 minutes over 5 minutes ago?" it became quickly evident my MIL has zero understanding of the game. Consequently, she and my wife continued an ongoing banter throughout much of the game concerning: the way the helmets looked, how long the players' hair was, how tubby some of the linebackers were, why players had different pant lengths, (particularly while important calls were being made/explained by the officials....)

Registered
    Jan 2009
    As Superbowls go, I would have to say that was one of the better ones. Too often it seems one team takes control early and the contest gets decided prematurely. Last night's game stayed exciting down to the end.

They also exceeded the requisite number of Superbowl record-making events: power outage....108 yard return on kickoff (looked like 109 to me)....a freakin' intentional safety....first time two brothers faced off (as head coaches)....probably other record setting events/stats occurred we don't even know about.
    I don't think he set a new record, but Flacco tied the most post season touchdowns passes.

I agree with btrage, the commercials are a little lame. Bud needs to hire a new ad firm, go back to the frogs, lizards, and ferret. I do like the feel good ads like the cyldesdales, but I want ads that make me laugh. The Doritos goat was close, but not great. Also, a lot of car ads that just weren't memorable.

For the new Bud Black, I think it's an amber beer over the usual pilsner. The only problem, most people I know who look for something outside of Bud aren't going to reach for a different Bud label, they want good beer. Then again I'm not cool enough to dress in black with a bunch of people and hang out at the bar.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Aug 2005

I can relate. The in-laws wrangled themselves an invitation to both dinner and a Superbowl 'party' at our place last night. Based on comments like "how come the red team has the ball now, I thought the white team had the ball before?" and "how come the clock says there's 6 minutes left, it said 7 minutes over 5 minutes ago?" it became quickly evident my MIL has zero understanding of the game. Consequently, she and my wife continued an ongoing banter throughout much of the game concerning: the way the helmets looked, how long the players' hair was, how tubby some of the linebackers were, why players had different pant lengths, (particularly while important calls were being made/explained by the officials....)
    Off-topic:
    LOL - great images - is this your family or what? Click image for larger version

Name:	carol and co.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	5115

Registered
    Jan 2005
    WTF was the deal with the Budweiser ads last night? Talk about lame! (okay, the Clydesdale one wasn't but everything else was) What sets a Budweiser 'Black Crown' apart from any other Budweiser? Why, people who drink it wear black and act cool, of course.
    My type of people loved the Black Crown ads...

What was that all about? Only people who dress in black and go to dark clubs will like it? Odd.

I found that most commercials were disappointing. Although I did wish I was that nerdy kid who got to kiss Bar....
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by dvdneal View post
    I don't think he set a new record, but Flacco tied the most post season touchdowns passes.

I think he did actually. First super bowl mvp to drop the f bomb on post game live tv interview?
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    Off-topic:
    LOL - great images - is this your family or what? Attachment 5115
    Actually my dad was bringing up stuff about Psy being anti-american. Where is Destiny's Child? Why hasn't Jack White done the Superbowl yet... He is 76! Momma's family ain't my family! LOL
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Actually my dad was bringing up stuff about Psy being anti-american.
    During that commercial my MIL also brought up the "fact" that Psy was "from North Korea" (how do we know it was North Korea? Because he spoke out against the US)

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    The girl turned up sick Sunday morning so we had to move our SB party to a friends house. I took over all the food and variious things we had bought. Still a pretty good gathering. We had a clueless female asking questions - particularly about the safety at the end. Glad it turned into a good game after the lights went out. Our favorite commercial was for Audi at the begining.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I refuse to participate in this discussion.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Sorry RJ I feel your pain!

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post
    I refuse to participate in this discussion.

Not even to discuss the finer points of not calling defensive PI and holding in the end zone?
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Superbowl parties
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 07 Feb 2010, 6:44 AM
  2. Superbowl Ads and etc.
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 39
    Last post: 07 Feb 2006, 1:16 PM
  3. Replies: 50
    Last post: 03 Feb 2004, 3:51 PM