Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Commiseration Station

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001

Commiseration Station

Here's the place to dump your problems, big and small. Vent, ask for advice, just get it off your chests.

A few of my friends are having rough times, and I'm spending a lot of time listening. So much time that I'm missing meals and sleep and dealing with my own things. I'm tired and cranky and torn between being a good friend or hiding in my room.

Registered
    May 2005
    I shouldn't have ate dinner last night. Apparently my stomach wasn't quite ready. I did not get sick, but don't feel the best this morning. I've been up since 3 AM and I just want to sleep.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Feb 2004
    The zipper on my fly fell/popped off yesterday at work. Dontcha hate it when that happens?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    The zipper on my fly fell/popped off yesterday at work. Dontcha hate it when that happens?
    The whole thing or just the dongle
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by giff57 View post
    The dongle
    The dongle...so that's what they're calling it.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Slept half the night on the couch with my youngest son. I don't know why. Now my neck and the back of my head are achy. (whine whine whine).

Friends with problems are tough. For me it's actually a worker in my department whose grown children are really giving her fits. I've been listening for a long time (years) and it just gets harder every month. Add to it the fact that she relishes getting me in trouble every chance she gets.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    May 2005
    The dongle...so that's what they're calling it.
    Don't tell lp. She'll have a field day.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    I shouldn't have ate dinner last night. Apparently my stomach wasn't quite ready. I did not get sick, but don't feel the best this morning. I've been up since 3 AM and I just want to sleep.
    I feel your pain, dude. I am on day three of too little sleep. Didn't get to sleep until about 10:30 and woke up at 4. Just me and the cat were awake, but you know he had already gotten like 20 hours of sleep in the last 24. Bastard!
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    The baby woke up at 4am. Not sure why, but at least she went to sleep after drinking a little milk. That left the cat prowling about and my SO awake watching tv. Naturally I didn't get good sleep after that and got up at 7am.

I spent 2 hours doing architecture walk through in the snow/sleet/wind. It's not pretty. At least we get to go home right about now
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Jul 2007
    I slightly twisted my bad ankle on a site visit yesterday. On this site visit I had to get an architect that thought it was ok to totally change an elevation during construction without approvals from Planning straight. According to him, no other municipality in the area cares when this happens except for us (riiiiiight). Then I noticed they were using plans dated revised from 3 weeks ago. I checked with our Inspections division to find out they had never gotten those revisions either.

I'm not sure if I'm more upset about my ankle or the fact that the architect kept arguing with me and stressing me out.
    Last edited by beach_bum; 08 Feb 2013 at 4:14 PM.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Quote Originally posted by beach_bum View post
    I slightly twisted my bad ankle on a site visit yesterday. On this site visit I had to get an architect that though it was ok to totally change an elevation during construction without approvals from Planning straight. According to him, no other municipality in the area cares when this happens except for us (riiiiiight). Then I noticed they were using plans dated revised from 3 weeks ago. I checked with our Inspections division to find out they had never gotten those revisions either.

I'm not sure if I'm more upset about my ankle or the fact that the architect kept arguing with me and stressing me out.
    Only response necessary: Do the words Stop Work Order mean anything to you?
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    The governor cut out funding. All of it.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by kms View post
    Wait, is that possible? He's just not funding....anything....anymore? Or he cut your funding? Even if it's your funding, there's got to be something wrong there? he cut it ALL? What will you all do or how does it go down?
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    Wait, is that possible? He's just not funding....anything....anymore? Or he cut your funding? Even if it's your funding, there's got to be something wrong there? he cut it ALL? What will you all do or how does it go down?
    Big typo, no proofreading. Again....

OUR funding. He's not real popular these days. Ask the teachers. Ask the state store (liquor) employees, who are PA employees. Whew. He's proposing some unpopular changes. I really believe that one day people will see that his changes were good and necessary, but right now, they smart!

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by kms View post
    Taking a play out of Krispy Kreme's book
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by beach_bum View post
    I slightly twisted my bad ankle on a site visit yesterday. On this site visit I had to get an architect that thought it was ok to totally change an elevation during construction without approvals from Planning straight.
    At that point site visit would end, correction notice issued and a call into the inspection crew for a big, fat, stop work.
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Raf View post
    At that point site visit would end, correction notice issued and a call into the inspection crew for a big, fat, stop work.
    I like to deliver my own stop work orders. I once threatened to have a guy's crew picked up for public urination and tossed in the drunk tank with the vagrants because he refused to get his porta-potties on site after some mix up.....and he told me I was a punk. You should never mess with a big-haired-i'm-saving-the-world-brand-new-planner who still acts before he thinks. Oh to be 26 again. I took a lot of guff from the higher ups for that move, but that contractor never pulled any shit with me again.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    I like to deliver my own stop work orders. I once threatened to have a guy's crew picked up for public urination and tossed in the drunk tank with the vagrants because he refused to get his porta-potties on site after some mix up.....and he told me I was a punk. You should never mess with a big-haired-i'm-saving-the-world-brand-new-planner who still acts before he thinks. Oh to be 26 again. I took a lot of guff from the higher ups for that move, but that contractor never pulled any shit with me again.
    Man am I glad I don't build in your jurisdiction! J/K I always have a porta potty on site, we call them temporary shelter because many times we have to evict an occupant that has spent the night in there. I've never received a stop work order on any of my projects. I try very hard to do everything on the up-and-up even though business as usual in the city runs counter to that. It backfires at times because I feel like I am held to a higher standard and spend more time on bullshit code enforcement violations (litter on a vacant lot, while the house across the street is falling down) than the skeevy real estate investors.

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Raf View post
    We have zoning officers that do that sort of thing, in my jurisdiction if a planner ends up at your site during construction, you have done wrong. The architect delivered a revision to me early in the week. When I called him back and asked why the revisions and that they were not consistent with the area and a green roof (which goes with not a whole lot so we discourage them for commercial projects-dates quick) he asked for a meeting. After meeting and still not agreeing with the change, he asked me to come out to the site. I went with the zoning compliance officer and my boss because the zoning compliance officer informed me that they were already making those unapproved changes (non structural so building doesn't always catch that stuff).

I went out to see the changes in person because I wasn't sure if I wanted to make them take everything off-project is in a prime spot and the developer is already having money trouble-then as i am out there the architect starts arguing with me that no other jurisdiction would care about such changes...then I saw the plans and called our building official. Will have to get an update next week, but my sources say no one was out there today

Once upon a time I did building permitting and did more of the dirty work

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Day 3 of sore throat, cold, and sinus congestion. I'm finally feeling better. At least RJ is happy to make the grocery run for the weekend.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Where do I begin -
    emotionally
    relationship
    health
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    May 2005
    After discussing with the wife, I'm pretty sure I got food poisoning last week and it was not the norovirus/flu. That makes me feel better knowing it was my own fault.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    After discussing with the wife, I'm pretty sure I got food poisoning last week and it was not the norovirus/flu. That makes me feel better knowing it was my own fault.
    Interesting. We weren't sure what hit Junior but he woke up an hour after going to bed Sat night and tossed his cookies. Spent all day yesterday laying in bed watching tv. Staying home from school today. I wondered if maybe it was something he ate.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    BUMP
    My wife and son are both very strong-willed individuals. Sadly, this makes for an unhappy household as they tend to disagree about nearly everything. I want to tell both of them to pick their battles more judiciously, but that's almost like telling them to 'be someone else, why don't you'

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    BUMP
    My wife and son are both very strong-willed individuals. Sadly, this makes for an unhappy household as they tend to disagree about nearly everything. I want to tell both of them to pick their battles more judiciously, but that's almost like telling them to 'be someone else, why don't you'

While I could never pinpoint a date, the happiest day of my being an adult is when I stopped letting the small stuff get to me, and started picking my battles. Those who knew me then now think that I'm a pushover, and they are so wrong. Most things turn out the way they should, but you don't realize it if you're fighting your way through the process. Maybe your wife will learn soon.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. How was your polling station?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 23
    Last post: 05 Nov 2008, 12:52 PM
  2. Gas station cleanup
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 02 May 2005, 4:30 AM
  3. Gas Station Separation