Urban planning community

Poll results: How many miles do you put on your car in a week?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 - Proud to be smog inducing automobile free

4 8.51%
  • <100 - She gets me to work and the grocery store

13 27.66%
  • 100 - 250 - I'm getting my oil changed 4 times a year at 3,000 miles

15 31.91%
  • 250+ The attendant at my Sunoco knows my name and how I like my coffee.

15 31.91%
+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: So how much do you drive your car?

Registered
    Oct 2000

So how much do you drive your car?

Jo's comment about not driving made me curious. My husband and I share a car and although I do have my license (although really probably shouldn't), in the summer I only ever actually drive the car twice a week - to Planning Board and to tap dance class (don't ask). my husband drives me to work every day, and anyplace else I usually need to get is a quick bike ride - the park, the tennis courts, the grocery store. Its only once it gets below freezing or is snowing that I get in the car. and 99% of our trips are less than 5 miles, we only fill our Cavalier's tank ever 10 days or so. So how much do planners really drive their vehicles?

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996

Commute

I live 30 miles from my office, so in commuting alone I'm at 300 miles a week.

Still....I only fill up once a week....my Cavalier gets almost 31 miles per gallon.

It used to be worse...before my fiance moved in with me I was driving 190 miles on Friday night and 190 miles on Sunday afternoons to go see her in Maine and drive back home.

When I'm home, my car sits unused. I live close enough to downtown to walk. Most trips now we use my fiance's car (which, gets better gas mileage than mine).
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Aug 2001

Ouch

I live 24 miles from the office, and my Land Rover gets 15 miles to the gallon (or 10 with the air conditioning on). I fill up twice per week at a minimum. Overall, I drive about 24,000 miles per year.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    It's not 0, but it's a lot less than 100 miles a week...

I only drive to work once a week, when I play hockey after work. Other than that, the car only gets used for groceries and weekend shopping, and picking my fiancee up from work twice a week. I fill up maybe once every two-three weeks.

The once-every-two-month trips up to my fiancee's hometown (800km/500mile roundtrip) are about the only thing that really puts the miles on my auto.

Re: Commute

NHPlanner wrote:
    Still....I only fill up once a week....my Cavalier gets almost 31 miles per gallon.
    My dad has this thing about getting as many miles per gallon out of a car. Forex, he had a Toyota Corolla (petrol) that did 40 m.p.g. when he bought it (3 years old). 2 years later, he had it doing 47 m.p.g., and kicking god knows what out of the exhaust. He's just swapped a Peugoet 306 diesil hatchback for the same as an estate and is a bit upset that he does 3 less m.p.g. (the last one did 58). As an environmentalist, I applaud his love of efficiency. As his daughter I find his anal retentiveness very annoying.
    Glorious Technicolor, Breath-Taking CinemaScope and Stereophonic Sound!

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    hee hee hee - Journeymouse, your dad sounds a lot like my grandad. He used to turn his ignition off going downhill to save gas.

He gave up his old Ford Cortina just last year and is now stuck on the bus...

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Before my husband and I got together, he kept a little log in his car that he would fill in everytime at the gas station to track his mpgs, but once i started using his vehicle on a regular basis, that kind of fell by the way side. We are, however, getting ready to buy a second car in the next year or so, once we have a baby, and I'm REALLY wanting a hybrid. Rob put the kibosh on that though with the old "it's still to expensive to repair, maybe our NEXT car after this one" argument. he wants an accord.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I end up doing about 20,000-25,000 miles per year, even though my commute is less than five miles, round trip. Most of the miles are to Madison and back (45 each way) and long vacations out west, which can add 3-4,000 miles. Fortunately I average 18 miles per gallon. I may trade up to a Subaru later this year and get 25 mpg.

Registered
    Oct 2001

slacker

I drive less than 2 miles per day to work. When I was in college a walk like that was nothing, but I can't seem to find the time to do it even in good weather. The notion of cycling in office drag and getting lungs full of commuter exhaust every day doesn't even remotely appeal to me any more. And I don't have the patience for public transportation I once did.

We have a newer Saturn and an older Plymouth hatchback my wife and I use on alternating days (which ever is at the end of the driveway) and neither one gets enough mileage for quarterly oil changes. On the one hand we'd like a hybrid, but we occasionally need more capacity for hauling landscape materials and home improvement supplies.

Registered
    Aug 2001

fill 'er up!

I've always been a commuter - 29 miles each way when I commuted from Hollywood to Hialeah ( I honed my defensive driving skills navigating there thru streets of Opa Locka, Carol City Miami Springs and into Hialeah) and then a brisk 14mi commute on I 95 in Northern Palm Beach Co. Found Heaven when I commuted 9 miles down rural M 89 in Allegan County Michigan. Then the horrible 20 mile East Beltline Crawl at 7 am in Kent County to a temporary job in the second floor of a dying Mall. My last trimester of pregnancy and Im driving the GTI in winter with sporadic defrost and clapped out suspension. Doug rigged up an ingenious device with a vacuum hose to direct the defrost with a hand held wand. You could also snake it down by your feet for warmth too! Clever guy I married!

Now Im shuttling kids an average of 100 miles a week n my mud splattered van with a bad wheel bearing - tick tick tick.

I am so used to being a solo driver that if my husband drives I am often queasy. Oh and of course with kids on vacation trips we drive hard bargains over who gets to drive and who gets to entertain the kids and fetch cold drinks.

I drive too much!

Registered
    Sep 2001

I should have to pay extra road tax!!

Right now I commute 30km (19miles) one way to work everyday and that is the least I have travelled in the last few years.

I used to travel 100km each way everyday. That's 1,000km a week!

Before that I travelled 75km one way every day and I lived 400km from my boyfriend (now husband) and went to see him every weekend.

It is a good thing I drive a Golf! I bought it in the fall of 1998 with 68,000km on it now I am over 200,000.

I would love to be able to walk to work but in this area jobs don't come up very often, you usually have to wait for someone to retire and then there is a year and a half of people changing jobs!

My sister is an alternative transportation consultant for an environmental group, we avoid talking about my commuting habits as much as possible.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I only drive about ten miles a day, to and from work. However, I often travel much further for both work and personal business. The county seat is over 30 miles away and work takes me there every couple of weeks. Boise, the nearest city of any size, is 100 miles away. Between work and personal trips, I am usually in Boise two or three times a month, sometimes even more. Throw in the occasional vacation or hunting trip, and the miles really add up.

The wide open spaces of the west are beautiful to look at, but it sure takes a long time to get anywhere!

Registered
    Feb 1998
    two years with this car, 6200 miles. small towns are nice. but I cheat...when going to a conference or meeting in the capitol (5 hrs away) I take the spouse's car.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Looks like I have most everyone beat.....in a negative way.

I drive 40 miles to work (1 way).....on top of that, I drive 150 miles (1 way) to grad school once a week. What makes it really bad is every other monday, when I drive 40 miles to work 150 miles to school 150 miles back to work for council meeting and 40 miles home. I put on between 800 and 900 miles a week.

I try to comfort myself in the fact that my wife works 3 miles from home........and I'm on my last semester of school

Registered
    Oct 2001

Car Addict

I love "New Urbanism" and "Neotraditional Planning" and "pedestrian-oriented development." I live downtown in the "next town up the freeway" from where I work, so my commute is only about 16 miles per day (that's total both ways). And, when I'm at home, I walk to the grocery store, the coffee place downtown, the post office, and the video store.

But, I am an obsessive urban walker/hiker/and cyclist, and I drive to San Francisco or Berkeley, or Sacramento, or Sonoma/Napa counties enough (at least once per week) that the mileage really piles up. Once I get "there," I usually spend several hours walking or cycling, but its the drive to "get there" that makes me a sinner.

Michael Stumpf: I just traded in my Contour for a new Subaru WRX on Tuesday night! What a great car, I love the little bug-eyed monster! Looks like my mileage count will pick up a little bit more this next couple weeks .

I, too am a car addict extraordinaire.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I get to work on the bus, and I borrow my boyfriends car whenever I need to go somewhere that the bus does not go. So I probably only drive a few times a month.

Registered
    Jul 1998
    I'm only about 3-4 blocks from work, and I walk quite a bit. However, I do live in small town Iowa and have to drive 20-60 miles to actually buy anything, so the miles rack up

Well, seeing as I don't drive, my options are pretty limited. I 'work' for the county council and they have offices about 3 minutes walk from where I live - but I don't work there, I work at the materials lab. five miles away. Luckily they're using the lab. car park as an overflow and have laid on a (free) park-and-ride minibus for council workers. The drivers tease me about being perverse because I go in the opposite direction to everyone else. Otherwise, I prefer to walk around Guildford because the cars have the roads so snarled up that a five minute bus ride has been known to take an hour. Longer distance I rely on trains (and buses or taxis at the other end). I tend to make about 6 'long' distance journeys a month with going to conferences, visiting my dad and visiting my 'alma mater' (sp?) for a night out with the gang. We're still on the regular reunion thing because half of us have only been out a year and the rest are still studying there.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I put about 200 miles on the Passat every week. My personal car also doubles as a municipal vehicle -- I use it for code enforcement and field excursions.

There's decent public transit where I live -- but it's still a very suburban built environment, and I'm about two kilometers from the nearest retail of any kind. I love road trips and wandering around, so I'll often hop into the car on weekends and just explore the area a bit more.

Journeymouse -- is it true that planners in the UK also get a car to take home from the council?
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Dan Tasman wrote:
    Is it true that planners in the UK also get a car to take home from the council?
    It depends on the council, but generally yes. Most of them are quite happy to supply cars to anybody who is likely to make site visits for their work, such as planners, resident engineers, environmental site/park managers and so on. I'd guess it's a tax thing. Surrey County Council also offers all of the employees of the ex-Environment Department (now Sustainable Development) a free bike. But most people wont take them up on it because cycling on British roads often requires a death wish.

Registered
    Oct 2001

Life begins at 100,000 miles!

I live about two miles from work. Between commuting to work and getting groceries I may drive 25 to 50 miles a week. Sometimes work requires out of town trips – Those vary in length and destination – some as far away as Jefferson City (sarcasm implied).

I normally drive the old 1985 Volvo 240 GL which gets about 25 mpg Monday -Thursday. On Fridays and over the weekends I drive the Scout II which gets about 15 mpg. I may put 10 miles on it over the weekend. I drive it to keep it running right. We really use it during the winter and when there is severe weather – i.e. possibility of hail. Or to haul stuff that won’t fit in the trunk of a Volvo. I tend to fill the Volvo up about once a month, and the Scout about every 40 or so days. This runs me a combined $30 a month.

I used to own a Dodge Colt wagon, which I just loved. It was a go-cart class commuter vehicle. It got 35 mph and handled like it was on rails. It just had the worse luck when it came to other vehicles hitting it. Twice in less than a year it was attacked by other drivers.

I come from a family where mechanical skills tend to be the dominate gene – Lord knows it is not picking careers with great financial rewards that predominates. So keeping the older vehicles running is not a problem. I enjoy working on the Volvo. It is a mechanic’s car. Everything is accessible. My sister says the world would be a better place if the men in her family had become doctors because we can keep a car going far past its natural life span.

Here is in interesting tidbit. I am 38 years old and have been driving since I was 16. I have less than $15,000 total invested in cars (including repairs and parts) over my life time in 8 cars. I have never driven anything newer than 10 years old. And I have never been stranded on the road or had to be towed. My most expensive car cost me $1500 (the Colt). Every single car looked nice – except for the free 1972 Dodge truck I got for fixing a guys computer - and drove well. All of them just needed some minor repairs. Every one was purchased at or above 100,000 miles. And every vehicle found me one way or the other. I have never gone shopping for a car. I have good mechanical Karma.

Junkyard Wars is my favorite TV show.

Registered
    Oct 2001

Re: Life begins at 100,000 miles!

El Guapo wrote:

And I have never been stranded on the road or had to be towed. My most expensive car cost me $1500 (the Colt). Every single car looked nice
    Your good karma and mechanical genes have spared you some interesting experiences. Some of the most memorable for me involved a '65 Studebaker wagon that seemed to be the most peculiar car some people had ever seen. The gas gauge didn't work so I was stranded several times. Pushing the car out of an auto teller was a classic case. Other clunkers like "Prince" the Plymouth Valiant with operating doors only on the passenger side helped make my early driving years more colorful.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Ok lets see i drive 30 miles per day round trip to work but other than that im a walker or use the Metro. i HATE to be in the car though i love my little Saturn like it was a member of the family. If any long drives are to be made boyfriend does the driving in HIS car not mine

Danie
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Yeah, as I said before, I am an obsessive walker. The problem is, with at least two (usually three) walks per day with my dogs (townhouse-so no large yard for their exercise or their "business" ) I get really bored with walking around the relatively small part of my town that doesn't consist of soundwalls, commercial strips, and identical stucco ranch houses. So, I drive a lot to San Francisco, Berkeley, Marin Highlands, etc. And, because I usually take a dog or two, I always drive .

At least Vacaville is centrally located to a lot of interesting places and open space.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    PlannerGirl wrote:
    If any long drives are to be made boyfriend does the driving in HIS car not mine
    So...does this mean you two are back together again? (sorry, of topic I know, but it's a slow day up here today).

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. A drive-thru for this ? ? ? ?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 31 May 2009, 10:05 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 09 May 2009, 8:04 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last post: 23 Apr 2009, 1:44 PM
  4. Drive-thru queues