Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: What is your fake Pizza name?

Registered
    Oct 2001

What is your fake Pizza name?

el Guapo is a former 20 year +/- urban planner (just like you) who thought becoming an attorney was a good life choice.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Jeffrey Dahmer - just have a seat while I look for my change.

I made restaurant reservations by phone once as "Bilbo Baggins". Hostess didn't have a clue. "Mr. Baggins? Your table is ready."
    Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.
    Abraham Lincoln

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    From the article:

Among political pizza findings, people with "Dean for President" bumper stickers on cars in their driveways tipped 22 percent higher than people with "Bush for President" bumper stickers.
    I ran 'za with Dominos back in my undergrad days (late 1980s). We drivers beame armchair sociologists when it came to analyzing tipping patterns, I could go on forever about it.

A few strange tipping patterns:
    • University at Buffalo students usually tipped $1 or more
    • Daemen College students usually tipped spare change under 50 cents, and stiffed for larger amounts.
    • Students from downstate New York were usually bettertippers than those from upstate.
    • Residential tips were highest in working-class areas and new money neighborhoods. A run to a large house in an old-money neighborhood did not necessarily result in a large tip.
    • Those ordering veggie pizzas didn't tip as well as those ordering pizzas with some meat toppings.
    • To be politically correct, I'll refrain from mentioning ethnic tipping patterns. Here's a study from Cornell about the topic..
    • The elderly often offered sincere tips of a dime or 25 cents, as if to say "Now you can use that shiny quarter to buy a new suit, take the streetcar downtown, catch a show with your girlfriend, have something nice to eat at the drugstore counter afterwards, and ride the trolley back home, with something left over to buy a few packs of Chesterfields the next day.."
    • Deliveries to hospitals suck. The staff takes forever to meet me to get the pizza, and the tips are always terrible. One driver, after getting stiffed at the VA hospital psych ward, claimed to yell "TET! TET!" before he left. Pandemonium apparently broke out."
    We were too busy to 420. Usually, that's at the smaller pizzerias, where deliveries are less frequent.

Planning student trick: During slow times, send anew driver on a delivery to an address on a ghost street. When they can't find the house, much less the street, insist that they're a regular customer, and send 'em back. Good times.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Dec 2001

can't say i have one

I've never given a fake name for a pizza order. Usually I'm too hungry and don't want to delay the sustinance. Either that or I just don't have the motivation to piss off some teenage pizza jockey.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Wayne Pickle
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Paul Reubens, extra sausage please

OT- my uncle used to use fake names at restaurants for some reason.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    Gordon Sumner

and so few people get it...
    If you're not growing, you're dying. - Lou Holtz

Registered
    Jul 2003
    McGuilicutty Furnurtinur

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by SlaveToTheGrind
    McGuilicutty Furnurtinur
    OT: any realtion to my alter ego Paddy O'Furnature?
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Originally posted by GeogPlanner
    OT: any realtion to my alter ego Paddy O'Furnature?
    I think we are cousins.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    In Geneseo, I worked in the dining hall, and took special orders from diners who wanted veggie burgers, etc. instead of asking their name, i'd make one up for them, if the diner was amenable, until the crabby lunch lady who had to go into the dining room to yell "Sunshine Happypants" or "Moonbeam MacGuillicudy" complained to Pete the manager who put the kibosh on my shenanigans. sigh.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Pizza Pizza!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 65
    Last post: 13 Feb 2013, 7:52 PM
  2. Replies: 45
    Last post: 31 Oct 2012, 11:54 AM
  3. Teh Real Pizza Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 126
    Last post: 08 Nov 2009, 2:12 PM