Urban planning community

Poll results: James Howard Kunstler is...

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • ...an urban planning prophet, a light of hope sparkling through the evil darkness of our suburban hells.

13 34.21%
  • ...a grumpy old kook bent on polarizing the planning and architecture professions in order to create the requisite controversy that swiflty moves books off the shelves of Borders.

20 52.63%
  • James Howard ...who?! Never heard of the guy.

5 13.16%
+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: James Howard Kunstler

Registered
    Apr 2002
    I'm with ya, cat!
    Cheers,
    UrbanRunner
    :)

Registered
    Jan 2002

As for Kunstler...

I really enjoyed "Geography of Nowhere", especially the chapters about the rise of the auto-nation and undesireable places. I think that the man is definitely an insightful writer, but he's not helping the cause at all. Kunstler needs to stop being a complaining pessimist and develop places "worth caring about".

Registered
    Oct 2001

Kunstler Strikes Again

http://www.oriononline.org/pages/oo/...urmudgeon.html

He is in rare form here. As one of my co-workers put it, "This is a man floating in and stewing in a sea of his own bile".

Curmudgeons are amazing.

Registered
    Aug 2001

Great Article!

James Howard Kunstler knows what he is talking about: "...all activity focused inward to the canned entertainments piped into giant receivers -- where the children especially sprawl in masturbatory trances, fondling joysticks and keyboards..."

Yeah, I remember jerking-off all the time while playing Ms. Pac-man on my Atari 2600. I also had the Popeye cartridge and I couldn't resist beating my meat to love-struck Olive Oyle. I never went outside. My bike collected dust in the garage. There were no sidewalks in my neighborhood. At eleven years old, I was a prolific masturbator. Thank god my parents moved out of the city and into the suburbs. The longest walk I ever took on any given day was from the kitchen to the garage where I took my seat in the 1981 Chrysler Reliant K. I know, Lee Iacocca is a Has-Been, but things really haven't changed that much since then. Thank goodness for the observant eye of James Howard Kunstler.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

POed Kunstler

He must have been in a particularly bad traffic jam before he wrote that article!

All that bile he's gurgling must give him bad heart burn. And of course, it is all suburbia's fault.

My problem with K. is that he repeats many of his own phrases, verbatim, over and over again. But it is definitely fun to read his stuff from time to time.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Yeah, he has a sort of canned glurge that he repeats a lot.

I saw him at The Palace Hotel in San Frnacisco-one of those awfully overdone Victorian piles that led to the Modernist "less-is-more" overreaction. He used the same line that he does in all his speeches, about how the (to my tastes) overdone floral carved moldings couldn't be done today. My quiet response was "thank God."

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I think Jim is like Nader...says a lot of things that make sense when you think about them, but from a practical standpoint, we have to find the middle ground first. Jim's "Nowhere" book and a very intersting professor are how I got into this field and how I fell in love with this work...but I've formed my own educated opinions and don't take Jim's thoughts as gospel, but a view to place some thought on.
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 54
    Last post: 05 Oct 2010, 11:36 AM
  2. New James Bond
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 35
    Last post: 20 Nov 2008, 3:09 AM
  3. Ask James Howard Kunstler
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 15