Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: fabprefab - modernist prefab dwellings

Registered
    Dec 1998

fabprefab - modernist prefab dwellings

I came across this website which features modernist prefab dwellings. Althought most of them appear to be conceptual, I personally think they're pretty hideous, but apparently there's a market for them.

This one is located in Tsuruga, Japan

Another one in Japan

Not sure where this one is located
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Dec 2001

Re: fabprefab - modernist prefab dwellings

Originally posted by Planderella
    which features modernist prefab dwellings. Althought most of them appear to be conceptual, I personally think they're pretty hideous, but apparently there's a market for them.
    I saw a This Old House that featured the Japanese pre-fabs. For japan, it's really the only way to live in a single family home. real estate prices are way high, the can turn these prefabbed homes out in factories way fast too.

The modern design of the houses are probably right in line with what the market in Japan expects, after all most live in the modern cities.

Now, American prefabs? [molly shannon on]Don't get me started. [molly shannon off]
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Oct 2003
    I don't find these examples particularly attractive, but this construction method has been in Japan for along time. It is typically cost prohibitive to site build or stick build a building like Americans are used to. Even these pre-fab buildings cost a fortune, given that single family dwelling is not possible for most of the population due to land and resource scarcity.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I'm not a fan of those types of houses. I prefer natural materials to be incorporated into the house...wood floors, ceilings, etc. Just like the photos depict, they are typically oddly-designed houses that leave little to no room for individual style.
    A person who strives is one who thrives. It's GREAT to be THE KING!!!

Registered
    Nov 2002

Re: Re: fabprefab - modernist prefab dwellings

Originally posted by boiker
    I saw a This Old House that featured the Japanese pre-fabs. For japan, it's really the only way to live in a single family home. real estate prices are way high, the can turn these prefabbed homes out in factories way fast too.
    I read somewhere that the Japanese typically build SFRs to last only 40 years, as their real estate market has a distaste for old homes.
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Sep 2001

Re: Re: Re: fabprefab - modernist prefab dwellings

Originally posted by SGB
    I read somewhere that the Japanese typically build SFRs to last only 40 years, as their real estate market has a distaste for old homes.
    What houses have a design life, I think we've had this conversation before.

I must be worn down by the really bad residential architecture we have, I kind of like the first one.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Bless your heart Panderella! I'm really getting to like prefab housing and the possibilities it has(think affordable housing here~and NOT trailer homes). The only one I really like is the first one. We all know that style is subjective. I can't stand victorian archeticture, but love the craftsman era(like my current home), despise the Ranch, but like modern interpretations of it. When done with a modicum of reservation and taste(again, subjective), a modern dwelling can look and blend into existing housing with out too much hassle. Someone else mentioned the state of american prefab architecture, and I tend to agree that its certainly not innovative enough. They try to emulate the styles that came before, and IMO, it doesn't work in this context. I've got a few more links at home that are similar to these. I'll have to look them up and post here for those interested. I feel that American architectyre taste is in kind of a rut lately, not that there's much wrong with that, but I'd love to see more creative thought put into homes.

www.ruralstudio.com is one I can think of off hand. The location, and purpose of these homes can certainly be debated, but just look at them for thier design and thought at this time.
    You're more boring than you know.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Well, assuming they're not structurally crap, I think people should be experimenting with new house designs. A whole street of these would be weird but how weird is a street of identical raised ranches? Currently there is little difference in typical new home styles in most of North America maybe prefabs can give people more choices and opportunities for home ownership.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I actually like the first design a little bit. I agree with Seabishop.

DWELL Magazine (A yuppie is I) sponsored a contest for pre-fab house designs. I tend to like simple glass-and steel boxes (Farnsworth House) when they are in the right location.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    I don't think the second pic was completed. You can see the bare lumber still exposed on the inside.

OR

The psychophants of the modernists havn't finished thier long slow terrible death yet. :|

OR

They called in some German designers who use Legos for thier modeling.
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Registered
    Jun 2003
    http://www.re4a.com/modern-modular/dwell-home.html

I agree with BKM, I like the simple structure of the farmworth house seen in the above link. I could easily live ina place like that. I guess what it boils down to for me is that I like "unique" stuff. Always have. I'm about as far from mainstream as one can get on most things. I like visually striking items, the stark nature of many of the modernist homes provides quite a nice contrast to the natural(wooded) setting I prefer.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    There's nothing wrong with being original in house designs. I agree that the housing stock of today is very bland, ruttish (as in stuck in a rut) and unimaginative. However, on that same token, I'm not sure I want to live in one of these types of houses either. They're sort of freakish to me and screams PRETENSIOUS.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Need help from one of our Toronto people.

There is the ugliest modernist POC located at the corner of Bond and Leslie. it is a hideous shade of periwinkle/blue and is completely out of place with the rest of the neighbourhood. (1950's-1970's ranch style homes) If I can find an image I'll post it, I am sure other people use it much like I do, for providing directions to people.

Modernism has its place, but sometimes architects take it too far. I like Martini's idea of juxtaposing a modern home in a rural/wooded setting.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Oh, I don't know. None of these homes appear that showy to me. The striped one with yellow railings (#2) is a little bold, but in the burn zone of the Oakland Homes (What I call the MBA Zone-for "Museum of Bizarre Architecture), none of these homes would stick out that much. for one thing, they're not 5,000 square feet on a 7,000 square foot lot

I would much rather live in a spare modernist structure with tons of windows than a hulking stucco (or fake brick for you easterners) "traditional" home. But, that's just me.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Originally posted by donk
    Need help from one of our Toronto people.

There is the ugliest modernist POC located at the corner of Bond and Leslie. it is a hideous shade of periwinkle/blue and is completely out of place with the rest of the neighbourhood. (1950's-1970's ranch style homes) If I can find an image I'll post it, I am sure other people use it much like I do, for providing directions to people.

Modernism has its place, but sometimes architects take it too far. I like Martini's idea of juxtaposing a modern home in a rural/wooded setting.
    Oh, I dunno donk, I think they're kinda playful.

Timely response though (sorry the pic isn't the greatest)
    http://www.torontolife.com/magazine/...cfm?Ref_Num=38

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Knew it was odd enough to be on the web.

Imagine these surrounded by 1950-1970 ranch homes in Canada's first garden suburb, York Mills.

Registered
    Dec 1998

Imagine these surrounded by 1950-1970 ranch homes in Canada's first garden suburb, York Mills.
    That looks like something from out of the set of PeeWee's Playhouse or some Tim Burton movie.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Canada's first garden suburb, York Mills.
    [nitpick] It's Don Mills, not York Mills. And I think this area is just outside that area. It could be a later phase I guess. Oh, and they're not pre-fab [/nitpick]

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Well, not all modern design is "good" either.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    My wife likes to call homes like that "Suessian". And I tend to agree with her. To echo BKM, yeah, this one isn't a great example.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Well, that's the biggest problem with modern design. Most people need the rules of "tradition." Traditional architecture provides vernacular framework for building decent cityscapes. Very few architects (and fewer contractors) can design beautiful "modernist" houses. (Eichlers-I like 'em, but they make for lousy streetscapes, imo). There has to be a rational, disciplined mind, a sensitive use of color and form.

There are a lot of houses in the Oakland Hills that look like the Don Mills examples above

But, even "tradition" can't save housing design from a combination of small lots, steep sites, and too much insurance money

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Originally posted by Tranplanner
    [nitpick] It's Don Mills, not York Mills. And I think this area is just outside that area. It could be a later phase I guess. Oh, and they're not pre-fab [/nitpick]
    oops, the only time I am in this neighboiurhood is to warm up to to crawl home.

Planning History 101 was not my best subject.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!

Looks like a more lively and scaled down version of Columbus, OH's, "TRAIN WRECK ON HIGH"

Traslated, "the convention center on High Street near the downtown of Columbus, Ohio, looks like a train wreck occured at that spot".

I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Registered
    Nov 2003
    I kind of like those japanese prefab structures. Maybe some of the colors are a little loud, but that could be changed. It seems modernism does a lot to get attention and maybe loud colors are one of the less enjoyable aspects of it (from a passive observers view, sometimes). I really love modern architecture, it is so innovative and different, it really provides something new, and calls to light a feeling of futurism, like its letting us know that technology is prgresing and tomorrow is almost here today. So often though, modernists presume to know how to build a functional structure without having the trial and error and experience that comes with more traditional structures. The traditional structures in place today are the culmination of thousands of years of design experience. Modernism just comes in and tries to rewrite the rules, often without a great understanding of what the rules originally were.

I have never lived in a modernist house, so I cannot wiegh in as a firsthand opinion in that sense. I have lived in Albany NY though. During the administration of Nelson Rockefeller, two great modernist monuments/structures were built, the SUNY Albany Campus and the Empire State Plaza. These buildings have defined what living with modernism is to me. They are very beautiful, but thay have certain quirks, like at the SUNY campus, one can rarely make any trip without crossing a number of corners, or walking around something. This aspect, favoring monumentality and aesthetics seems to take away from enjoyment of the structure since some functionality is lost. The bright blue houses among the ranch houses seem to me to be much of a monument. When modernist structures can become more functional and learn more from the successes of the past, I will be an even happier man.

SUNY Albany

Empire State Plaza

Registered
    Jun 2003
    http://www.albany.edu/about_the_univ...us_uptown.html

http://www.bluffton.edu/~sullivanm/e.../empiresp.html

Your links Cullen. Your points are well taken, but in these cases, where are the people? There are these great plazas that are supposed to be full and active, but what happened? I think one thing that modernists often over look, especailly on large strucutres, are keeping a human scale to them. When I see this stuff, I'm intimidated by it, as I'm sure most are.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 16
    Last post: 02 Nov 2005, 11:30 AM
  2. Four types of dwellings
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 15
    Last post: 13 Aug 2003, 11:28 AM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last post: 04 Apr 2003, 9:29 AM