Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: De Noc

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Couple Months Of Work

Just finishing-up a major project I have been working on nearly every weekend since Thanksgiving, 2011. Details follow.....

New De Noc Plats
    Started this project by drawing 8 new plats, all acreage within the City of De Noc's corporate boundaries. The plats are to the far north of the CBD, centered just NE of suburban Brookley and just NW of suburban Roxbury (the area's high-income suburb). These 8 plats increased De Noc's population by 23,808, coming in with a density rating of 3349 residents per/square mile (quite typical for near-suburban areas). Most of the acreage is land, just a small portion of Rumble Lake and a winding portion of Thunder Creek providing water acreage. De Noc's population is now 1,310,408, passing San Diego. De Noc is now the 8th-largest city in the USA.

Metropolitan De Noc now has 435 square miles of land acreage with a population density rating of 4995 residents per/square mile. Since about 1964/1965 this Bear has drawn nearly 500 plats. The Metropolitan Population, now ranked 23rd, has 2,249,811 residents. These additions enabled The Plastic City to pass Portland on the metro pop listing. The new plats included a number of manufacturing plants. Metro De Noc has 129,517 manufacturing jobs, good for a ranking of 13th (behind Atlanta and ahead of Cleveland). The annexation (these new plats) also increased the student count of the De Noc Public School District. De Noc is now the 12th-largest public school district (177,511), just behind Fairfax County (VA) (177,629) and just ahead of Orange County (FL) (175,245).

A Look At The Plats
    As always, my plats are named and numbered. Details.....

282. Baxter
    This plat includes some retail and commercial at the junction of Haymeadow Falls Road and Baxter Road. Baxter Park is in this area. There is also a large (8 buildings) office park, Halfmoon Ridge.

283. Starburst
    This plat is dominated by retail, commercial, and industrial facilities. The Superior Tollway (I-43E) slices through the plat. Adjacent to the Tollway is the large Northern Michigan Department of Highways Big Rabbit Facility. This plat also has a Ride Share Lot near the Tollway entrance.

284. Haymeadow
    This plat is dominated by retail, especially along Haymeadow Falls Road and Peninsula Parkway. Peninsula Parkway (southbound) gives area residents quick access to I-98 (Metropolitan Parkway - North), a direct connection with the other limited-access highways in the metro. A large retirement community is on this plat (Haymeadow Retirement Center).

285. Foxwood
    Some retail in the NW corner of the drawing, at the junction of Big Rabbit Road and Haymeadow Falls Road. A few apartment complexes scattered about. Cul-de-sac type housing development (Sunflower Plains) is near Thunder Creek and Thunder Creek Park. The 8 plats described here included 3 new parks, helping me to continue progress on getting the De Noc Metropolitan Park Board's facilities to be at-or-above national standards. Housing developments include Forest Ridge and Forest Park.

286. Stonegate
    A portion of this plat includes a small portion of Rumble Lake, at 630-feet above sea level one of the higher water sources in the metro. Prime lakefront homes dot the lake's shoreline. The Rumble Lake Bike Trail wanders through a portion of this drawing.

287. North Rumble
    This plat is dominated by industrial facilities, many of them served by tracks belonging to The Milwaukee Road (railroad company). I-43E slides past a number of the facilities as it curves northwest. Fire Station No. 22 is located on this plat.

288. Rumble-Penn
    This plat is a combination of residential single-family, some retail and commercial, and a few smaller industrial plants. The De Noc Public School District's newest high school, John Glenn, is located on this drawing. All of the just-drawn plats include a couple elementary schools and a junior high school.

289. Thunder Creek
    Thunder Creek winds through the primarily single-family residential neighborhoods of this plat. The plat also includes some apartments and condominiums. I also included a pair of condominium high-rise structures, Thunder Towers (18 stories). Neptune Park is on this plat just west of the rotary (North Rumble Road, Big Rabbit Road, Klein Lane).

A Word About High-Rises & Zoning.....Or Lack Thereof
    As mentioned many times, I have been working on this giant fake city for nearly 50 years. Back in the day I had no problem inserting high-rise buildings in just about any area. Usually they were residentially-oriented. As I grew to understand (a little ) this thing called "zoning" I started to re-think the insert-a-tower-anywhere plan. Then, on one of my many visits to Toronto, CA, I noticed that they too had somewhat of an insert-a-tower-anywhere philosophy. Sue me.

Bike Trails
    As always, when I finish a stack of drawings I enter all the detail and data into my more-than-100 spreadsheets, as necessary. Metro De Noc would certainly be in the Top 10 rankings for bike trails per/capita, although I am struggling to find that data. The metro now has (with the addition of the Rumble Lake Bike Trail mileage within these new plats) 114 miles of bike trails, most of them of a Class I (paved, separate from traffic) designation.
    _____

Not sure what my next project will be. Big projects still in process include bus routes, more fire/rescue stations, and some major changes to the De Noc Transit System's monorail system.
    _____

In Other News.....
    The Archdiocese of De Noc announced that Eastern Catholic High School is closing. The Elwood Public School District announced that one of their two high schools, South High, is closing. The Lakewood Public School Distict announced that one of their two high schools, Warwick, is closing. All of these closings are due to declining enrollments as the demographics of the student bodies change.
    _____

Cold night in store for De Noc. Temperatures are expected to hover near 8F, considerably below-normal. Sunday will bring some light snow and more below-normal temperatures, near 17F. But by mid-week the temperatures will be back above normal, probably about 40F.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    May 2003

Legacy

Lately this Bear has been thinking about the term "legacy" and how it applies to my giant fake city, De Noc. Of course, I hope to live another 40 years (and cross the century mark!) but this thing that holds our brain (body) may have other, albiet shorter, plans. Tragic accidents happen all the time, so my breathing could stop in a non-health-related manner. But, still planning on plus-100.

That said, when I take my final walk what will happen to De Noc? It should serve as a "legacy", a hard copy reminder/remembrance of what (part of me) I was all about. But I figure it will be destined for the landfill and wherever olde computer files go to die. My strange (not to you, I bet) hobby is not something you can sell at an estate sale. Unlikely that anybody in my family will give it more than a "Oh, so this is what he worked on all those Sunday afternoons" look. What happens to the accumulation of other's strange hobbies?

That said (again), the contents of my legacy, as of this post (March, 2012) include.....

What I assume is the largest hand-drawn fictional city map(s) in the world.
    292 plats (approx 22"x17") = City of De Noc.
    210 plats (approx 22"x17") = Suburbs (38 drawn, so far)
    1 Overall Map of the Metropolitan Area (approx 22"x17")
    16 "Yellow" maps, each one with lakes, streets/roads, important buildings all drawn in, but much less detail than the normal plat drawings. Each sheet has 49 plats focused.
    (Note: Yellow because I used yellow poster boards for these.)
    (Note: Yellow maps help me do long-range planning, assisting me by providing better overall views with less plat/maps to handle.)
    4 Special Maps = Railroads, numbered industries (listed on a spreadsheet), lakes, fire stations, city and village corporate boundaries. (I use these a lot.)
    1 Northern Michigan map.....what you would call "The Upper Peninsula", in my world the 51st state.
    1 Zip Code map, badly outdated. Needs to be re-done. Just another project.
    68 Excel spreadsheets (It's all about the details!).
    45 Word documents, mostly specific lists, such as "Names & Addresses Of Federal Facilities".
    1 (partially-done) official comprehensive plan.
    "The Packet" = Plans, ideas, notes, small maps.....all used while creating new plats.
    Pens, pencils, Hi-Liters, erasing pencils, straight edges, circle templates, misc. templates, curved edges, document cleaning pads.
    Cyburbia thread (35,000+ views, approaching 400 responses).
    (Note: Most thread responses are via Bear Mail. )

So, my "legacy" is a pile of "stuff". I want my money back.
    _____

Temperatures for the next few days in De Noc will be about 15-degrees above normal. The normal high is 34F.....the Plastic City is expecting temps to be high-40F to mid-50F range. Break out the shorts!

Bear
    De Noc Dude since 1965
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jul 2006

Demographics?

BUN, now that more detailed data is available from the 2010 Census, what are the De Noc demographics looking like? Age, ethnicity, education, you know what I'm talking about...
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    May 2003

Big News!

Before I jump to the focus for this post a word to ofos.....Yes, this Bear will put together some demographic information for Metropolitan De Noc. Give me some time to ponder it (in this teeny tiny brain of mine).
    _____

I have some really big news to report! For the first time in many years I am making a major change to the metropolitan area and to my long-term plans. Regular thread observers probably know that I still have quite a few suburbs to draw (32 to be exact ). Tonight I just re-did the main planning map and added 23 more suburbs. You probably respond "WTF?". Here's the logic path.....

This thread on Cyburbia has proven to be a source of ideas and inspiration. In my time as a contributor to this cool forum I have made changes, additions, subtractions, and other moves (sparked by those with voices more plan-rational than my own) to my giant fake metro. One such suggestion came from regular reader mgk920. He pointed out that because of the size of Metropolitan De Noc (2 million-plus smiling faces ) it was likely that a causeway would be built from Wisconsin's Door Peninsula, island-hopping to the Garden Peninsula, which is just southeast of my city. A few years ago I made that change, with the impact just showing in my eastern suburbs: I43E was the interstate designation for the Whitefish Causeway. Some eastern suburb drawings were changed to show I43E roaring in from the Garden Peninsula. But I had no (original) plans to have suburbs lining the interstate all along the Garden Peninsula. In the real world it is likely that this would happen. Suburbs......exurbs.....call them what you want.....tonight I just added a bunch.

Tonight, using Bing Maps and my Michigan Gazetteer, I added 23 more suburbs. For the most part I grabbed names of villages, roads, lakes, etc. for the new suburbs. Some names are gentle morphings of real places and some just fell to the floor (from the open spot on my brain). Creating the names and general locations for the new suburbs was no biggie. The real work, in addition to drawing all of those suburbs (original and the newbies) before I move on to my next life on the "Worm Food Express", will be developing all the data adjustments that must be mixed into my stack of secondary documents, charts, and maps.....and all of those Excel and Word documents. Like, wow!

Here is the list of suburbs just added tonight:

Spring Creek
    Myrtle Spur
    Inwood
    Elkhorn
    Cooks
    Springer
    Grass Lake
    Pine Cone Beach
    Garden Grade
    Sand Beach
    Eagle Bay
    Little Harbor
    Pillows Pointe
    Bursaw Cliffs
    Garden
    Portage Bay
    Gillnet
    East Fayette
    Sac Bay
    Fairport
    Ogontz
    North Stonington
    Stone Noc

The last three are actually on the Stonington Peninsula, the large spit of land southwest of the metro and directly across Little Bay De Noc from Escanaba. I rationaled that some growth would be happening here, just not to the extent of the suburban growth along I43E on the Garden Peninsula.

My next step will be to develop a TO DO LIST for capturing any major changes because of this big event. Onward!
    _____

Temperatures today in De Noc were in the lower 60F-range, quite warm for this date. Late next week the temps will be back to slightly-below normal, about 40F.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Have they hosted any NCAA Tournaments ? Basketbal or Hockey ?

How many seats are in the basketball arena/ event center ?
    Is there enough hotel rooms to support this ?
    There is a CBS Affiliate ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    May 2003

Answering JNA

As always, good questions from JNA. Some answers.....

One would have to assume that a metro with a population of 2-million-plus and a large basketball arena will play host, numerous times, to the NCAA tourneys, both men and women. Also, a metro of this size located in the northern Great Lakes would be a natural for numerous NCAA hockey events. Martin Center is the 17,000-seat basketball arena, also serving duty as the area's major events center. Martin Center is located just a mile southwest of De Noc's CBD, adjacent to Superior Stadium (NFL Football), Star Arena (NHL Hockey), and Western Sports Park (MLB Baseball). These four venues share a common parking lot and transit access via the DNTS monorail system and the DNTS CBD's People-Mover System.

Attendees for NCAA basketball (Martin Center) or NCAA hockey (Star Arena) would have their choice to drive to the complex or hop transit via the monorail system's Royal Oak Park Station or the Sports Complex People-Mover Station. De Noc's CBD has over 4000 Class A hotel rooms, easily accessible via the People-Mover and De Noc's SkyTube pedestrian walking system. The metro area has over 15,000 hotel rooms.

Of course there is a CBS affiliate in the metro: KBK-TV, 614 East Brooklyn Heights Boulevard, De Noc, Northern Michigan.

Unfortunately, the metro's larger universities all fit within that sports category of "mid-major" so any trips to the NCAA in basketball are usually over quite quickly. In hockey, the local universities do quite well (as expected).

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    How long before the City of De Noc annexes Elkhorn?

<DUCKS and RUNS!>

Mike

Registered
    May 2003

Answers Again: Maybe

My friend, mgk920, asks how soon De Noc would annex a suburb named Elkhorn, on the list of suburbs to be drawn, a list that was updated this St. Paddy's Day weekend. Not sure if I can provide an answer. As the City of De Noc has expanded, through annexation, its' corporate boundaries, I have reasoned that these land-grabs are of township areas. The Metropolitan Area is adjacent-to and surrounded-by the following townships:

Nahma Township - North and northwest of the metro.
    Masonville Township - Due west of the metro.
    Ensign Township - Southwest of the metro.
    Bay De Noc Township - At the tip of the Stonington Peninsula (southwest of the metro).
    Garden Township - Part of the Garden Peninsula (southeast of the metro) and the area east of the metro.
    Fairbanks Township - At the tip of the Garden Peninsula.

De Noc did annex three suburbs, located in the northern metro, circa 1950s (a much smaller metro). Details:

Lexington - Annexed in 1952.
    Orange Villa - Annexed in 1952.
    Oak Falls - Annexed in 1954.

So.....it's been a lot of years since the "big guy" grabbed some "little guys". Elkhorn, the suburb-to-be-drawn, is located about 9 miles from the present eastern corporate limits of De Noc. That land between De Noc and Elkhorn would have to be annexed. It is presently part of the northern portion of Garden Township.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    That sounds a bit like the relationship between Omaha and Elkhorn, NE before the latter became a neighborhood of the former in March of 2007.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elkhorn,_Omaha,_Nebraska

There was a discussion about it here in Cyburbialand at the time.

Mike

Registered
    May 2003

A Few De Noc Updates

Time to take a few moments between the hourly chimes calling out from the clock tower on the campus of The University of De Noc and provide some De Noc updates.....

De Noc Metropolitan Housing Authority (DNMHA)
    The local housing authority operates 251 buildings in the metropolitan area, most located in the inner-city areas of De Noc. The majority of the buildings are 4 stories or less in height and most provide housing for low-income families. There are 8 high-rise buildings operated by DNMHA but, like similar 1960s-type urban renewal projects, these taller structures are slated for closure and demolition. 34 of the 251 buildings are focused on providing housing for senior citizens. Making changes to the DNMHA map (and structure type) is on my large project list.

Lake County Library System
    The Lake County Library System has 21 branches, scattered around the metropolitan area. The large Main Library is at 480 S. Washington Street in De Noc's CBD. 10 of the branch libraries are within the De Noc corporate limits and the balance are in suburbs.

Metro Bridge Inventory
    I am still working on the detailed bridge inventory, a project I started a couple years ago. My periodic work on this project brought me to 200 plats reviewed for bridges, all in De Noc. Still have 42 more De Noc plats to review and then it will be on to the suburban inventory (212 plats). I determine if a bridge is "vehicle", "pedestrian", or "railroad". The inventory also lists what the bridge is crossing over, such as another road, a railroad, a water stream, etc. Finally, I list the government unit responsible for the bridge.

Cemeteries
    Metropolitan De Noc has 13 cemeteries (and another drawn in the suburb of Whitefish, a suburb I have been working on this spring season). The 13 cemeteries are situated on 1993 acres, likely way too low for a metro with over 2 million residents.

Trucking Terminals
    When I first started drawing De Noc (in the mid-1960s!) I had a Toledo Freight Book.....a list of all of the trucking companies that served the NW Ohio area. I used info from that book to place trucking companies throughout the metropolitan area. The total is now at 45 different trucking companies with facilities in the De Noc metro. But there is a flaw......in the many moons that have since passed, many of the companies in that book (and on my drawn plats) are now either gone or consolidated with others. One of my projects is to research the changes and make the corrections to my plat drawings (and the spreadsheet details).

Yacht Clubs
    Metropolitan De Noc has 29 "drawn" inland lakes and a significant presence on Lake Michigan's Big Bay De Noc. All of that available boating water helped create a metro with 27 different yacht clubs. A few of those yacht clubs are also country clubs. All of the yacht clubs belong to one of the two yacht club organizations.....the Associated Yacht Clubs (AYC) and the Northern Yacht Club Association (NYCA).

The Little Fishdam Locks
    The Orange Basin includes the following connected lakes, all at 605' above sea level: Orange Lake, Lake St. Paul, Wayside Lake, Dancing Bear Lake, Moss Lake, Little Moss Lake, Dearborn Pond, and Flipper Pond. The southeastern suburb of Little Fishdam, working with the De Noc Metropolitan Park Board (DNMPB) and the two yacht club organizations, constructed 2 locks (allowing recreational boats up to 39'). These locks can bring boaters from the Orange Basin (605' above sea level) down to the Lake Michigan level (581').....a 24-foot elevation change.

Project List
    My project list currently has 170 different projects. Some of these items can be (or have been) completed in an hour or two of drafting table work. Many of these tems will require major billing hours. Many of the 170 different projects are grouped into 21 major project categories. 66 projects are complete (38.82%). No rest for this Bear!

New Car Dealers
    NW Ohio has about 12 to 15 Chevrolet dealers. Making some SWAG calculations I can see that the number of new car dealers in Metropolitan De Noc is way too few. NW Ohio has about 2 million souls.....my metro is slightly above that, so using similar ratios I should have 24 to 30 Chevrolet dealers. Taking into account the large geographical area of NW Ohio I could probably assume that my metro would have about 6 to 8 less. Thus, I should have around 20 Chevy dealers. I have drawn (over all these years) just 6 Chevrolet dealers. Others (with similar stats) in Metropolitan De Noc: Ford at 7, Toyota at 6, Honda at 5. I need to get crackin'.

Auto Parts Stores
    Here is a list of the auto parts stores in my metro (not counting a few independents): O'Riley's, Murray's, Checker, Auto Zone, NAPA, Carquest, and Pet Boys. Numerous branches for each of these outlets.
    _____

This spring I have been working on drawing the south suburb of Whitefish. This suburb will consist of 8 square miles with a combination of residential, commercial, and industrial. Preliminary planning is done, some plat work is completed. I will keep you posted.

Bear

EDIT: Temperatures in De Noc this holiday weekend Sunday are predicted to reach 68F, with thunderstorms later tonight. Memorial Day's temp will be 75F and after the front moves through the Plastic City will go back to more normal mid-60F temps.
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    May 2003

Flagpole Annexation - None Scheduled For De Noc

This morning I was reading different web articles about "flagpole annexation", a term (no doubt) familiar to most of you but not so familiar to this Bear. Years ago, De Noc annexed three different suburbs.....Lexington and Orange Villa in 1964 and Oak Falls in 1965. All of these suburbs were on the northern corporate limits of De Noc and did not involve any kind of gerry-mandering type strip of land. Even though I understand why a city would do a "flagpole annexation" De Noc has no plans along those lines. That said, even with the mix of suburbs I added to my grand plans (see De Noc Post 354 for details) there are a number of locations in the metro where De Noc's corporate limits are not "boxed-in". Examples:

On the southwestern edge of the metro, between the suburbs of Alaska House and Winterwoods. This area is south of the border of the Rapid River National Forest.
    On the north-by-northwest edge of the metro, between the suburbs of Mahskeekee Lake and Rumble Lake.
    On the northern edge of the metro, north of the suburbs of Slowfoot Lake, Little Bass Lake, and Whitmer.
    On the northeastern edge of the metro, east of the suburbs of Frying Pan Lake, City of Industry, and north of the suburb of Jack Pine.
    On the eastern edge of the metro, between the suburbs of Germaine Spring and Jack Pine.

De Noc cannot expand farther south because it is boxed-in by Lake Michigan's Big Bay De Noc.
    _____

Temperatures today in De Noc, quite pleasant for late spring.....high today will be 76F with plenty of sunshine. On Monday the rain moves in and the temperatures move back to the mid-60F range.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post
    This morning I was reading different web articles about "flagpole annexation", a term (no doubt) familiar to most of you but not so familiar to this Bear. Years ago, De Noc annexed three different suburbs.....Lexington and Orange Villa in 1964 and Oak Falls in 1965. All of these suburbs were on the northern corporate limits of De Noc and did not involve any kind of gerry-mandering type strip of land. Even though I understand why a city would do a "flagpole annexation" De Noc has no plans along those lines. That said, even with the mix of suburbs I added to my grand plans (see De Noc Post 354 for details) there are a number of locations in the metro where De Noc's corporate limits are not "boxed-in". Examples:

On the southwestern edge of the metro, between the suburbs of Alaska House and Winterwoods. This area is south of the border of the Rapid River National Forest.
    On the north-by-northwest edge of the metro, between the suburbs of Mahskeekee Lake and Rumble Lake.
    On the northern edge of the metro, north of the suburbs of Slowfoot Lake, Little Bass Lake, and Whitmer.
    On the northeastern edge of the metro, east of the suburbs of Frying Pan Lake, City of Industry, and north of the suburb of Jack Pine.
    On the eastern edge of the metro, between the suburbs of Germaine Spring and Jack Pine.

De Noc cannot expand farther south because it is boxed-in by Lake Michigan's Big Bay De Noc.
    _____

Tempe

ratures today in De Noc, quite pleasant for late spring.....high today will be 76F with plenty of sunshine. On Monday the rain moves in and the temperatures move back to the mid-60F range.

Bear
    Can I safely assume that Northern Michigan's state annexation law is much more 'friendly' to the state's cities than those of neighboring Michigan and Wisconsin?

Mike

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by mgk920 View post
    Can I safely assume that Northern Michigan's state annexation law is much more 'friendly' to the state's cities than those of neighboring Michigan and Wisconsin?

Mike
    Yes, that would be a safe assumption. However, since I am "grand poo bah" of this thing called De Noc, I can change the rules anytime I desire. Probably won't do an annexation, though.....lot of work to change all my maps and data. On a side note, in a real world scenario some of the smaller adjoining suburbs would consider "joint services agreements", such as fire and police. Water, waste services, parks, and libraries are all single metro unit entities. Good example of a pair of side-by-side suburbs, Eastland and Kingstown, would be better served with a single fire and police department......these two 'burbs are only using less than 3 square miles of territory.

Would school systems also follow such a path? Perhaps. Some smaller communities in Michigan merge bigger budget sports teams. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm..............

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    May 2003

De Noc's Waterfront VS Major Great Lakes' Cities

No major city on the Great Lakes has a better skyline than Chicago. Iconic, it is. (Toronto fans may argue that!) Browsing at skylines of other major league cities inspired this Bear to do a comparison of De Noc's waterfront with the other major cities on the Great Lakes. To begin this exercise, let's start with some population stats:

Core City Population
    Chicago (2,695,598)
    Toronto (2,615,060)
    De Noc (1,310,408)
    Detroit (713,777)
    Milwaukee (594,833)
    Cleveland (396,815)
    Toledo (287,208)
    Buffalo (261,310)

Metropolitan Area Population
    Chicago (9,504,753)
    Toronto (5,583,064)
    Detroit (4,285,832)
    De Noc (2,249,811)
    Cleveland (2,068,283)
    Milwaukee (1,562,216)
    Buffalo (1,134,039)
    Toledo (650,266)

Now let's provide a few blurbs about each city mentioned:

Chicago
    As mentioned in the opening salvo, Chicago's lakefront is magnificent. The lakeside provides museums, a planetarium, a zoo, stadia, multiple residential high-rises along Lakefront Boulevard, gorgeous beaches, a great lakeside walking/cycling path. Photos of the super skyline are familiar to all of us, somewhat disguising the major problems that exist just a few blocks inland. I know that multi-use is important to planners and Chicago's lakefront hits a home run. Move away from the CBD and you still have awesome views from the water, going north or south. Only when you get further south does the waterfront change to heavy industrial/commercial. Waterfront Bear Scale: A+

Toronto
    Wiith its' super-sized CN Tower, an ever-growing modern skyline, ample residential, commercial, and retail along the shoreline, Toronto is very impressive. The city ignored its' waterfront (directly south of the CBD) for years and seemed to re-discover it. The results are staggering. The city joins Chicago as the only two Great Lakes' cities that are "World Cities". Waterfront Bear Scale A+

Milwaukee
    Even with a somewhat moderate-for-its'-size skyline, Milwaukee has done well with their waterfront. The CBD has good access to the waterfront and a number of parks and museums amply fill the space between buildings and water. Waterfront Bear Scale: B

Detroit
    Even though not actually with a CBD on a Great Lake, Detroit's position between Lake Huron/Lake St. Clair and Lake Erie make it, IMO, a true Great Lakes' city. The skyline is an architect's dream, if inspired by classic structuring. The waterfront along the Detroit River has an ample mix of commerce and stadia (in the CBD), primarily residential when wandering toward Lake St. Clair, and heavy industrial when motoring toward Lake Erie. Detroit's Belle Isle Park is a gem, although it needs some upkeep. Because Detroit is trying so hard to promote/develop their waterfront, Waterfront Bear Scale: B-

Toledo
    The CBD of Toledo is positioned a few miles from Lake Erie's Maumee Bay, but the Glass City is on this list because it has always been considered a Great Lake's burg. The skyline is not very impressive and when you go north or south from the CBD you are hit with old (generally unkempt) residential and some industrial/commercial. I-75, circling the CBD with its' many lanes of traffic, has a half-built interchange.....the original plans were for "The Downtown Distributor" to place a limited-access highway along the Maumee River, junctioning north of the CBD with I-280. Local groups fought the plans, insisting that the city "open" its' access to the waterfront. It did, with some success. Promenade Park became the place to go, especially on summer Fridays....."Rally By The River" was a hit for many years. Some attempts at riverfront residential flopped: A batch of new condominiums were built on the southern edge of the CBD. A few years later the then-Mayor of Toledo sold them to a buyer in Sandusky, OH, and the homes were actually "moved" on barges. The waterfront acreage then became the home for the architecturally-wild World Headquarters of Owens-Corning. The Pink Panther stayed in the CBD, although its original 30-story skytower has been empty for years. Hugging the Michigan state line is the unique residential neighborhood, Point Place ("The best place anyplace, Point Place!" - Sign on Summit Street as you pass golf courses on either side of the street and slide into "The Point".) Point Place has thousands of homes, small lots, many with front porches facing Maumee Bay or the Ottawa River. I will try to be objective: Waterfront Bear Scale C+. Only because of the citizen involvement in halting the end of riverfront access from the CBD.

Cleveland
    The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Cleveland Browns Stadium provide some nice access to Lake Erie. Cleveland's skyline when viewed from Lake Erie, is actually quite impressive. The Terminal Tower (no longer the highest skytower) is a great-looking structure. But getting to the lake can be a chore for those in the CBD. especially with the industry at the mouth of the Cuyahoga River (no longer on fire) and the big swatch of land taken up by the small plane airport. Seems like the powers in Cleveland have focused more on the central core of the CBD and (a few years ago) and the taverns and restaurants area known as "The Flats". IMO, Cleveland doesn't take its' lakefront serious-enough, so Waterfront Bear Scale: C

Buffalo
    An older, with some nice looking structures, skyline.....apparently limited waterfront access.....industry, commerce, and limited-access highways blocking ample access to Lake Erie.....Buffalo scores rather low on the Waterfront Bear Scale: C-

De Noc
    De Noc's CBD is about 15 miles north of Lake Michigan's Big Bay De Noc. The CBD is a half-mile east of inland Devils Lake but it qualifies for this exercise because a significant portion of the metropolitan area lines the big lake. De Noc's access to the lake is only in a few places.....places with Port Authority complexes, some industrial, some residential (high-rise condominiums) and some retail. Most of the shoreline is a combination of residential, commercial, and industrial.....in the 4 lakeside suburbs I have drawn. There are 27 more lakeside suburbs to be drawn so "who knows?" what their waterfront access, etc., will be. Again, being objective, I have to give De Noc the following rating: Waterfront Bear Scale: D
    _____

Should I have included Rochester, New York? Relatively close to Lake Ontario. What about Montreal, CN? If riverfront Detroit is included should I have also included Montreal?
    _____

Weather in De Noc today: Partly cloudy with a high of 68F. Monday will be sunny and 68F. Probably just a tad below normal.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    May 2003

Creative Block

Yesterday as the U.S.A. celebrated another birthday this Bear swooned through a session of "creative block". It happens on occasion, much to my dismay. Here's a summary of my day at the drawing table.....

Late morning, retrieve the "De Noc Cart" from its' storage location.
    Prepare the pencils, pens, French Curves, templates, erasing pen, portable pencil sharpener.
    Insert a DVD, as is usual practice. Today I will have a few adventures with Mannix. Last time it was a B-Movie from Drive-In Theater Classics. Still, it is primarily background stuff.
    From the "De Noc Cart" I retrieve the drawing folder that is holding the IN PROCESS plats.
    By Noonish I am ready to continue my work on the south metro suburb of Whitefish.
    I look through all my notes, checking out the small preliminary plan I had prepared before I even started this suburb. Everything needs to make sense.
    And I begin.

And that is just about as far as I got. "Creative block", akin to "Writer's Block", cramped my style. I just kind of stared at the partially-completed plat. I knew what I had to do.....finish drawing South Long Lake Boulevard and begin drawing the buildings that will line this busy state route thoroughfare. The plat I was working on is directly south of already-completed Whitefish Plat 1 (CBD). I know that this would be a busy area, heavy with retail and offices. Behind this road, large apartment complexes would fill vacant spots. But I continued to stare. I have no idea (that I will publicly share ) why I encountered this dance with "creative block".

Later in the day I tried again, to no avail. So everything went back into storage, albiet "temporary" storage. Tomorrow is another day.
    _____

Today in De Noc it was sunny and 85F. Tomorrow it will be 82F with storms moving in later in the day. The weekend will bring some rain, then lots of sun, with highs in the very-comfortable 73F-range.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    May 2003

Pencil Time

Here are some facts, if you give a damn. If you don't, TS, still gonna present 'em.....

Pencil Time (As Calculated In Plats Drawn
    Total plats drawn, since 1965 - 568
    Of the 568 total, De Noc plats drawn - 359
    Of the 568 total, suburban plats drawn - 209
    Total pencil time, @ 5 hours/plat - 2840 hours

Original number of suburbs (most are multi-plat) planned - 18
    Suburbs added to master plan in 1970s - 2
    Suburbs added to master plan in 1990s - 13
    Suburbs added to master plan early in 2000s - 40
    Suburbs added to master plan this year - 28

3 suburbs were drawn but then re-drawn when they were annexed to De Noc.
    51 De Noc plats were re-drawn when I went through my "1970's-style urban renewal projects"
    16 De Noc plats were red-drawn for various reasons (expressway construction, re-doing some university properties, major building and or road changes, etc., yadda)

Suburban plats drawn - 209
    Number of suburbs (most multi-plat) drawn - 41
    As of Year 2012, total suburbs drawn or planned - 98

So, a core city (De Noc) of (present population) 1,310,408, will eventually have 98 suburbs. Methinks that is not out of line with what would happen in a real world. To be sure, some of those planned 57 suburbs will really be exurbs, being located 20-30 miles from the De Noc CBD. Before you yell at me for contributing to sprawl.....I draw what I think would happen.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    May 2003

Population & Catholics

This weekend I was working on statistics related to the Catholic Archdiocese of De Noc. While doing that work it occured to me that forever and a day I have only been including Lake County (the Northern Michigan county where De Noc is located) in U.S. Census details. Since when is a major metropolitan area only allowed to count heads in the core county? So I red-did some census stats.

Population
    In my alternate world, Lake County grabbed the eastern half of Delta County and small portions of Schoolcraft County. De Noc certainly fits this description: An urban center of at least 10,000 population that is socioeconomically tied to the surrounding and adjacent population.....Metropolitan De Noc is a Core Based Statistical Area. With Lake County at its' core, the De Noc CBSA includes Delta County to the west and southwest, Schoolcraft County to the east, and Alger County to the north. New 2010 Census population details.....

21. Denver (2,552.195)
    22. Pittsburgh (2,354,957)
    23. De Noc (2,310,483)
    24. Portland (2,241,841)
    25. Cincinnati (2,171,896

Catholics
    I did some research on Catholic populations of the states adjacent-to or near Northern Michigan. On a "per/100,000 population" basis.....

Wisconsin (25,066)
    Minnesota (21,689)
    Michigan (17,375)
    De Noc CBSA (14,970)

Over the years I have never hesitated to draw-in Catholic churches, elementary schools, and high schools. About a year or so ago I developed parish boundaries and determined the Catholic population of each parish. The Archdiocese of De Noc includes all of Northern Michigan but the following stats are just from the De Noc CBSA.....

84 Parishes
    5 Missions
    76 Elementary Schools
    12 High Schools
    330,843 Catholics
    _____

Temperatures today in De Noc are a tad above normal......but Monday will usher-in temps that are significantly above normal. Looks for Plastic City temperatures to approach 90F. Warm, and a good day to jump in the clean, clear water of Red Lake.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    May 2003

Demographics

Last weekend I worked on compiling census stats and other key demographics for the De Noc Metropolitan Area. Still working on this.....will post them when finished (probably in a month or so). Adding all of those new suburbs to my "grand plan" significantly increased my stat work. But.....I have always kept any kind of depression away by working on any part of my giant fake city. Therapy, baby!

The weather in De Noc for the next few days is damn close to "perfect". Slight chance of thunderstorms with high temperatures in the mid-to-upper 70sF range.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    May 2003

De Noc & TOD

Not being a planner, for years I was not aware of the term Transit-Oriented Development (TOD). However, I am bright enough to understand that a busy transit system will generate development at or near the stations along its' line. For De Noc, I have it tagged as DNTS Station Influence Lists, Project Number 15B on my huge Project Matrix (now at 150 seperate projects. I haven't spent much time on this project, which helps to explain a 5% completion level. My original intent was to create what I would expect to be developed within 1 mile of each station. After browsing some of the recent TOD postings I have an urge to visit this project again.

DNTS - De Noc Transit System
    85 Stations
    9 of 85 are Junction Stations
    6 Main Lines (Red - Blue - Green - Yellow - Orange - Brown)
    2 Feeder Lines (Fairhaven Feeder & West De Noc Feeder)
    _____

Weather in De Noc for the next 5 days: Quite nice, with temperatures in the mid-to-upper 70Fs and a slight chance of rain on some of the days.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Apr 2003
    I just read the first few posts and I forgot how much time Bear spent working on De Noc, and then noticed that he started working on it in 1964.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    I hope one of us, or someone with the know how, can synthesize his work into a website that we can explore and pan through.

Thoughts?
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Almost 40,000 views of a thread of some guy's fake city. Amazing.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Bump ... the De Noc legacy

Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post
    Lately this Bear has been thinking about the term "legacy" and how it applies to my giant fake city, De Noc. Of course, I hope to live another 40 years (and cross the century mark!) but this thing that holds our brain (body) may have other, albiet shorter, plans. Tragic accidents happen all the time, so my breathing could stop in a non-health-related manner. But, still planning on plus-100.

That said, when I take my final walk what will happen to De Noc? It should serve as a "legacy", a hard copy reminder/remembrance of what (part of me) I was all about. But I figure it will be destined for the landfill and wherever olde computer files go to die. My strange (not to you, I bet) hobby is not something you can sell at an estate sale. Unlikely that anybody in my family will give it more than a "Oh, so this is what he worked on all those Sunday afternoons" look. What happens to the accumulation of other's strange hobbies?

That said (again), the contents of my legacy, as of this post (March, 2012) include.....

What I assume is the largest hand-drawn fictional city map(s) in the world.
    292 plats (approx 22"x17") = City of De Noc.
    210 plats (approx 22"x17") = Suburbs (38 drawn, so far)
    1 Overall Map of the Metropolitan Area (approx 22"x17")
    16 "Yellow" maps, each one with lakes, streets/roads, important buildings all drawn in, but much less detail than the normal plat drawings. Each sheet has 49 plats focused.
    (Note: Yellow because I used yellow poster boards for these.)
    (Note: Yellow maps help me do long-range planning, assisting me by providing better overall views with less plat/maps to handle.)
    4 Special Maps = Railroads, numbered industries (listed on a spreadsheet), lakes, fire stations, city and village corporate boundaries. (I use these a lot.)
    1 Northern Michigan map.....what you would call "The Upper Peninsula", in my world the 51st state.
    1 Zip Code map, badly outdated. Needs to be re-done. Just another project.
    68 Excel spreadsheets (It's all about the details!).
    45 Word documents, mostly specific lists, such as "Names & Addresses Of Federal Facilities".
    1 (partially-done) official comprehensive plan.
    "The Packet" = Plans, ideas, notes, small maps.....all used while creating new plats.
    Pens, pencils, Hi-Liters, erasing pencils, straight edges, circle templates, misc. templates, curved edges, document cleaning pads.
    Cyburbia thread (35,000+ views, approaching 400 responses).
    (Note: Most thread responses are via Bear Mail. )

So, my "legacy" is a pile of "stuff". I want my money back.
    _____

Temperatures for the next few days in De Noc will be about 15-degrees above normal. The normal high is 34F.....the Plastic City is expecting temps to be high-40F to mid-50F range. Break out the shorts!

Bear
    De Noc Dude since 1965
    ten ten

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Tide View post
    I hope one of us, or someone with the know how, can synthesize his work into a website that we can explore and pan through.

Thoughts?
    I wonder what it would take to scan everything and put it up on a website. I suppose to keep the cost down it all could be digitally photographed. Maybe future planning students could use it as a basis for their planning studies. I can see Skethup images of buildings, layers for Google Earth....
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Nov 2008
    What a wonderful thread. I never really "got" the De Noc thing (figured it was an inside forum joke), but it may be one of the cooler things I've read about in a long time. Bear was quite a character.
    You can grow ideas in the garden of your mind.

+ Reply to thread
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 14 15 16 LastLast