Urban planning community

Poll results: Is there a plethora of Junk Food available to you at work?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, the f-ing Keebler Elves live in the basement and I wish they would die.

9 69.23%
  • Yes - but who cares? I'm gifted with a fast metabolism.

0 0%
  • Sometimes - occasionally someone's wife will make us a batch of cookies.

2 15.38%
  • No. And I still wear my pants from my senior year in highschool.

2 15.38%
Closed thread

Thread: Getting Fat at Work

Registered
    Oct 2000

Getting Fat at Work

Ugh. In my office's kitchen is sitting a box of Freihofer soft chocolate chip cookies, at DPW there is a box of donuts from the REALLY good italian bakery (one of the highway guys is related, so the donuts are a thrice weekly occurance), and I've got the Planning Board's stash of candy (3 bags of hershey miniatures, 2 bags of kisses, 1 bag of reeses peanut butter cups and 5 bags of gummi bears) that they make me drag to the meeting every week that they all contribute to, but I have to store in my office. DPW's secretary has confided to me that she's gained 25 pounds in the three years she's worked here. Ugh. i've got 5 weddings this summer and my ex is going to be at one and my coworkers are subverting my efforts to be the foxiest mama ever.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    I guess we're a bunch anti-social tightwads here - no baking, no treats on people's desks, etc. This is a good thing as I do enough damage to myself without having to worry about the availability of junk food at work!

The worst I've seen anyone do at work is a man have a chocolate bar. Not that there's any problem with a man having a chocolate bar (other than the health angle) but the poor guy got a few hisses from the other women here (who are all admin. and on diets, so they're miserable so and sos). I get the occasional hiss, too, as I'm all of 57kg/9 stone/126 pounds and apparently eat like a horse. However, I recently restored peace by pointing out that I've put on a kilo or so/half a stone/about 7 pounds, since I started here. I'm claiming it's muscle from fencing and t'ai chi, but the others are adamant that it's Nature catching up with me. Still, it keeps the workers happy...
    Glorious Technicolor, Breath-Taking CinemaScope and Stereophonic Sound!

Registered
    Aug 2001

Jen ate too much candy Jen is fat

Take it from an ex skinny, once you hit thirty all those jellybeans from your past come back home to roost.

Kelly you are gonna have to flush out and exterminate those snack bags. Pass the stash to another candy enabler and bring your own goodies - I am not kidding but I recommend pitted prunes they are delicious.

Frustration is not fitting into sz __!?!?!?!? hot horny toad separates that arrived this week. Granted Im a Michigan __ and those were California __'s BIG difference.

Needless to say JO Can I join you for t'ai chai?

Damn those easter baskets and the cute wood moose that poops almond M&M's[

Registered
    Aug 2001
    It's not so much that I'm gaining weight as it is that the waistband on my pants is shrinking. Not because of the donuts. Not because of the lunches (bacon cheeseburgers, etc.) from the Feeding Frenzy. I'm sure I burn off the calories from the cappucino chocolate chip ice cream cone on the four-block round trip walk to the Double Dip Deli. This also replaces the 4-5 night per week I used to work out. No, I'm sure it is the pants.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    I'm all for the office birthday cake, and I love to bake and bring in the occasional batch of cookies. But today, just coming in this morning and seeing all that bounty of sugar pushed me right over the edge. My husband told me to shut up, eat the damn donut, since I'm probably (well, hopefully) going to be pregnant for the summer weddings anyway, so then i can just aim for that glowy earth mother pregnant lady look.

Registered
    Oct 2001

Thin to fat quick

I left the military and went straight to grad school. From daily exercise to parking my ever expanding rump in a chair behind a book or a computer.

Lord grant me the wisdom to accept....

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Well, to be honest, I never quite recovered from college.... My junior and senior years I drank probably 5 nights a week, lived on mac and cheese and eggs. Sadly, that was my signature move to lure poor drunken unsuspecting men into my sorority house: reel them in with the offer of the best omelette they'd ever had at 3:30 am and it usually worked. hee. I dried out a bit in grad school, met my husband, ran some of those eggs and beers off, and am now settling into my surburban wife weight. Alcoholism can take its toll on even the cutest ass.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I exercise some (not as much as when I was a cycling nazi putting 200 miles per week), but I am a constant sugar fiend. So, I am, to put it charitably, "husky."

Tried Weight Watchers-had no discipline and hated the silly meetings.

And today, we not only have our standard vending machines 20 paces away, but our Plan Checker brought in a bunch of cookies. I had at least three.

Oh well, when I keel over from insulin shock, nobody can say I didn't know better.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Cookies! Baked good, especially, are my downfall. I've got a great recipe for chocolate chip cookies made with cheese. Yum.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Chocolate+Sugar+Cheese= Cardiac Arrest with a smile on your face.

Registered
    Oct 2001

The 60 cents an item ($12.00 CDN) honor snack bar...

...resides just outside of my door. Talk about having to have willpower to avoid temptation. I just love Zero bars. Once I have eaten those I leave it alone. That computes to about 3 candybars a month.

Chubby is as chubby does.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Tranplanner has been fighting his urge for a Kit Kat Chunky all afternoon. Yesterday's attempt was foiled by a vending machine that ate my money...twice. I gave up figuring someone just didn't want me to have that chocolate bar.

My parents are flying back from the UK tomorrow and I'm sure they'll be bringing all sorts of treaties to fatten me up. Curly Wurlies, Buttons, Fry's Cream....drool...

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I just walked over to city hall and back - exercise! Three blocks there. Five blocks on the way back. A side trip to Double Dip. A waffle cone, espresso oreo, mmmm. It is sunny and in the 80's, how can I say no?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    DON'T GAIN WEIGHT BEFORE PREGNANCY DOES THAT TO YOU!!

Yes, I'm shouting; don't listen to hubby. You'll look great in a maternity outfit/dress - there are some stylish ones out there.

I think Jen said to store the sweets somewhere else, and that's best. I, too, am a former skinny suffering from the metabolic changes after three pregnancies. It's too hard to lose afterwards for some people.

Donuts were big in our office (and may have been required for some plan reviews). The office was located near the restaurant strip, and some of our farmer directors supplied us with good whole milk and chocolate milk.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I work in a food wasteland.

Being a single guy, I don't make my own lunches.

There are no restaurants in the town where I work.

The nearest town is dominated by a population that consists mainly of "working class Causasians of a rural Southern cultural orientation." Restaurants there? Either chain fast food, or greasy spoons that are so greasy, they'd make Teflon jealous.

I have no choice. Make my own lunches (ha!), eat unhealthy, or starve. I'll have the #1 combo, no cheese ... I'm holding at 165 pounds, but I could stand to lose 10.

One strange fact of life around here -- there's hundreds of acres of abandoned citrus groves throughout the town. Oranges -- we're talking about good, large, ripe oranges -- litter the rights-of-way like cigarette butts would in the big city.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Oct 2000
    In south carolina, my boss would make up HUGE batches of boiled peanuts. which i miss like crazy up here. anyway, his secretary gained 80 pounds when she was pregnant, because he brought her in a batch almost every other day because she was craving them. i shudder to think what her cholesterol got up to. i really miss southern food. what i wouldn't give for just one meat and three joint up here.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Dan Tasman wrote:
    Being a single guy, I don't make my own lunches.
    Wuss.

I try to make my own lunch (I'm saving for a wedding and home ownership), but the sheer variety of restaurants around my office is unbelievable - and yet I can find it hard to decide where to eat on any given day. Do I go for authentic Chinese, Thai, Japanese, Middle Eastern? Do I go to the organic market? Do I grab a slice of gourmet pizza? Aughhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!

Maybe I'll just hit the food court...again.

Registered
    Nov 2001

RUN!!!

My office seems the same as all the others. There is always a b-day or occassion where people bring in snacks, donuts, cake, etc. Just walk past it all. I am 6'2" and weigh in at about 190...that's 15 pounds more than I was in college. 27 was the magical age of decline (and a couple years ago), but I still go out 3-4 times a week with the boys, and I don't have a wife to cook for me so I typically eat what I have a craving for.

My advice to anyone looking to lose weight is to run. And I don't mean the 12-minute mile jog-type run. Run at a pace that makes your chest move faster than your legs.

I played soccer in college and still play semi-pro now. I have had three knee surgeries, two ankle surgeries, countless strained and partially torn ligaments and tendons, and some mornings I have to go down stairs on my ass...but I still run. I hate it, but I do it.

Stair equipment and the latest apparatus regaled by an info-mercial are worthless, IMO. You need lug your own body around and feel the impact of your wieght on your body. Machines tend to make your lower half look like a bulldog...running makes you thin...
    "Dear Prudence...won't you open up your eyes? "

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Try having everyone know that you are a single "young" man and order extra food for dinner meetings so you can take it home. (ie soup, sandwiches, pastry).
    While it saves on groceries, it does little for weight control.

Closed thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12
    Last post: 21 Aug 2008, 8:26 PM
  2. Replies: 37
    Last post: 10 Apr 2004, 4:40 PM
  3. This is why I do not work in FL
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 55
    Last post: 05 Apr 2004, 10:31 AM