Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Boston Skyline - 2014

Registered
    Nov 2003

Boston Skyline - 2014

BOSTON SKYLINE, 2014

After the second Bush administration’s ongoing regime-change operations in Syria, Iran, Sudan and Libya, grass-roots peace movements swept Islamic countries from Niger to Indonesia. Partly in response to widespread proselytizing by Christian missionaries bearing messages of peace and love, and a consequent 300 million conversions (100 million in 2007 alone), Sunni and Shi’ite clerics ecumenically fused their factions into a global unity movement, and issued a pan-Islamic proclamation of Islam’s unswerving adherence to peace, love, religious tolerance, women’s rights, democracy, and coexistence in the brotherhood of man. Weary of strife, the Islamic world rejoiced.

An unregenerate Osama Bin Laden’s followers deserted en masse, and his chief lieutenant turned him in at CIA’s Beirut bureau for the posted reward of twenty-five billion dollars and a new identity in Montana.

The world immediately fell into a deep peace, and runaway technological development: the Second Pax Americana.

The effect on the Islamic world’s economy was an astonishing seventeen percent annual GDP growth rate, fueled by a freewheeling liberalization of markets and trade policies, and exemplified by an Iraqi consortium’s friendly takeover of General Motors. Meanwhile, Pakistan launched a commercial space shuttle service for the nascent space tourism industry run by the Saudi royal family from exile in Monte Carlo

Overall global GDP growth for 2009 was a record ten percent. Poverty, AIDS and genocide were on the run in Africa, pursued by charitable contributions from all corners of the globe. Mexico and Puerto Rico joined the Union, for a total of 67 states.

The second Clinton administration, awash in budget surpluses, introduced universal health care, cradle to grave, and a generous retirement plan to replace the insolvent social security system. Existing universities thrived, and new ones sprang up to train a new generation of savvy managers.

In Boston, computer, biotech and space industries spurred rapid growth in banking, real estate and insurance, leading to a second major skyline expansion and planning for a decent subway system. Height restrictions were lifted, as sale of air rights by small, old buildings served simultaneously both preservation and development, while the BRA maintained its wise stewardship of the development process, simultaneously serving the public, the Treasury and the aspirations of elected officials. The population of Boston’s urban core grew by nearly half.

Here is a photo of the resultant skyline in 2014:

Just look at that antique cruise ship. It’s the latest thing. They make you wear a tux to dinner.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    I love your creativity! It may be a pipe dream(to this pessimistic Positivist), but a good one. Keep 'em coming!
    You're more boring than you know.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    wow... you are board at work today.
    If you're not growing, you're dying. - Lou Holtz

Registered
    Nov 2003

Bored

I took the day off.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    It looks a lot like Enville, wouldn't you say?

Registered
    Nov 2003
    All the new buildings are existing (obviously so are the old ones). How many can you identify?

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Great thread . Let see how many of us can sustain futuristic thinking.
    How did you arrive at 2014. Ten years for all that to happen Eh! Well well. I think even if the geopolitical situation changes that much the skyline may not.
    But lets hope.
    "I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them".
    -Isaac Asimov

Registered
    Nov 2003
    Maheep, just before this happens in 2014, the sky will be blackened with flying pigs.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Flying pigs?
    How about flying Zeppelins - you all might remember the promise of zeppelins docking to the top floor of the Empire State Building. After 2 attempts, the plan was abonded.

I actually like current skyline in Boston - I don't think it needs more skyscrapers. In fact, along with D.C. Boston looks refreshingly good due to the fact that it lacks many ugly skyscrapers (althuogh it still gets its fair share)..

Registered
    Dec 2003
    What you mean is airships/zeppelins shaped liken pigs( u mean with some snout and all) or even maybe Humans who would fly but they would actually be like pigs( sheeesh!!)

PS
    U see theres a slight difference between
    Flying Pigs
    and
    Pigs Flying.
    But I dont want to start a language conversation here.
    -Isaac Asimov

Registered
    Aug 2003
    eh, off the top of my head i can only really definitively identify the transamerican pyramid from san fran.

the blue tapered structure is insanely familiar to me.

i wanna say one of them is the jin mao tower...

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by bocian
    Flying pigs?
    How about flying Zeppelins -..
    Oh no, not another "whos better - Pink Floydd or Led Zepplin" thread.

Registered
    Nov 2003
    Solipsa, that pyramid certainly does resemble Transamerica. It is actually the London Bridge Tower by Renzo Piano, and is a full thousand footer versus 853 feet for Transamerica. They just approved it after years of wrangling with the NIMBYs and the British Heritage guys. It will be a great asset to London's skyline.

Some have already declared this to be the world’s most beautiful skyscraper, and it has not yet been built. Beautiful it is, but it has to compete with among others, the Chrysler Building.

http://www.skyscraperpage.com/forum/...er+renzo+piano

The tall "blue" building is the International Financial Centre in Hong Kong, by Cesar Pelli. It is currently Hong Kong's tallest, at 1357 feet--107 feet taller than the Empire State Building. Pelli is also architect of the Petronas Towers in Kuala Lumpur, currently said to be the world's tallest.

This building is truly astounding. Pelli has outdone himself:

http://www.skyscraperpage.com/forum/...ong+kong+pelli
    Last edited by ablarc; 11 Jan 2004 at 6:00 PM.

Registered
    Apr 2002
    Great work, ablarc. I love the mixture of buildings you used for Boston. Too bad that it takes everyone there forever to make up their minds on anything related to planning, ie Fan Pier project and the Kennedy Greenway. But, my fingers are crossed that Boston could have a future like you sketched!

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Hang on. Isn't that......? Could it be?

Why, yes! It's the second eastern brewery for Rumpy's RampageTM!

Giving Samuel Adams a run for its money in its own hometown, no less!

You go, Rumpy!
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I've always loved Petronas Towers. What an elegant design. I understand they are still largely vacant, though?

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Originally posted by SGB
    Hang on. Isn't that......? Could it be?

Why, yes! It's the second eastern brewery for Rumpy's RampageTM!

Giving Samuel Adams a run for its money in its own hometown, no less!

You go, Rumpy!
    slowly taking over the world

Next stop, St. Louis
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Originally posted by Rumpy Tunanator
    slowly taking over the world

Next stop, St. Louis
    What? No plans to return and open a Pittsburgh location?
    Rumpy's in the Strip. Sounds kind of fetching don't you think? Or, if you prefer, I'm sure I could help you find a nice spot in the Hill District.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Originally posted by biscuit
    What? No plans to return and open a Pittsburgh location?
    Rumpy's in the Strip. Sounds kind of fetching don't you think? Or, if you prefer, I'm sure I could help you find a nice spot in the Hill District.
    Too much competition from 'ron sitty'. Hey I use to work in the strip in the 2100 block. Hill district, sure if I want to set up shop in a car on concrete cylinders
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Petronas is really nice small lines and too many of them. And you are right BKM. Most of the building is not occupied.
    I think to make landmarks is one and to make landmarks commercially( business) viable is another.
    The petronas is more of a tourist attraction unlike the 'late WTC' twin towers" I think many such tall buildings have reasonably wel in north americas.

will post a few snaps of the Petronas soon
    ( once i get a new scanner)
    -Isaac Asimov

Registered
    Nov 2003
    Skyline

bocian,
    It’s not so much that Boston has few skyscrapers, as it is that Boston has so many that in some views they have fused into a blob. Lifting the height restrictions would re-establish variety in the skyline:

By contrast with Boston, here is Frankfurt. This skyline is much newer than Boston’s and has fewer buildings, yet it seems more imposing precisely because it has fewer buildings, as a consequence of which each building stands out individually. You can see sky between them:

BKM and Maheep,
    I share your enthusiasm for Petronas:

Here are the “new” buildings in the 2014 Boston skyline:

United Overseas Bank, Singapore, 1992, 66 stories, 918 ft., Team 3, architects.

Harkness Tower and Branford College, New Haven, 1918ff, James Gamble Rogers, architect.

Proposed South Station Tower, Boston. About 750 ft., subject to negotiation with FAA, BRA and NIMBYs. Cesar Pelli, architect.

London Eye, London, built 2000, 443 ft. Marks Barfield, architects.

Proposed Minerva Tower, London, 712 ft., Nicholas Grimshaw, architect.

Proposed London Bridge Tower, London, 1000 ft., Renzo Piano, architect.

A beautiful skyline enhanced. English Heritage disagrees, and is doing what it can to block it.

The Sorrento (apartments), Hong Kong, 2003, 74 stories, 840 ft.,

The Center, Hong Kong, 1998, 73 stories, 957 ft. without spire.

2 International Finance Centre, Hong Kong, 2003, 90 stories, 1357 ft., Cesar Pelli, architect.
    Last edited by ablarc; 14 Jan 2004 at 2:41 PM.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I like the London Bridge Tower. If they don't want it, they can send it this way.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    2 International Finance Centre looks like a gigantic beard trimmer due to the roof structure and the shape of the tower.

I like it though. The tapering of the tower toward the top is elegant.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Every day is today. Yesterday is a myth and tomorrow an illusion.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    From what I understand, the WTC was not really "successful" either without substantial subsidy.

ablarc: As for the "too many smaller towers make a weak skyline" argument-I totally agree. San Francisco benefits from the bridge approach, but there are too many boring beige boxes from the 1970s and 1980s. As a skyline in and of itself, I don't think it's very interesting.

Registered
    Nov 2003
    Originally posted by mendelman
    2 International Finance Centre looks like a gigantic beard trimmer due to the roof structure and the shape of the tower.
    That's not the only appliance it resembles.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 7
    Last post: 15 Mar 2011, 4:43 PM
  2. Changing the San Francisco skyline
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 14 Jun 2006, 2:15 PM
  3. Skyline Ranking
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 09 May 2005, 12:53 PM