Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A reason for GALIP? (vaguely work safe)

Registered
    Aug 2001

A reason for GALIP?

Court OKs Lesbian Homes Near Pecos

By PHAEDRA HAYWOOD | The New Mexican

A four-year battle over a controversial Pecos-area retirement development for lesbians ended last week when the New Mexico Supreme Court refused to hear Los Ruederos Neighborhood Association's petition appealing the approval of the subdivision....

McGowan -- a retired investment banker from Minnesota who marketed her development as a place for lesbians to retire -- faced resistance from longtime locals opposed to the project after she bought the 157-acre property three miles northeast of Pecos in 1999.

In 2000, the San Miguel County Planning and Zoning Commission denied her first two applications to develop the property, and a group of neighboring residents formed Los Ruederos Neighborhood Association to formally fight the development.

Her preliminary plan was finally approved in 2001, but the neighborhood association filed its first appeal of the approval in May 2002 on the basis of water availability. The association said water availability was its main objection to the development but it also cited the possibility of increased property taxes, traffic and light pollution.

After paying for a hydrology study to prove the potential development had sufficient water, dropping a guest ranch from the plan and reducing the number of lots from 24 to 19 -- McGowan got final approval for the development in November.

A state District Court dismissed the neighborhood association's appeal a few days later.

But the neighborhood association -- which raised money for legal fees by selling baked goods around town -- appealed again a month later, charging the development violated the fair-housing act by marketing primarily to retirement-age lesbians.

That appeal was denied by the District Court in October....

http://www.sfnewmexican.com/main.asp...SubSectionID=6
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    FWIW, here's the Web site of the developer of Los Ruederos.

Santa Fe has a very large gay population, and I can vouch from personal experience living in New Mexico that the state is extremely popular with lesbians; Las Cruces has a very visible lesbian population.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    Originally posted by Dan
    .....I can vouch from personal experience living in New Mexico that the state is extremely popular with lesbians; Las Cruces has a very visible lesbian population.

WE WANT GRAPHIC DETAILS!
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Originally posted by Duke Of Dystopia
    WE WANT GRAPHIC DETAILS!
    No you don't. We're talking about "womyn", not what you see on videos you rent at some store located at least 1000' from any church, daycare center, school and residential zoning district.

Registered
    Oct 2001

What is it about this word?

The first paragraph on the website:

Your home is your private oasis. At RainbowVision, enjoy the best of both worlds. Live in your own home with all the benefits of a luxury resort. RainbowVision provides a full spectrum of resort retirement living; featuring 40 fabulous condos for purchase and 105 beautifully designed independent and assisted living residences.....

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    El Guapo:

I thought "fabulous" was reserved only for gay men, not for lesbians! Aren't lesbians more rugged than fabulous, on average?
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    RainbowVision Properties? You’ve got to be kidding me.
    The name of the development sounds like a parody of itself.

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    Originally posted by mendelman
    El Guapo:

I thought "fabulous" was reserved only for gay men, not for lesbians! Aren't lesbians more rugged than fabulous, on average?

I thought "rugged" was reserved only for men of cyburbia...
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Aug 2001
    You guys are so kooky. Do any of you have a gay or lesbian friend? I do. And they are wonderful.

Is this Development for the GLBT community only, or can heteros live there?
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    May 2003
    Wow, I see a whole new world of real estate marketing. How about a subdivision with fee simple lots or condos that only Catholics can buy into? I bet the judge won't have any problem with that. Wait, let's not stop there. How about a development reserved strictly for those of Polish descent? Or, how about one that excludes lesbians? If the developer legally can build a subdivision that excludes straights, it just follows that another developer can exclude gays. Right? Shoot, I oughta be able to exclude anyone I want.

Seriously, I don't have a problem when a group of people with similar needs, background or culture choose to live together in community. If this is done under the auspices of land owned and controlled by a group (i.e., monastery, commune, etc.) or some similar arrangement, fine. But marketing fee simple lots in a subdivision strictly on the basis of affectational preference seems like a slippery slope to me. What's next, a subdivision marketed to dog lovers, no cat people allowed?

Registered
    Dec 2003
    He he he, I'm going to be rich!
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    Originally posted by Repo Man
    Probably like our senior developments... as long as at least one lesbian resides at the dwelling unit.....then a hetero can live there...but they must use words like "fabulous"

and I am sure the heteros are just lining up to live there.
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I personally hate age restricted developments, or any other developments that exclude people based on anything else but the amount of rent they can pay. Its fine to market to certain people (gays, retirees etc.) but I don't see how excluding people should be legal or ethical.

I can picture a Three's Company scenario where a woman pretends to be a lesbian to live in the complex.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Originally posted by Seabishop

I can picture a Three's Company scenario where a woman pretends to be a lesbian to live in the complex.
    Or like in "Bosom Buddies" where the two guys dressed up as women to live in the women-only apartment building.

It seems like some form of preferential segregation to me.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Originally posted by Repo Man
    I would imagine, that based on the Federal Fair Housing Act, anyone could live there. Age restricted, or "elderly", developments are the only federally sanctioned form of Housing Discrimination.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Originally posted by DecaturHawk
    Wow, I see a whole new world of real estate marketing. How about a subdivision with fee simple lots or condos that only Catholics can buy into? ... How about a development reserved strictly for those of Polish descent? Or, how about one that excludes lesbians?
    Father Adamski Village on the east side of Buffalo was a development of single-family homes that was marketed primarily to Polish-Americans. Because the neighborhood was undergoing racial transition, though, in a few years the subdivision became racially mixed.

There's a high-rise apartment building near where I live that is supposedly restricted to elderly Jewish residents.

At UB, some apartment listings on campus were posted in Korean and Chinese only. I've also seen ads for apartments that say "Christian only" and "women only."

Does anybody know what the deal is with "Christian REALTORS?" In Florida, many realtors promoted themselves as being Christian, with fishes on their business cards and signs. Many just out-and-out said that they were born-again in their advertising, almost like the guys who operate businesses like "Jesus is Lord Towing" and "He Will Rise Again Soon Heating and Cooling." (Those were the ones that caused me the most trouble, for some reason.)

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Is it just me or does the site plan look like something else? Does anyone else see it, without getting graphic?

Registered
    Dec 2001

moral route

Originally posted by SlaveToTheGrind
    Is it just me or does the site plan look like something else? Does anyone else see it, without getting graphic?

I'll be the morally responsible one and say it looks like a face, 2 eyes, nose, smile.

that is all
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Is it just me or does the site plan look like something else? Does anyone else see it,
    No, you just need some attention.....if you know what I mean.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Nice island.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    If I squink, I think I see an Enville cameltoe.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    Someone should prune the bush though, its outa control!

What side is the top and what side is the bottom?
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Originally posted by NHPlanner
    I would imagine, that based on the Federal Fair Housing Act, anyone could live there. Age restricted, or "elderly", developments are the only federally sanctioned form of Housing Discrimination.
    You are basically right NHPlanner but there are some exceptions, based on size and owner-occupancy (I believe that if the landlord occupies one of up to four units, they may "discriminate" all they want); and, that private organizations can develop housing available to their members only. There may be another that I don't recall at the moment.

Sexual orientation/sexual preference is not protected under the Fair Housing Act (although some states do include it). So, yes, I think they can legally state that the housing is for G/L only.

Edit: I especially like the buildings in the center
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Here's their other planned development, for the men.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Funny, work safe, and worth it.
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 22 Oct 2004, 9:17 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 01 May 2004, 9:45 AM
  3. Replies: 37
    Last post: 10 Apr 2004, 4:40 PM
  4. Replies: 6