Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: World Class Cities in the U.S.

Registered
    Apr 2002

World Class Cities in the U.S.

Which U.S. Cities do you think of as "World Class".

IMO, the following factors contribute to "World Class" status:

Size, economic might, and worldwide name recognition all play a significant role in determining a city's status on the world stage. What are other facors that you feel contribute to a city's global importance?

Here is my opinion of USAs world class cities. what is yours?

Without question: New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Washington

Definitely (IMO): Boston, Philadelphia, Miami, San Francisco

Debatable: Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Seattle

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'd have to agree with your picks. I think I might add New Orleans to the possible list, and maybe Toronto, even though it is not yet a part of the U.S.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver would be the Canadian cities I would put forth for this list - if you are interested in expanding it to include North America, and not just including cities that Grand Master P thinks will be 'Merican one day...

Toronto has a serioius self-esteem problem when it comes to thinking of ourselves as a "world class" City. In one way, I think we keep hyping Toronto as being "world class", hoping that the rest of the world will eventually believe us. Things like "If Toronto hosts the (insert event here), we will truly become a World Class City".

Blech.

I don't think anyone can make a city "world class". It just kinda happens - you get that agglomeration of hipness, attractions, and "je ne sais quoi" that just make a city a destination.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    You will be assimilated....

But really, Toronto is a great city, Montreal is on my list of "must see" cities, and Vancouver outdoes either Seattle or Portland. I don't say that just because I'm half Canadian.

Registered
    Apr 2002
    I've never been to Vancouver. I had a wonderful time in Toronto.
    Montreal was absolutely beautiful. I've been twice and both times had the best time. I highly recommend Montreal to anyone. It won't disappoint.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I think there are some aspects about Vancouver that make it a wonderful city (even world class), but it's not terribly environmentally friendly... what with dumping raw sewage into the Georgia Strait. It also has a very large homeless population that centers (or centres) around the downtown.

Seattle and Portland are great cities (I've resided in both), but I wouldn't say they are world class (yet).

I would add San Diego to the list of possibilities under "debatable". To add to the list of Canadian cities, I would also consider Calgary to be an up-and-comer, especially with its increasingly international appeal. Although it still has a cowtown image, it is the closest thing we have in the prairies to a world class city.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 53
    Last post: 13 Jul 2015, 10:42 AM
  2. World Cities
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 24 May 2005, 10:31 AM
  3. Replies: 42
    Last post: 03 Mar 2004, 6:24 PM
  4. World cities queue up to charge
    Transportation Planning