Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Should I write an Honors Thesis?

Registered
    Oct 2003

Should I write an Honors Thesis?

If I might not be graduating with honors?

So my overall GPA has been bad for a while now due to my first year of college, so I DEFFINATELY won't be graduating with University Honors, but my DEPARTMENTAL GPA is close enough and counted on few enough classes, that I might be able to reach the 3.5 mark. Right now my departmental GPA is a 3.0 counted on only 9 hours! (The great thing is that I'm a Geography Major with an emphasis on Urban and Regional Analysis, but also an Architecture Minor, so if I do poorly in a good number of the classes I take, I can tell the advisor to count that class towards my minor and not my major!)

I know that it would be a good learning experience for me, and the two "classes" that I sign up for would give me 6 hours of guaranteed A's, but I am wondering if it is worth all of the extra work that I will be doing. Really the reason I signed up for the class is because I am also taking Spatial Analysis this semester which includes a pretty big project. My advisor said that most people who take the class do the thesis as well because they can use the research that they have already done for the subject of their writings.

Grr...I hate that I was an Aerospace Engineering student for my first year of college......I had a 1.7 GPA after my first semester and have slowly built it up to a 2.6n

Anyway, any have any thoughts on what I should consider doing and has anyone else done a project such as this?

Adam
    Last edited by FueledByRamen; 12 Jan 2004 at 1:24 PM.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Most grad schools and decent emplorers will look at last couple of years more than the overall GPA. I was in your boat with a lousy first 2 years, but was accepted to every grad school where I applied.

Can't give advice on the paper, but I personally would not do it.

Registered
    Apr 2002
    If you think you want to spend more time in academia, then do the thesis. But, if you'd rather just get out into the workforce, why waste your time?

Registered
    Nov 2003
    I agree with Green, don't sweat it. I have 3 more semesters to go before I graduate, Fall semester was a tough one for me, my gpa is down to a 2.77. I had all A's and B's, except for a big fat D. Yeah, I'm bummed out, but I'm not going to go nuts over it, I have 3 more semesters to repair my gpa from that D.

Sorry to have gone off on that tangent! My point is it isn't mandatory don't overdo it for yourself.

np-f

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Well, I AM planning on going directly to grad school after I graduate. Really, I basically get a free three hours worth of A's each semester if I do this, as I do not think (at least for the first semester) that my progress is reflected in the grade that I get.

Also, If I have to do the work in my spatial analysis class, which would take care of all my research....and I then have the summer and next semester to write a 30-40 page paper that would be published and held in UT's Libraries...which is a massive library system, by the way, why shouldnt I do it?

This semester I am also taking "Fundamentals of Community and Regional Planning" which contains a susbstantial writing component, which would give me good practice in my writing skills. I just want to make myself as desirable to grad schools as I can...I wouldnt be happy with your typical "right out of school" sallary for a Geography student. I grew up with my dad being a pastor and my mom a teacher and now a secretary...Its not like I think I can get rich doing this stuff (unless I somehow got into economic development) but I would like a bit more financial security

Registered
    Apr 2002
    Originally posted by FueledByRamen
    Well, I AM planning on going directly to grad school after I graduate. Really, I basically get a free three hours worth of A's each semester if I do this, as I do not think (at least for the first semester) that my progress is reflected in the grade that I get.

Also, If I have to do the work in my spatial analysis class, which would take care of all my research....and I then have the summer and next semester to write a 30-40 page paper that would be published and held in UT's Libraries...which is a massive library system, by the way, why shouldnt I do it?

This semester I am also taking "Fundamentals of Community and Regional Planning" which contains a susbstantial writing component, which would give me good practice in my writing skills. I just want to make myself as desirable to grad schools as I can...I wouldnt be happy with your typical "right out of school" sallary for a Geography student. I grew up with my dad being a pastor and my mom a teacher and now a secretary...Its not like I think I can get rich doing this stuff (unless I somehow got into economic development) but I would like a bit more financial security
    You sound like you answered your own question... do the thesis then. 30-40 pages isn't that substantial and you're right, you would then have a good paper to use for grad school admissions. It's also nice to have a good paper in your back pocket in case you decide someday to apply for a fellowship or special scholarship. Plus, it could give you a leg up on other people if you want a graduate assistantship at your grad school.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Writing a good paper never hurts, and will be good experience for grad school. I often thought I learned more through the papers I wrote than I did in class.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    IMHO -
    of equal value is an internship - when you are involved in the process of producing a community plan.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 27 Nov 2007, 11:38 AM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 29 Jul 2006, 1:40 PM
  3. Posting Honors [Temp 2]
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 15
    Last post: 28 Jan 2005, 9:14 PM