Urban planning community

Poll results: Do planners know about hockey?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Who is this Lord Stanley and his cup.

6 22.22%
  • Maybe I know what is off-sides is.

4 14.81%
  • I know who The Great One is.

7 25.93%
  • Only the Original Six are important.

10 37.04%
+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: hockey

hockey

Say Tranplanner what happened to the Leafs, OT penalty shot? Certainly the Oz Hole isn't that great, and the Leafs should win the series. What's up with Mats or is it Matts Sundin.

How many planners like hockey or even know anything about it? This is the greatest time of the year. Play-offs late into the night, heck the Wings game went three hours later than Planning Commission last night. Before ESPN it was CBC and two games a night.

What has Grapes being saying about the Wings?

Around Deetroyit (Detroit) and Chicago I know a few planners who have been skating for 20 - 30 years or more.

The Sparse Grey Hackle is Mark F. Miller at home, Planning Director for Troy, Michigan. First post, but I've enjoyed the forum for some time. Thanks to those people who work on the forum.

Oh, Tranplanner, I have no idea where the Pistons came from. They shouldn't be good but they are.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Of all the organized sports, hockey is my favorite - although I don't really understand the rules, I have fond memories of drunkenly cheering on the Geneseo Hockey Team in college and viciously harrassing the opposing team's players in the penalty box with the rest of the mob. I even have my own pair of hockey skates, but that is only because the toe pick on figure skates trips me up. Boys size 4 1/2.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Sigh...

It wasn't an OT penalty shot, but it might as well have been. After the drubbing the Leafs took Tuesday night, they definitely looked better last night - until the third period. As for Mats - nobody knows for sure, but they think it's his hand/wrist/arm... I still think the Leafs will come through this series, but it'll probably go to seven games.

Because of the sheer number of games on (hockey and basketball) I haven't been watching any intermissions, so no Grapes. I expect he's been saying that they're in tough, but those veterans will pull it together - and they seem to be now.

As for the Raps - the one team I didn't want them to play first round, and they get'em. Call it the curse of Isiah, but they never do well against the Pistons. Stackhouse killed them last night. Looks like my sig will be getting a little shorter soon.

I play hockey once a week right now - I think there's a thing about Canadian Planners and pick-up hockey. The two just seem to go together...

Tranplanner is suffering from a serious lack of sleep these days. And my playoff beard is really starting to itch

Registered
    Dec 2001

Puck bunny here-

I love hockey! Actually, my boyfriend plays and I've really learned alot about it. It's so much fun to watch! He explains what I don't understand because we actually film the games and then the guys can watch what happened and see what they need to improve. I think in my office there are about 15 hockey nuts, and few even have season tickets to the Stars (okay, yeah, they sucks now). Every morning there is hockey talk for the 15 minutes of work, it's great!

Oh, and if you really want something Canadian, curling is starting up in Duncanville! Woo Hoo, drunken party!!!
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Tex, are you sure you're not dating a Canadian?

Filming games sounds pretty serious - are they playing competitively or something? I think I'd be mightily embarassed to see game tapes of me in action.

Who'd have thought that Texas would become a hotbed of Canadian sports...this is a warning for the rest of you down there:

RESISTANCE IS FUTILE...YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED!!!!

Can donuts, toques, and poutine be far behind?

Registered
    Dec 2001

Well...

They are in "I" league, which means they're "learning", but they do play games and they are competitive. They love the game, it's addicitive! If I ever have kids I'm going to get them on skates before they can walk and let (read "make") them play amoeba hockey.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Texas - I totally wanted to have little hockey kids (when we do have kids) too! But then I went to the hockey store to get skates and almost had a heart attack when I saw how expensive all the equipment was. No wonder soccer is so popular in third world nations.

Registered
    Aug 2001

Hockey? Never watch it

Pucking dangerous game there. Two things I don't do. GO under a big top tent where very large and lethal animals are on display and Spectate a sport with projectiles hurling into the stands. like upclose car racing and hockey.

And the culture of hockey was absent from my childhood. I'm sure life would've been different if there was hockey in my blood. I think there are hockey teams in Florida these days of course

...and so then again the hockey player physique is much admired

It was roller skates for me when growing up.

Registered
    Dec 2001

$$

Yeah, it's expensive, but I figure the least a life of growing up playing hockey in the States (since so few are from the States)will get a free ride to a University.
    Aren't those little skates cute though? I refuse to have a goalie though, the pads are twice as much (for good reason, protect the tarts) and with how kids grow.. I figure if I stay with my current boyfriend and we have children we're going to have giants anyway. He's 6'7 and I'm 5'11.. we're going to have little Hatchers everywhere!!

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    I'm still a ways a way from having kids, so I'm taking out my hockey parent fantasies on my niece, who just turned 3. I expect no less than Olympic Gold from her!

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996

Damn Habs

I'm a life-long Bruins fan...and am tearing my hair out over the way the B's completely folded up in Montreal the other night. Of all the teams to do this aginst...why the !@#$ing Habs???

So much for the #1 seed meaning anything.

I'll also admit to the Great White North having better hockey coverage than we do in the states...I get my online fixes at http://www.canoe.ca/slam/
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997

Well, at least we can agree on one thing...

Tranplanner hates the Habs too - though Montreal itself is a beautiful City.

Registered
    Apr 1996

Re: Well, at least we can agree on one thing...

Tranplanner wrote:
    Tranplanner hates the Habs too - though Montreal itself is a beautiful City.
    No question about it, Montreal is high on my list of places I want to visit....but I'll never root for the Habs...they rank up there on my list of "hated" teams right up there with the Yankees and Lakers.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'm a huge hockey fan... grew up watching the Kings in L.A., and have since been transplanted to Edmonton. Despite the disappointment of not making the post season, the buzz of living in an actual hockey town in late-March and early-April was pretty exhilarating.

I am a diehard Leafs fan though, so I am on pins and needles to see how this series with the Isles turns out.

It's good to see other hockey fans out there!

Deb

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I dont "get" hocky

My date last night *does the happy dance* has season passes to see the Caps play and he was going on and on about the sport.

To me its just paying folks to beat the hell out of each other with sticks. Seems to attract red necks and drunk old men. Not some where I want to be.

D
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Well call me a redneck and pass me a beer then 'cuz it's

HOCKEY NIGHT IN CANADA TONIGHT BABY!!!!!

DAH dah dah dah dah DAH dah dah dah dah...

sniff...I am hurt PlannerGirl. Don't you know that Hockey is ballet on ice?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2002
    I'm out sick two days and almost miss the hockey thread.

Let's go Rangers! Oh, that's right, they are playing golf now. Ranger fan from long ago, the days of Espo, and JD, and pause for effect: Ron Dougay.

Hockey playoffs are the best among all pro sports. Intensity is unbelievable.

Potvin Sucks!

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Sorry guys no hocky for me im going to the Washington symphony tonight, box seats!

No beer for me thanks. But im willing to try hocky one night.

D
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Hand me another Moosehead. The Sharks are playing the Colorado Nordiques.

Thanks hockey fans. I don't always have time at work to check out Cyburbia, and I'm glad there is a response. Say Plannergirl there is a certain raw beauty to hockey. Just because a person enjoys hockey and has a few scares doesn't mean they're an ignorant fool. The greatest hockey players are the most thoughtful humans you could ever meet. But, they could be mean on the ice if needed. Oh, the fights, there just part of the show. Yes, it's a tough game, but as ESPN says, its the greatest game on the earth.

My daughter, 13 years old, straight A student, was on a team that was 3rd in the States last year. She spends about 10 weekends a year in the greater Toronto region getting beat up by Canadian girls. Those darn Canadian refs never give us fair shot, at least we think so. Her goal is to go to school out east, play college hockey and become an attorney.

What about hockey scags. Every team needs one. The Wings never have one. My favourite (for our Canadian friends) is Mike Reechi or Daris Kasperitus (sp). Nothing like a long haired scag, missing a few teeth to mix it up a bit. I think Daris cut his hair since going to the Aves.

Hockey gets in your blood. Next thing you have two daughters and a son playing. Then you never go on vacation because of cash flow. Except if you consider going to tournaments all over the continent as a vacation.

I always pick an underdog, usually Edmonton, but this year it's the Leafs. Heck they're on TV every Saturday. So it's the Leafs and Wings in the Finals. Yes, an original six match up.

Got to go, the Sharks are surprising the Aves. Poor Pat Roy.

     
    Registered
    Apr 2002

sabres

What happened to my poor Sabres? Alas they are gone, and I blame it all on Bob Corkum. Bob Corkum. In other news maybe the Bills will win the Super Bowl and Buffalo can have a winner for once in its life.

I'm not asking for much, am I?

Registered
    Oct 2001

&%$#@*& Flyers...

Signs that should have been hung in the arena:

Boy, 55 million sure doesn't buy what it used to....

John LeClair is now known as "John LeCapone".

Wow, for I could have scored no goals in three games for a LOT less!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What the hell are they doing playing hockey in Carolina anyways?!

Time to polish up the golf clubs...sigh.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2002
    Nice run for the leafs. Be proud. My Rangers have been playing golf for almost two months already.

No problem with the Hurricanes...I am also an old Whaler fan from days gone by.

Registered
    Apr 1996
    Tranplanner wrote:

Time to polish up the golf clubs...sigh.
    Hey...at least you've had hockey up until now....my Bruins have been gone for a while now, and unfortunately, I haven't been able to make myself watch any of the other series since the damn Habs beat the B's....

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Tranplanner wrote:

Resolved: professional hockey shall not be played anyplace where palm trees can possibly grow. All existing NHL teams located in such an area, or otherwise located in an area where the dominant accent is "Southern," shall relocate to a suitable market north of the area, or disband.

Hamilton, Quebec City, Regina, and Moose Jaw ... the NHL is coming! GO HALIFAX MIGHTY DUCKS! VIVA LE SHERBROOKE COYOTES!
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Do/Did You Play Hockey?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 35
    Last post: 15 Jul 2008, 8:35 PM
  2. Replies: 18
    Last post: 09 Nov 2005, 6:30 PM
  3. Hockey
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 36