Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Info on BIDs?

Registered
    Jan 2003

Info on BIDs?

I've suggested to some city officials that a neighborhood of Asian businesses (mostly Vietnamese) be designated a business improvement district. I recommended we start a Little Saigon Development Corporation to help administer it. Does anybody know of any good guides of how BIDs are organized?

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Get the stakeholders to suggest it rather than staff. Great idea, but it has to be from that ethnic group to work.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Gurnee is right. Neighborhood meetings that are initiated by one of the community-active citizens, but which have tech staff available to answer questions, is the best way to get it started.

There is a guy in Madison named Dave Rotter that used to work in Milwaukee, and he was a founding guru of their Historic MLK Drive BID District. He's kind of out of the business but he works here .

Maybe he can be a resource for you.

Registered
    Jan 2003

Yes

Thanks, guys. I agree totally that the Asian business community needs to get behind this. I'll have have to sell the concept to them and be a conduit for communication. The planning department had already commissioned a plan for it and is conducting meetings to move it forward. I have yet to see the plan, but I think my goals for district are more ambitious than what they have in mind (no BID, just streetscape improvements). I don't think the Asian community has been as involved as it could be, and I'm hoping I can convince them to actively pursue the BID.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    egislation varies between states, but most require that the BID be approved by a majority of the property owners in the proposed district (since it is a levy on property). Just in case ownership may be different from tenancy, be sure you are talking to the landlords as well. Chuck Law, at the Local Government Center in the University of Wisconsin - Extension, is the go-to guy on BIDs. Go ahead and PM me to remind me to send you his phone number when I get back to the office.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 08 May 2008, 1:48 PM
  2. Any info on the MUP at UW?
    Student Commons
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 04 Jul 2006, 1:21 PM
  3. GIS info
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 1