Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Louisiana Planner Salaries

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Ok, I'm sold... (of course, I don't really have a choice but still love the place!) My husband has accepted a job in New Orleans so I'm searching for a planning job there now. I've searched APA, govtjobs, and some of the parish websites - are there any other links/leads I'm missing, or are there really no planning jobs available right now?!? I'd appreciate any help you can give - thanks!!!

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Welcome back to New Orleans. Local planning jobs are rarely listed on the national websites, probably because the salaries are embarrassingly low. The best thing to do is contact the planning and/or civil service departments directly. If you want a job in the private sector, you'll have to be more "creative" in your approach to any of the local firms.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Originally posted by Planderella
    Local planning jobs are rarely listed on the national websites, probably because the salaries are embarrassingly low.
    Why is that? I don't imagine that the cost of living in Louisiana would be any lower than ... oh,, Missouri or Indiana. Still, though, some states are known for embarassingly low planner salaries. Pennsylvania is infamous, as is West Virginia. Pennsylvania isn't exactly a poverty-stricken low-tax state, either.

Here's what Baton Rouge has advertised online.

PLANNER I
    Salary Range: $22,442 (step 1) - $31,067 (step 12) annually
    Qualifications: Bachelorís degree.

PLANNER II
    Salary Range: $24,727 (step 1) - $34,228 (step 12) annually
    Qualifications: Bachelor's degree in urban planning, regional planning or a related field.

PLANNER III
    Salary Range: $28,578 (step 1) - $39,561 (step 12) annually
    Qualifications: Master's degree in urban planning, regional planning or a related field.

PLANNER IV
    Salary Range: $33,036 (step 1) - $45,730 (step 12) annually
    Qualifications: Master's degree in urban planning, regional planning, or a related field, and considerable (2 years) professional level planning experience, including supervisory experience (1 year).
    Let's compare that to the engineering jobs.

Engineer-In-Training
    Starting salary $37,184 to $41,849 per year DOQ
    Qualifications: Bachelorís degree in Civil or Environmental Engineering, Louisiana State Board of Registration for Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors Certification as an Engineering Intern.

Senior Engineer-In-Training
    Starting salary $40,964 to $46,106 per year DOQ
    Qualifications: Bachelorís degree in Civil or Environmental Engineering, Louisiana State Board of Registration for Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors Certification as an Engineering Intern, and 2 years experience as an Engineering Intern.

Professional Engineer I
    Starting salary $45,149 to $50,816 per year DOQ
    Qualifications: Bachelorís degree in Civil or Environmental Engineering, Professional Engineering License as issued by the Louisiana State Board of Registration for Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors.

Professional Engineer II
    Starting salary $49,762 to $56,008 per year DOQ
    Qualifications: Bachelorís degree in Civil or Environmental Engineering, Professional Engineering License as issued by the Louisiana State Board of Registration for Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors, and 2 years post license experience as a professional engineer.

Professional Engineer III
    Starting salary $54,830 to $61,710 per year DOQ
    Qualifications: Bachelorís degree in Civil or Environmental Engineering, Professional Engineering License as issued by the Louisiana State Board of Registration for Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors, 4 years post license experience as a professional engineer, including supervisory experience.

Professional Engineer IV
    Starting salary $60,425 to $68,010 per year DOQ
    Qualifications: Bachelorís degree in Civil or Environmental Engineering, Professional Engineering License as issued by the Louisiana State Board of Registration for Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors, 6 years post license experience as a professional engineer, including supervisory experience.
    The city considers the planning positions "classifications for which there are positions currently available and for which there is an urgent need." I can see why.

Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Jul 2002
    As if we weren't depressed enough about the salary ranges here in south east Louisiana!

Well, I don't think planners have reached the same level of recognition as architects and engineers. We're still the step-children in our allied profession. An engineer (or architect, for that matter) never has to elaborate beyond "I'm an engineer, by profession". I forget the countless blank looks I've received to my "I'm a planner" answer!

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Bump. Moved from Louisiana APA Forum.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Greetings from Louisiana!
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 10 Feb 2012, 8:31 PM
  2. Louisiana APA Web site down
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 16 Feb 2011, 3:58 PM
  3. Greetings from Louisiana
    Introduce Yourself