Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: On-line Purchases

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Besides the games for the step-son Elmo mentioned, I have also purchased electronic gift certificates for Chapters (bookstore) or Amazon... can't remember which one for my dad and stepdaughter. Also, we bought our satellite receiver online recently. Oh yeah... and booked a rental car. I also bought a subscription to a magazine online... I love shopping online.

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Quote Originally posted by nerudite
    I have a few of those at home... just love old cameras!

I have a small collection, mostly Brownies. It is a great hobby, I think the most I paid was $30 for one. The one in the pic was $1.99 plus shipping
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Aug 2001
    A while back I bought a 1961 Volkswagen Kharmann Ghia coupe on eBay, and had to drive from Miwlaukee to Newport News VA to pick her up and trailer her back.

Lately, just a few parts for my truck, and Turbotax...

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by giff57
    I have a small collection, mostly Brownies. It is a great hobby, I think the most I paid was $30 for one. The one in the pic was $1.99 plus shipping
    I only have about 15 or so cameras (that I know of). My mom has picked up several at estate sales, garage sales, auctions, etc. and I really don't know how many she has in storage for me. I mostly have brownies and crazy out-of-date polaroids.

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Quote Originally posted by nerudite
    I only have about 15 or so cameras (that I know of). My mom has picked up several at estate sales, garage sales, auctions, etc. and I really don't know how many she has in storage for me. I mostly have brownies and crazy out-of-date polaroids.
    That is about what I have. I had to swear off of ebay for a while when three arrived one day. The wife was ready to sign me up at ebay anon.

I want one of these, but they are a little pricey

“As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I haven't purchased anything online lately, but I have purchased shoes in the past.
    A person who strives is one who thrives. It's GREAT to be THE KING!!!

Registered
    May 2003

Buy Globally; Think Locally

Most of my acquisitions are no-brainers...travel, hotels, etc....but have a bit of a problem when it gets around to spending my modest $$ with somebody's server rather than supporting some well deserving local merchant.

For example, in Denver we've got a great local bookstore, The Tattered Cover...a legendary
    institurion. I know it's easier to dial up Amazon but I always do my holiday purchasing @ the Tattered.

Anyone else face the same dilemma?

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Oh goody! Giff and Nerudite, maybe you can help me with something. After my divorce, I discovered the ex- had left behind all his family movies and an old camera of his parents'. I gave the movies to his sister but still have the camera. If I can get you some info on the camera, could you impart any knowlege you might have about $$ value, whatever?

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Miles Ignatius
    Most of my acquisitions are no-brainers...travel, hotels, etc....but have a bit of a problem when it gets around to spending my modest $$ with somebody's server rather than supporting some well deserving local merchant.

For example, in Denver we've got a great local bookstore, The Tattered Cover...a legendary
    institurion. I know it's easier to dial up Amazon but I always do my holiday purchasing @ the Tattered.

This is one of my biggest dilemmas. I prefer to shop at O/O small local businesses whenever I can, but sometimes it is not possible or feasible.

I'll provide an example, there is a book I really want available right now, so I went to the local book store to order it 3 weeks ago. if I'd ordered it on line I'd already have. But having a local bookstore is more important than the book right now. That being said, they only have until tomorrow to tell me when it is coming or I am going on line to get it as I don't want to miss out on it as I have in the past.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    Oh goody! Giff and Nerudite, maybe you can help me with something. After my divorce, I discovered the ex- had left behind all his family movies and an old camera of his parents'. I gave the movies to his sister but still have the camera. If I can get you some info on the camera, could you impart any knowlege you might have about $$ value, whatever?
    Perhaps, let me know what it is. Most are not worth much, which is why I started collecting the really old ones.
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Quote Originally posted by Miles Ignatius

Yes, I do my best to buy locally even if the price is slightly higher. I even frequent mom and pop grocery stores, downtown drug stores and local clothiers. I might pay a little more, but at least I'm not a hypocrit. If I'm going to preach downtown revitalization, I'd getter damn well live, work and shop downtown. Lead by example, your conscience will thank you for it.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Books, CD's, Bike parts, you name it. I've been buying stuff online for a few years now with no real threats to fraud. I feel pretty comfortable shopping that way.
    You're more boring than you know.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    When it comes to special orders: I'll usually buy from a local bookstore (around here, it's Joseph-Beth, which is really based in Kentucky) if the book is in stock, but for special orders, I'll go online. Amazon will have a book to me in a few days, while it takes a couple of weeks for a special order to be delivered to the bookstore.

I don't think you can get APA Press books through Amazon ... or can you?
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

     
    Registered
    Jan 2004
    In rebellion against the buyback policy of the bookstore on campus I was able to buy the majority of my textbooks off of amazon. One question though, all of my professors swear that we should all keep our textbooks, because someday we will use them at our jobs, truth or myth?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I just bought a new bookcase for my office online at staples. Gotta love free delivery... no trudging around in the snow!

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Big Easy King
    I haven't purchased anything online lately, but I have purchased shoes in the past.
    How do you purchase shoes on line?

I have to try them on, even if I know the size I want. I'll even try 2-3 pairs of the same sized shoe on to see which shoes feel better (mostly with good dress shoes).

I'd like to try it, but am scared I won't like the way the shoes fit or the style in real life.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by RockChalk
    One question though, all of my professors swear that we should all keep our textbooks, because someday we will use them at our jobs, truth or myth?
    With the internet that's probably less and less true. But I'd definitely keep the very factual books dealing with statistics, research methods etc.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    In rebellion against the buyback policy of the bookstore on campus I was able to buy the majority of my textbooks off of amazon. One question though, all of my professors swear that we should all keep our textbooks, because someday we will use them at our jobs, truth or myth?
    Keep textbooks? Mostly, no. I did keep Tacitus, Livy, Rousseau, Locke, and a number of original works. I also kept my statistics texts and one or two of the better planning books (mostly technical or legal). I hardly ever reference these, though. Seabishop is correct, the Internet makes a lot of it unnecessary. Your empployer will likely have a library of its own with this material, too.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Feb 2000
    One question though, all of my professors swear that we should all keep our textbooks, because someday we will use them at our jobs, truth or myth?
    I kept all of mine and use them from time to time to cite information in my staff reports and special research papers. Yes, keep them would be my advice.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Inspired partly by this thread, I just made my first on-line book purchase. For some stupid reason, William Slim's "Defeat In To Victory" is not available at any Chapters/Indigo store, but is available from them on-line. Sorry Dan - I went with Chapters 'cause I have a discount card with them. Do you know if Amazon.ca purchases would support Cyburbia?

Previously, I have used the internet to book car rentals (in the UK), and buy concert tickets. I'm going to look into using it to buy hobby supplies as well once the basement is renovated.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    I purchased some Christmas presents on-line (L.L. Bean merchandise, a needlepoint kit for my mother-in-law) but the only item I've bought recently is postage stamps. I never seem to have time to get to the post office, or the local post office has nothing but boring ol' flag stamps, so for $1 postage, I can get those interesting nature or history stamps.

I use Amazon a lot to look up various books. Then I e-mail our local independent bookstore and order books from them, if they're not already in stock.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    OT
    Part myth
    I have not touched many of those books in 10 yrs
    - some even have been recycled already.

Only one still used is Kevin Lynch's Site Design - a true classic.
    Kept the you know "The Green Book" - another classic.
    I have acquired new books that are more job related.
    Last edited by JNA; 22 Jan 2004 at 3:00 PM.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 10 Apr 2012, 12:41 PM
  2. CNN on line 2
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 20 May 2010, 11:29 PM
  3. Replies: 90
    Last post: 24 Apr 2006, 4:15 PM