Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: !@#$ politics & comprehensive planning

Registered
    Nov 2002

!@#$ politics & comprehensive planning

From yesterday's local paper: The City council is now seeking proposals that address the city’s existing community development programs, the housing program and the public facility and economic programs. Interested consultants will also have to provide an analysis of the city’s problems, needs and long-term goals.
    What the article failed to mention is that this City just adopted a comprehensive plan a little over a month ago that provides the analysis asked for in the RFP.

This is what happens when a plan is adopted at the end of one Mayor's term, and the new Mayor did not participate in creating the comprehensive plan.
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Well, that should make the work for the consultants much easier. They just get a copy of the Comp. Plan and reuse the analysis. :-P
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Feb 2003
    That is interesting, depressing and not surprising.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Well, how GOOD was that comprehensive plan at analyzing the city's long-term needs, etc.?

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Given the process used, the expertise involved, the composition of the steering committee that oversaw the process, and the level of public participation - I'd have to say the analysis and policies in the plan were very good.

Admission of bias: I was on the steering committee.

Your first post made me wonder if the community was starting their Consolidated Planning process (specifically housing, public facilities, and economic opportunity) as a requirement for CDBG funding from HUD. The two planning processes are similar but not identical, and regardless of the vintage of Comp Plan, the Cons Plan (one-year action plan) must be done annually.

Having written our Comp Plan and the last eight Cons Plans, I can tell you that I would not ever consider re-inventing the wheel. If the data are good, I'm reusing them.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Aug 2002
    I'd have to agree with you on the Consolidated Plans, which are required for CDBG Entitlement communities. Some of the data for them is Census-based and not updated more than every 10 years.

SGB, why isn't the company that did the plan being hired as the city's community development consultant? Seems odd. I would think it would be more cost-effective to go with a consultant that already knows the city.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess
    SGB, why isn't the company that did the plan being hired as the city's community development consultant? Seems odd. I would think it would be more cost-effective to go with a consultant that already knows the city.
    There's a new Mayor who had no involvement in the comp plan revision process. He attended one presenation by the consultant at a public hearing. Who knows - maybe he was unimpressed......

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally posted by SGB
    There's a new Mayor who had no involvement in the comp plan revision process. He attended one presenation by the consultant at a public hearing. Who knows - maybe he was unimpressed......

-No offense SGB, but if I was the newly elected mayor I would probally do the same (I guess its out of spite for the former). But I could understand why you would feel that way from the planning position. Once again its all based on politics.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Was the rest of Council tossed also? We had a dominantly new council come in, with many who hated planning, but were able to keep the existing plan.

Scared and counting the days until May (our next election).
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 9
    Last post: 02 Jun 2011, 11:19 AM
  2. Transitioning from planning to politics?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 20 Aug 2009, 1:58 PM
  3. Planning and National Politics
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 17 Apr 2004, 2:47 AM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last post: 27 Oct 2001, 12:19 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last post: 27 Oct 1999, 10:07 AM