Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Career Guidance for Newbie

Registered
    Jan 2004

Career Guidance for Newbie

Here's my situation: I'm interested in pursuing a career in Urban Planning. I graduated with a journalism major/politics minor from a good NYC school in 2001 and have been working in entertainment for the past few years.

I want to attend grad school here in NYC at Columbia, Hunter, NYU or Pratt and then get a job in New York. What chance do I have of getting into these schools with no urban planning experience or education? (I'm trying to find a job that would be better suited to my long term plans but it's tough)

It's frustrating; there's so much info out there about how to get into this career or that, but not very much on the field of urban planning...any favorite sources of career inspiration?

Thanks All...
    Last edited by nerudite; 05 Feb 2004 at 12:32 PM.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by TheRedandTheBlack
    I want to attend grad school here in NYC at Columbia, Hunter, NYU or Pratt and then get a job in New York.
    Get a job in the City, or in the State?

(You hit a "hot button" for an upstater who's north of Albany, and nowhere near the Hudson River valley.)
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Jan 2004

City

I'd like to work in the City...It's a really dynamic time here right now. Either for City Gov't or private firm...non-profit a distant third...

Registered
    Feb 2002
    I got into Penn with a BA in English and not a whole lot of work experience. If you can communicate your passion/reason for wanting to do planning and have good grades/scores you won't have a problem. Columbia is excellent, but I hear it is a little more academic. NYU doesnt really have a proper planning program, its seems more public policy less nuts and bolts planning.

Registered
    Jan 2004

Thanks

Thanks for your reply...but was your small amount of work experience relevant to planning at all? NYU's program is kind of heavy on the policy side, it seems. But this might be useful in getting a job with the city. It looks like other planning programs are a tad light on the subject (it's always helpful to have exposure to public finance, non-profit management, etc.)

Do you think that might be useful?

Also: I've heard that Columbia is very academically-oriented, better for those who plan to teach. Has anyone heard anything else about these programs? Hunter included...

Thanks

     
    Registered
    Jan 2004
    I got into University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) right after I graduated with my bachelor's in Political Science with no work experience at all. UIC's program seems to be more policy oriented as well as opposed to just the usual physical planning, which is good if you want to work for a municipal government or work for an organization in a very large city like Chicago or New York City. TheRedandTheBlack, are you a NYC native? I want to go into planning becuase I am a native Chicagoan and am passionate about serving my city as a planner/policy maker.

Registered
    Jan 2004
    I am an NYC native and I'm getting into planning for the same reason: to influence what happens in my own city. I'm especially interested in housing/economic development, which is why I'm leaning toward a policy-oriented program like NYU's or maybe Hunter.

     
    Registered
    Jan 2004
    Good for you, I think a policy oriented program is the best way to go becuase it opens you up to a wide variety of opportunities.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Career Guidance
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 27 May 2013, 9:06 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 29 Aug 2012, 9:07 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 29 Dec 2011, 9:03 PM
  4. Career guidance needed
    Career Development and Advice