Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Traffic Impacts

Registered
    Jan 2004

Traffic Impacts

I am trying to develop "citizen" friendly vocablulary for describing traffic impacts. A finding of "no significant" impact is inflamatory to existing neighbors. I am working with a county planning commission for whom traffic impact studies are new. They are beginning to understand Level of Service and capacity. Does anyone have language they use that works or suggestions of language to stay away from?

Registered
    Dec 2003
    "Traffic calming", "Pedestrian friendly" is good when trying to decrease the impact of the auto on an existing roadway. Personally, I like these round-abouts they've been restoring around here.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I disagree with the Tuna. Do not use planning buzzwords. Instead, use ordinary language to describe the situations. Talk about "bumper-to-bumper traffic" or "dangerous intersections." Use illustrations. I recently sent one to a board showing three alternative configurations for an intersection of three roads; the original, one proposed, and an alternative. I highlighted the number of stops each would require, and referred to angles as "having to look back over your shoulder to see if any traffic is coming." In other words, I used everyday language to describe the situation. Most of the board would have known what I meant if I used planning jargon, but they appreciated the explanation they could more easily grasp, as did the public. They also agreed with the staff recommendation.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Feb 1998
    I, too, would shy away from buzz words--or at least introduce them slowly. For the opposite of "pedestrian friendly", I often say: "Imagine walking up to this intersection with a baby stroller." Takes a while, but they remember the image.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Economic impacts of streetscaping?
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 18 Feb 2011, 3:29 PM
  2. Uses Amphitheatres and their impacts
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 24 Nov 2010, 5:19 PM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last post: 14 Jul 2004, 3:32 PM