Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: What programs are on your computer?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

What programs are on your computer?

Being that I am looking at getting a new personal laptop for home use, I am wondering what programs would I like to get for it. I thought maybe get a GIS viewer, Photo Shop, and Office XP Pro. But then I wondered about what other planners had on their home computers, *or would like to have.

What programs would you put on your personal computer?
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Let me be the first to say:
    • Firewall
    • AntiVirus
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    at home: just the basics that come with most out of the box PC

at work: Win2000, GIMP, MSoffice, Exporler, but alas must go to a community computer to access Photoshop, on one, and Acrview on another.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by SGB
    Let me be the first to say:
    • Firewall
    • AntiVirus
    let me be second to say, there are excellent freeware versions of antivirus and firewall on the net. www.avast.com.

also i have photoshop 7.0, office xp, sim city 4, adaware (free, removes tracking software), spyware blaster (free, prevents tracking software), spybot (free, removes tracking software) the anti-tracking software removes cookies and other programs like GAIN, gator, comet curser, or other invasive software. trillian for instant messaging.

that's it
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Mostly kids games.

And a Hallmark card program for me.

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Quote Originally posted by boiker
    trillian for instant messaging.
    DITTO! Best IM software available. I love having all chat available in one window!!

Me:XP Pro, Powertoys XP, Firebird (Browser), Ad Aware, Norton Firewall and AV, Acrobat 6.0, Photoshop 7.0, Office 2000, Easy CD creator, I-Tunes, Winamp, ACDSee, Battlefield 1942, Uru, UT 2003.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    XP Pro, Office XP, Photoshop 7, Pagemaker 6.5, InDesign 2.0, iTunes, Iomega Hotburn, and Sim City 3000 Unlimited. Oh, yeah, and The Sims Deluxe. Used to have GeoMedia, but took it off. And Palm OS 2 for syncing. It's a pretty full little laptop, and I don't use all of that stuff all the time. And Norton Antivirus, that's a must, especially if you go wireless. Wireless without firewalls and antivirus killed the computer once (got a worm, had to have a new hard drive).
    I don't dream. I plan.

Registered
    Oct 2003
    A lot of stuff on my machine...but this is less than I used to have:

Xp Pro
    Office XP
    AIM
    WinAmp
    Kazaa
    SimCity 4
    Half Life (with Counter-Strike mod)
    Norton Firewall
    Symantic Anti Virus
    Acrobat 6.0
    Yahoo Popup blocker
    Linksys Wireless Manager
    Windows Media Player
    Quicktime
    Real One
    etc....

Honestly though...I only have programs that I use at least on a weekly, if not daily, basis.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    WinME
    Macromedia's Dreamweaver/Flash/Fireworks
    Microsoft Office with PowerPoint
    AOL IM
    Outlook Express
    ArcView
    The Sims
    SimCity 3000
    Star Trek: Away Team
    Camera/Scanner software (ArcSoft crap)
    Adobe Acrobat 4.0
    WS_FTP
    Palm and AvantGo (planetizen updates for those "down" times)
    Winamp
    Yahoo! Messenger
    PaintShop Pro
    Quicken
    Norton SystemWorks/Internet Utilities
    Turbo Tax (only until I get my $ back, then it goes away)

used to have the Adobe publishing suite but a reformat was the end of those days
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

Registered
    Jul 2003
    XP
    yahoo messenger and whatever I need to view the internet and get mail with our provider
    same for our old provider, whom we haven't yet ditched
    color cop
    tagchecker
    microsoft office
    Paint
    a zillion bookmarks
    Norton (of course)
    Quicken
    versacheck
    drivers for my scanner, my wide-format printer, and whatever other stuff I use
    ---
    before my hard drive died I had (some will go back on, some won't):
    acrobat
    Nero cd burner
    whatever software I needed for uploading pictures from my digital camera
    Simcity 3000 (Simcity 4 is on hubby's computer -- it is incompatible with my video driver)

3 different kinds of astrology software, two "amateur" and one professional. The professional one will go back on my computer when I find the #%*( code for it but the other stuff probably will not.

and probably other stuff that I am not remembering at the moment
    --
    what will go on at some point:
    Free GIS -- probably GRASS burned to a disc with gissix (a Linux -type thing, as I understand it). GRASS is not fully compatible with XP and I asked around and this is probably my best solution. I haven't gotten around to burning the disc yet.

I will probably also look into what to do about my e-mail situation: either buy more online storage or get a different program that can be backed up properly. Or both. I do a lot of stuff via e-mail, etc, and it kind of hurts when I lose a lot of e-mail. It isn't "tragic" yet, but when I have a full blown business, it will matter a whole lot more. I will also look over some freeware that can download e-mails to a rough data-base format.

I am sure I am overlooking something.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Forgetting about the small stuff, I have Microsoft XP Pro and Office XP Pro; Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, In-Design and Acrobat; Corel Draw and PhotoPaint, ArcView 3.1, and Sonic Foundry Video Factory
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    XP and XP Office PRO, AutoCAD 2004 Land and Civil; ArcMap 8.x, Adobe and Adobe Illustrator, VPN connection stuff to link ot work (god I love that), Kazaa, typical firewall and antivirus stuff, a funky little program that will play my office vioce mail thru my PC speaker at home when I log in, Civilization Call to Power (okay Im a CIV junkie), radio@netscape, MS Money, Turbo Taxes for tha past few years, and a few other games like Star Fleet Command (geek) and Star Fleet Orion Pirates (uber geek) Maybe I oughta stop there...

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Among the most used ....

XP
    Office 2000
    AutoCad 2000
    Smart FTP
    mkwAct
    FLAC Frontend
    Bit Torrent
    Polar Precision 4.0
    Exact Audio Copy
    Feurio

Registered
    May 2003
    At home, Debian GNU/Linux with (the just the most frequently used major applications) Mozilla, Gimp, emacs, xmms (sound system), xine (dvds), LaTeX (desktop publishing), ssh to connect to my server, and gaim (trillian is based this).

At work, Windows 2000 (best windows ever, imho), with Office, Corel, Mozilla Firebird (shhh ), groupwise (Novell version of outlook) and SPSS.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2003
    MSOffice2000, Adobe Acrobat 4.0, AIM, Adaptec Easy CD Creator. No programs that would be useful for planning (not much "use" to a student teacher), although GIS sounds interesting; I might give it a look in the summer, after other things are settled. My university actually had some sort of GIS training course or conference or something last summer. I used to have Norton Internet Security, until the frequent cutting off of my Internet access was traced back to it: I finally figured it out when it got to the point that I could connect when I turned Norton off/disabled Norton, and was immediately cut off when I enabled Norton. After this happened every time I tested it over multiple days, and the guy from Comcast checked my comp and confirmed it, I uninstalled it. He recommended grisoft and some other downloadable antivirus software, but they all turned out to be .zip files, and my track record of never, ever successfully downloading a zip program (like Winzip) held. I just downloaded, installed, and tested avast (thanks Boiker!) and it looks good.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. LED TV as a Computer Monitor
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 16 Feb 2011, 2:08 PM
  2. Replies: 21
    Last post: 13 Dec 2010, 10:12 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 13 Jan 2010, 11:03 AM
  4. computer upgrade
    Friday Afternoon Club