Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Drive-through standards

Registered
    Aug 2001

Drive-through standards

Our department is looking for examples of drive-through businesses or restaurants that are compatible in compact, pedestrian-oriented districts. We just adopted a mixed-use zoning ordinance that allows drive-throughs with a special exception. There seems to be some discussion as to whether all drive-throughs, no matter the design, should be allowed in these dense, urban areas. Any one out there have any good examples of drive-through businesses in denser areas, compatible with surrounding businesses/buildings? Thanks.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    A drive through compatible with pedestrians? I don't get to use the word 'oxymoron' often. Try this angle: Think of pedestrian ways as a hierarchy, then keep the curb cuts off of pedestrian arterial ways.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Mike:
    Thanks for the reply. I agree that trying to make drive-throughs compatible with pedestrians is a challenge. Unfortunately, we need to find a way to address it here, not only for new development but to encourage existing areas to go mixed-use, if possible. I know some cities have done a good job of encouraging compatible design in such areas. We're trying to find a way to incorporate them into these districts. The reality is that they're not going away any time soon.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    We are doing some work right now with respect to drive-thru standards - especially in pedestrian-oriented areas. A local citizen's group is currently fighting a proposed McDonald's drive-thru based on pedestrian safety and traffic issues (the restaurant currently exists, is on a very small lot - and wants to put a drive-thru in).

We have had some success in getting drive-thru designs to respect pedestrian needs, especially in older urban areas. I think the City is trying to restrict them more "urban" environs though...shaping up to be a bit of a fight.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. A drive-thru for this ? ? ? ?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 31 May 2009, 9:05 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 09 May 2009, 7:04 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last post: 23 Apr 2009, 12:44 PM
  4. Replies: 14
    Last post: 30 Dec 2004, 10:14 AM