Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: "Good" fast food design

Registered
    Apr 2004

"Good" fast food design

I am looking for examples of fast food franchises that have conformed with stringent design guidelines (or ANY design guidelines, for that matter!). I do hear of these anecdotally, but would love to compile a list of actual examples so I can parpade them out when I am told, "That's impossible - headquarters would never allow it"

Thanks very much!

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Main Street Maven
    .....so I can parpade them out .....
    Oops - I meant "parade" - should have proofread first...

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Main Street Maven
    Oops - I meant "parade" - should have proofread first...
    For future reference, there is an edit button so you can edit your messages.

And for examples... how about the turquoise arches in Sedona? That's always my favourite.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    NHPlanner has some fine examples in the gallery of a fast food restaurant reusing old structures and/or preserving community character.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    May 2003
    There are a lot of fast food resturants in standard storefronts in Chicago, especially downtown. I don't know if that qualifies for what you're looking for or not.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Check out the City of Davis, CA for a good example. Also, Danville, CA, Pleasanton, CA

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by BKM
    Check out the City of Davis, CA for a good example. Also, Danville, CA, Pleasanton, CA
    I don't remember having any successes in Davis with the fast food companies. I argued with stupid Jack in the Box forever about those neon tubes they put around their fascia band. Of course, Davis has since updated it's design guidelines, so maybe they have better examples now.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by nerudite
    I don't remember having any successes in Davis with the fast food companies. I argued with stupid Jack in the Box forever about those neon tubes they put around their fascia band. Of course, Davis has since updated it's design guidelines, so maybe they have better examples now.
    I just thought that the relatively new KFC on the south side was pretty nice: a brick faced building with some decent color and proportions.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Here are some from Jasper, AB. The first is a usually-ugly combo, KFC and A&W.

Here is the McDonalds. Where is the garish white building with red roof and yellow trim?

It couldn't be Canada without... Tim Hortons.

Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Feb 1998
    APA had a Planning Advisory Report on this issue...but it was too long for a normal person to read.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    From my gallery:

Freeport ME - McDonalds

Stowe, VT - McDonalds

Another view of the Freeport McDonalds

Londonderry, NH - McDonalds
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Moving at my own pace....... Planderella's avatar
    Registered
    Dec 1998
    I don't have any pictures, but Hilton Head, SC seems to have some pretty stringent design regulations on fast food and other commercial retail uses.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by BKM
    I just thought that the relatively new KFC on the south side was pretty nice: a brick faced building with some decent color and proportions.
    That sounds a lot nicer than what used to be approved when I was there... god, we had to fight to get deviations from corporate standards on a regular basis. It's good to see that their design guidelines are working!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal
    Here are some from Jasper, AB.
    Why didn't I think of that! I go there a couple times a year, and I totally forgot. Banff has some nice examples too.

Here's my favourite Chevron Station (Winthrop, WA)...

Registered
    May 2003
    If a franchise wants to be in a particular location, they will make any changes you ask for.

That being said, they are professionals at getting their signature buildings and signs. They know all the tricks and how to influence staff, commissions and councils.

The developers will look at your town and quickly assess whether they will win or lose on the "standard design." If you have exceedingly high design standards as shown by other buildings, they will be more ready to do non-standard design. That usually occurs in the wealthier communities.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 10 Jun 2011, 10:34 AM
  2. "Good" vs "bad" retail companies
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 39
    Last post: 14 Oct 2010, 8:26 PM
  3. What was "health food?"
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 28 Apr 2008, 8:36 AM