Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Scary, scary, scary drive to work

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Scary, scary, scary drive to work

Took me two and a half hours to drive to work today.

TWO AND A HALF HOURS.

Why? Because the path between my house and were I work was ground zero of this morning's non-stop snowfall, and there was no way around it. As usual, all the ODOT plows were on Cleveland's West Side. I live on the East Side, which usually gets twice the snowfall of the West Side. Every school is closed, every senior center is closed, job training programs are all closed, but LOCAL GOVERNMENT IS OPEN!

Because I-90 was literally a sheet of ice, I had about fifteen to twenty 90-degree spinouts along a half-mile stretch of road; we're talking about going from parallel with the lane to perpendicular. Along one stretch, it was creep forward, slide sideways, straighten out, slide sideways, straighten out, slide, straighten ... scary ****. "But you were driving too fast!", you might say. The speedometer was pegged while this happened - at the bottom. I was going about 3 or 4 MPH, if that. The car would have slid if it was standing still. The traction control light was on for much of the ride in.

Why didn't I get smacked in the side? A look in the rear view mirror would show that everyone else behind me was spinning out, too. An ice-coated surface, heavy banking, and NO FRIGGING PLOWS OR SALT add up to the most white-knuckle driving experience ever.

Seriously, I feel damn lucky that I didn't get into a bad, traffic-stopping accident on my way in.

Mother Nature, you stone-cold bitch. Bite me.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Wow, that bites!

Glad you made it in safely.

We got about a foot of snow yesterday through this morning, but my morning commute was only about 20% longer than usual.
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Next time don't bother. They shouldn't expect you to get killed to go to work during something like that. You tried and it was too dangerous. If you can call out because you have a tummy ache, you should be able to call out you're ready to crash every few feet. Just my opinion.

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Quote Originally posted by Dan

ahh, so the snow has reached Ohio. We got close to a foot Sunday through Monday. No ice though thankfully. Have the cold air from Alberta....thanks Nerudite! -30 windchill this morn.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Dec 2003
    What happened to the rugged nerves of steel you spoke of yesterday

-Got a foot yesterday, and about a foot this morning. 20 minutes to get to work once the damn bus showed up to take me to the train.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Seabishop
    Next time don't bother. They shouldn't expect you to get killed to go to work during something like that. You tried and it was too dangerous. If you can call out because you have a tummy ache, you should be able to call out you're ready to crash every few feet. Just my opinion.

I SECOND THAT

Here in Michigan we got between 10 and 12 inchs. I thought about calling in today but thougth I'd give it a shot. I figured if I got on the road and got freaked out I'd turn around.

But here I am, slackin away on cyburbia OPPS I mean working away.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Dan
    Took me two and a half hours to drive to work today.

TWO AND A HALF HOURS.

Wow, Dan. Tell us how you really feel?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Wow... that must have sucked... You should have called in, and told them that you would be more than happy to come in, if the Mayor himself came and got you.

I lived a half-hour from College my last year up there. There would be times that the road would be closed because of white out conditions and blowing and drifting snow, but Northern Michigan University would still be open. Oh to make thins worse, it was almost always too cold for salt to work. So I can feel for you. I have spun out more times than I would like to remember. I was just fortunate that there was so much snow, that the snow banks would prevent me from going into the ditch. Ahhh the joys of an Upper Peninsula Winter.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Michaelskis brings up an interesting thought. Out west there are gates on the freeway entrances, and if conditions are bad enough, the roads are closed. Why is it that we do not do this in the "east."
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    May 2003
    They occasionally close the interstates in downstate Illinois. I've seen it happen before. Usually they just put cops or moveable barracades on the onramps.

I imagine the expressways around Chicago are used enough that they don't have to do that.

Still, all the more reason to take the train.

Registered
    Nov 2003
    MS, Not Margaritaville, though we are building one
    WOW!!! That is crazy, glad you are safe though.

I couldn't imagine a 2.5 hour commute. Not to mention my car spinning sideways on the road. I keep thinking that I would like to move up north and enjoy some snowfall as I pursue a masters , but from the horror stories I keep hearing about winter up there, maybe I should reconsider. I haven't seen snow in almost 5 or 6 years, and I miss it. Not so much that I would go through that though.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by giff57
    ahh, so the snow has reached Ohio. We got close to a foot Sunday through Monday. No ice though thankfully. Have the cold air from Alberta....thanks Nerudite! -30 windchill this morn.
    LOL... not my fault! Our windchill is still worse than that, quit your whinin'

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Well, my morning commute yesterday was 2 hours, and we were getting snows also. Granted I wasn't slip, sliding away like Dan, though I was on the same interstate.

normally the commute is just a measly hour.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal
    Michaelskis brings up an interesting thought. Out west there are gates on the freeway entrances, and if conditions are bad enough, the roads are closed. Why is it that we do not do this in the "east."
    I haven't seen gates on freeways, but when there is very heavy snowfall or very icy conditions on Interstate 17 between Phoenix and Flagstaff they do close it. Of course that would be because there are a lot of cliff-like drop-offs and 6% grades. There are some substantial drops that have no guardrail, but not many.

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    they hyped up that snow storm... so many people stayed off the road. Which is just as well.. because the drive like morons when it snows around the NYC metro area. The roads were like an average upstate snow day.... so no problem for me. We got about 10 inches... and it fell through the night. I dont think I would have wanted to drive it when it was falling.
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by ludes98
    I haven't seen gates on freeways, but when there is very heavy snowfall or very icy conditions on Interstate 17 between Phoenix and Flagstaff they do close it. Of course that would be because there are a lot of cliff-like drop-offs and 6% grades. There are some substantial drops that have no guardrail, but not many.
    Sometimes they put gates on freeway on the main roads over the mountain passes. I-90 over the Cascades I believe has them as well as the little highway that goes from Everett WA over the Cascades (I think Hwy 2?)... It's good because the average western washingtonian doesn't know squat about driving in snow.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 17 Sep 2012, 10:43 PM
  2. Handsome or Scary?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 05 Jun 2012, 12:01 PM
  3. Are you scary?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 59
    Last post: 27 Apr 2006, 3:06 PM