Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Dumb Laws

Registered
    Sep 2001

Dumb Laws

We all enforce and even sometimes write dumb laws.

Is your city or state on this website?.

I like that you can't drag a dead horse down Yonge Street in Toronto on a Sunday or climb trees in Oshawa.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997

huh?

How is this a dumb law (Oshawa):

Homeowners are responsible for clearing snow off of municipal sidewalks. If sidewalks is not cleaned within 24 hours after a snowfall, city workers will clean it and the cost will be placed on the homeowners tax bill.
    We've got the same thing on the books here in Toronto too. Makes sense to me...

Registered
    Feb 2003

Interesting side note

As I read the laws about states I actually “know” about, the laws don’t seem so weird. Example: in Broward County Florida the law reads, “Persons may not be "inappropriately attired" who work at hot dog stands.” This law sounds weird at first, but if you know that that the bikini dressed hotdog girls would cause traffic jams in their sexy outfits then it is not so weird. Plus the hot dog venders were once a common front for prostitutes then the law is not so weird. The girls would push around hotdog stands wearing and pulling on their thong selling “extras” for that haute wiener! :-P This law would prohibit that since somehow a girl is not as appealing in a full hotdog stand uniform. :-S

Also the Key West law, “Chickens are considered a 'protected species'.” Has a valid reason (long story) behind it. Basically there are chickens running around the city that people have come to love.

These are just 2, but I could go on and on…
    Last edited by H; 28 Jan 2004 at 3:36 PM.

Registered
    Jul 1998
    We did this before, but it's been years...so here is on from my former employer. "it shall be unlawful for a person to drive a motor vehicle with their arm around a person of the oposite sex"
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Utah - It is illegal to detonate any nuclear weapon. You can have them, but you just can't detonate them.

Damn. Now what am I going to do with my 10 warheads I have stockpiled?

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    In Ketchikan, AK, there is a law against soliciting prostitution at the airport (which I suppose adds a whole new meaning to the term "lay over"). The borough ordinances are silent as to whether soliciting prostitution is against the law in other areas of the borough (one of the town's main attraction is Dolly's, on Creek Street, a former bordello - "Creek Street, where men and salmon come to spawn"). I used to wonder what was the reason the assembly felt a need for that ordinance?

Registered
    Dec 2001

misquoted

Peoria
    • Basketball hoops may not be instaled on a driveway.
    i beileve they are reffering to our code that say that recreational structures may not be located within the front yard setbacks. Therefore, if you driveway completly exists within the front yard setback, like 99% of the properties here do, you can't have a basketball hoop (legally) along your front driveway.

it's unfortunate that it reads that way. Probably should be changed, but we don't enforce it anyway.B-)
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Feb 2003

And the drum roll please……………………………………..

The funniest (in a joke sense) law goes to:

Quitman, GA for
    · It is illegal for a chicken to cross the road.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by H
    The funniest (in a joke sense) law goes to:

Quitman, GA for
    · It is illegal for a chicken to cross the road.
    Why would the chicken cross the road in the first place?

A law in Clemson, South Carolina states that all bitches in heat must be confined.
    That must be a hard law to enforce... especially in a college town. :-P

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    All those strange law lists don't actually cite a code, so I doubt whether the laws actually exist or not.

Here, friends, are cited strange laws from Buffalo's Municipal Code. They're all still on the books. I converted the language from legalese to plain English for the sake of brevity.

98-8 - It's illegal to give a shoeshine on Sunday after 1:00 PM.
    352-1 - Steam locomotives cannot cross street level crossings faster than 6 MPH/10 KMPH.
    378-5 - All businesses, factories, theaters, railroad depots and other public gathering places must provide public spitoons. Spitoons must be cleaned and disinfected every day.
    378-6 - It's illegal for restaurants to give their patrons a straw without a wrapper.
    501-3 - A ton of coal weighs 2,000 pounds (no duh!)

Don't believe me? Look it up.

§ 378-5. Prohibited acts; posting of notices.

D. Every corporation, proprietor or other person owning, operating or controlling any store, factory, theater or other building or room which is used in common by the public or any depot or railroad station shall provide a sufficient number of nonabsorbent receptacles for expectoration and shall provide for the thorough cleansing and disinfection thereof at least once in twenty-four (24) hours.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Dec 2003
    There is a law in Manchester New Hampshire that prohibits any "dancing" in public after 10pm.

A friend of mine was in a restaurant dancing and goofing around at 12am. Two police officers entered the restaurant and told her she needed to stop or they were citing her for that vilolation.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2003
    I think the only laws listed under Maryland that are enforced, if they exist, are: the vagrant-loitering ban in Baltimore; the bans on exposed antennae and clotheslines in Columbia; and the bans on writing on public buildings and swimming in public fountains in Rockville. Except for the clotheline ban, they're also the only ones that make much of any sense. Some of the more anal HOAs might enforce the thistle ban now and then (I believe that one is real), although I think that was passed because certain kinds of thistle are serious agricultural pests, especially "Canadian" thistle--which isn't even native to Canada, and sucks soil dry.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 36
    Last post: 13 Sep 2013, 9:41 AM
  2. That dumb or just faking it.
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 17 Oct 2012, 5:31 PM
  3. dumb and dumber
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 05 Jul 2005, 6:45 PM