Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: What's your Canadian-ness?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

What's your Canadian-ness?

Tranplanner trying to "out" me, with an admission that I'm actually Canadian.

I took the test at http://absolutek.com/canadiantest/ .

The sad results ...

I am 61% Canadian!

Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996

It tells me:

"You are 39% Canadian. You must be a foreigner, you aren't very Canadian at all."
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    89% - I am VERY Canadian. Duh, big surprise there...

Registered
    Oct 2000
    44% Canadian - I too am not very Canadian.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    39% -- maybe I'll do better after my trip to Toronto. I may try the maple syrup w/ alcohol sooner...

Registered
    Aug 2001

It's flawed

It said I am 28% Canadian, and I think that's too high. I must have answered the American Beer question wrong. Sad. I'm 28% Canadian but something like 68% likely to be a woman.

33%. I thought it would be much higher.

Registered
    Oct 2001

Damn

17% - But I like winter and beer. It was the "Z" question. I thought for sure I had Canadian leanings, possibly even urges.

This guy is Canadian:
    Arrest may pull trigger on U of T gun club Member faces 74 charges: Alleged to have AK-47 and 32,000 rounds of ammunition

Sarah Schmidt
    National Post
    A senior member of the University of Toronto's gun club is being held in custody on 74 weapons charges, including illegal possession of an AK-47 and other machine guns. Michael Brassard, a long-time range officer and safety-course instructor with the Hart House Revolver Club and the University of Toronto Rifle Association, was denied bail after he was picked up by Toronto police on Oct. 8 following a disturbance at a subway station. Mr. Brassard was allegedly carrying a concealed and loaded 45-calibre military handgun, Detective Gordon Scott said. A search of Mr. Brassard's Toronto home uncovered 32,000 rounds of ammunition and 54 prohibited firearms, including Second World War military and automatic weapons with the capacity to hold up to 40 rounds. "I don't think the police department owns 32,000 rounds of ammunition," Det. Scott said.

Mr. Brassard, 47 and unemployed, is to appear in provincial court tomorrow to appeal the bail decision. He and his lawyer could not be reached for comment, but Margaret Hancock, Warden of Hart House, said Mr. Brassard's record at the campus firing range was unblemished. The allegations have prompted calls for the university to close the firing range and revisit its support of the rifle and revolver clubs. "We'll ask the question: Is it something, in this day and age, that the university community wants?" Ms. Hancock said. Pending the outcome of the charges, she has revoked Mr. Brassard's privileges at the firing range and stripped him of his duties of range officer and safety-course instructor. It was unknown whether Mr. Brassard is an alumni of the university.

Founded in 1919, the rifle association is as old as Hart House, donated to the university by Vincent Massey. The club evolved after the Second World War, with its members also taking up permanent residence in the imposing neo-Gothic building. The firing range, tucked away in the basement, is open to members on Monday and Wednesday evenings. Inspired by a similar facility at Oxford University in England, Hart House was built to accommodate every conceivable student activity. Until 1972, it was males only, but today it stands as the cultural heart of the university. Bruce Kidd, dean of the faculty of physical education and health, says the firing range reflects the values of the early 20th century and has no place on a modern university campus. Dr. Kidd was a member of a Hart House advisory committee that recommended the firing range be closed. It called for the closure in response to the killing of 14 women at the École Polytechnique in Montreal in 1989, telling the university president the use of guns on campus was inappropriate. Dr. Kidd says the recommendation was never implemented. "The firing range was constructed during the First World War, at a time when educated masculinity included the ability to handle firearms in the context of the Great War. We've moved on, at least, I hope we have," Dr. Kidd said. The university has not set date for a review of the status of the gun clubs, Ms. Hancock said, adding: "Hart House is a place for debate, discussion and dissent."
    Only 32,000 rounds - what a wimp.

Registered
    Oct 2001

50%

I guess I should try a drink with syrup in it...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I was 50% as well... but then I'm an American living in Canada, so that's probably not too off.

Of course most of the people in Alberta don't say "aboot", they pronounce it more like "aboat".

Registered
    Aug 1997

Kind of . . .

I was only 28% Canadian, but a lot of my second choice answers would have probably increased my score. Is it my fault baseball is a better sport than hockey?

Of course, I've lived in Texas for 3 years and would probably only score 28% on the "Are you Texan" test.
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    50% - coincidentally. Mother from Hamilton, father from Chicago.

I'm all of 44% Canadian - although I don't know what the rest is.

Now, on to the next 'test'
    Glorious Technicolor, Breath-Taking CinemaScope and Stereophonic Sound!

Registered
    Sep 1998

Me Hoser, You Loser!

It appears I'm 67% cannuck. as for the rest of me, I think I'm 33% Labrador Retreiver. (Not a lap dog, good at "fetching", can live with being constantly told that I'm "all wet", difficult to piss off and good with developers and small children

Registered
    Sep 1998

True "Canadian" test

If you know who "Stomping Tom Connors" is!
    If you know who "Long John Baldry" is!
    If you know where Monty Hall comes from!
    If you know what a "stubby is"

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 17
    Last post: 01 Apr 2010, 2:29 AM
  2. Canadian MUP schools
    Student Commons
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 02 Feb 2009, 1:21 PM
  3. Looking for Canadian immigrationinformation
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 11