Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm the coldest I've ever been!

Registered
    Aug 2001

I'm the coldest I've ever been!

It's currently -32C (-26F) with a windchill of -46C (-52F). I was plugging in the car out at the employee parking lot and my fingers started to freeze through my gloves. Brrrrrrr. This is the coldest temperature I have ever walked outside in. Thank god this will only last a few days before the relative balmy temperature of -10C (14F) sets in later this week.
    Last edited by nerudite; 26 Jan 2004 at 11:26 AM.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    We read down here that those kinds of temperatures are really dangerous to go out in. And they make you go to work in that? Ouch!

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Currently 9 F (-13 C), with high of 20 F today. Thats what you guys get for sending us that cold air 2 weeks ago
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Nerudite -

I'd say it's time for a warmer pair of gloves.

When it's that cold, I'd recommend a lined pair of wool gloves plus an additional liner. Good for short term stints in those temps and winds. For long term, I'd say go with heavy mittens plus liner gloves.

Hang in there!
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Lightweights, all of you!

This last week, it's been around -10ish Celsuis or +10ish Fahrenheit. The sturdy Great Lakes stock around here deal with it.

Here are some scenes from balmy Buffalo.

RUGGED!

Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Temperatures like that are just unheard of down here. Today's high - a balmy 74 degrees, but it's supposed to be cold again tomorrow - in the 50's.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Yipe and im bitching about 18 degrees. I thought the salt mix they put on the roads stoped working at 20 degrees so how do they keep the roads passible in that kind of cold/snow?
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Quote Originally posted by SGB
    Nerudite -

I'd say it's time for a warmer pair of gloves.

When it's that cold, I'd recommend a lined pair of wool gloves plus an additional liner. Good for short term stints in those temps and winds. For long term, I'd say go with heavy mittens plus liner gloves.

Hang in there!

Back in Grad school when I was driving buses around Iowa City to pay my bills, I "aquired" a pair of Columbia ski gloves from the Lost and Found......hey, I let them stay there till spring,.... anyway, they are so warm it has to be below about 10F or my hands get too hot.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Dec 2003
    This flag goes up around here when it gets cold...

Then the loot is stored here...
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Currently 28F and snowing; high of 30F today. About 2 weeks ago it got down to
    -25F.

Great frig, RT; can I come and stay with you for awhile?
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Aug 2001
    We've had sustained cold around here too, but not that cold!

How cold is it? Cold enough that a tailgate hinge on my SUV snapped into three pieces when I slammed the tailgate. Thats what I call cold...

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Planderella
    Today's high - a balmy 74 degrees, but it's supposed to be cold again tomorrow - in the 50's.
    This day-to-day "up and down" weather is disgusting! People get sick here because of it!
    A person who strives is one who thrives. It's GREAT to be THE KING!!!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by PlannerGirl
    Yipe and im bitching about 18 degrees. I thought the salt mix they put on the roads stoped working at 20 degrees so how do they keep the roads passible in that kind of cold/snow?
    Well, the streets are icy... you just slow down and give yourself plenty of time to brake. There are accidents all over, but people here are generally used to it. Any snow we have (and there was a lot over the weekend) is graded off the main arterials and bus routes. The local streets are just nasty.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    It has been bitter here again.

Last night it was -45 with wind chill. Car almost did not start this morning, even plugged in with a brand new battery.

For traction, here, they allow for studded tires and use lots and lots of sand. People wonder why the roads are in such bad shape come spring, meat grinders and coarse sand paper being rubbed into everything.

As for having to work, they tend to close the schools when it is this cold. Some kids have been only twice in the last 2 and a half weeks, we got 1 day off due to too much snow.

At least no frozen pipes this week.(So far)
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Meh. I've been camping in -42° F (which is actually about -42° C as well).

As Chet said, it has been somewhat cold here. Yesterday I found a red-belied woodpecker frozen to a tree. RIP.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by donk
    As for having to work, they tend to close the schools when it is this cold. Some kids have been only twice in the last 2 and a half weeks, we got 1 day off due to too much snow.
    They have never closed work since I've been here (a little over two years now). I think you are just supposed to tough it out no matter what the conditions are.

Luckily the kids don't have school today. I have no idea if they'll get the next few days off for the cold weather though.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Yesterday, sunday, Jan 25, here in SW Indiana we had freezing rain that coated everything with at least a 1/2 of an inch of ICE.
    Schools are closed today but not work
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by JNA
    Yesterday, sunday, Jan 25, here in SW Indiana we had freezing rain that coated everything with at least a 1/2 of an inch of ICE.
    Yeah, we had five days (off and on) of freezing rain last week and the week before. It was trippy, because all of the snow looked like frozen waves in the moonlight. It looked like our neighbourhood had flooded and froze. It was so cool! Of course, driving was a pain... but it looked really neat.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Yep, we got the ice too, plus a few inches of snow. Amazingly, hardly any schools are closed, and getting to work was pretty easy. And boy, am I glad my car has heated seats/wing mirrors/windshield washer fluid. Nice and toasty. Almost hated to get out.
    I don't dream. I plan.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Quote Originally posted by nerudite
    They have never closed work since I've been here (a little over two years now). I think you are just supposed to tough it out no matter what the conditions are.
    The day we got off of work, I walked the 8 blocks to the office because my street was not ploughed out. They did not plough it out until 4:00PM. If I can't get to work, no one is probably coming in for a permit or information request.

The worst thing is that we have gorgeous snow right now for cross country skiing, but it is too cold to be outside.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Our heat here in the office just died about 30 minutes ago. Some kind of furnace problem. It's getting cold in here fast. I think we're going to Dunkin' Donuts for our staff meeting...

     
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Parents keep their kids from going to school around here when the weather gets to around -30C. I know I wouldn't want to go out in it, never mind sending my kids into it, especially with the winter clothes they currently wear. It's almost unheard of for local city schools to close, no matter what the temperature. Bad snowstorms can affect them once in a while (but not that often...maybe once every other year or so). Rural schools get "snow days" a little more often, since most of the student body is bussed in.

The coldest I can ever remember being out in was about -42C, with a wind chill below -60C. There were eunuch brass monkeys everywhere.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Nerudite - Check the local maternity ward's birthing statistics at the end of September. I'm guessing there will be an unusuall level of activity.

Quote Originally posted by JNA
    Schools are closed today but not work
    We got the same stuff here -- about .75"

It freaked me out because the neighbors have a huge old water maple in the back yard that overhangs my electric service and my garage, which is really more barn than garage since it hasn't seen a car in the 9 years we've owned the place, but lots of neighborhood animals make it their home. The City Forester said it had five years, maybe. That was four years ago. When it goes, it will land on the garage.

Mrs. Gedunker and I worked on the never-ending kitchen remodel with a watchful eye. Fortunately, the ice didn't get it yesterday. Tonight the forecast is for re-freezing and up to 2" of new snow. My worries are not yet over, it seems.
    Je suis Charlie

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast