Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Tranplanner Honeymoon Suggestions

Registered
    Oct 2001

Tranplanner Honeymoon Suggestions

Tranplanner asked for suggestions so let's give the lad a hand planning the only vacation he will ever enjoy.

My suggestions:

Not Branson

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Hedonism!!!!

All inclusive island resort where wearing anything at all is optional

Dont go to any Sandals resorts.

D
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Aug 2001

Ummm...

PlannerGirl wrote:
    Hedonism!!!!
    D
    Prudence - care to comment on your TWO trips to Hedonism?

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996

Well....

My fiance and I are opting to head north of the border....neither one of us is a fan of heat/humidity.

Other places we considered:

Bar Harbor, Maine
    The Poconos
    Canadian Rockies
    The Adirondacks
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Re: Tranplanner Honeymoon Suggestions

El Guapo wrote:
    Tranplanner asked for suggestions so let's give the lad a hand planning the only vacation he will ever enjoy.

My suggestions:

Not Branson
    And might I add:

Not Pigeon Forge

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Not Niagra.

And Labor Day weekend? Well there is the Pocono Garlic Festival!

Honeysmoochers need quiet tucked away spaces with ocean or mountain views, and to sample new cuisine and give in to spur of the moment whims. Don't take the getaway trip on Labor Day weekend - for crying out loud save it for later in the autumn and keep the planning to a min, pick a general destination and let the rest flow

Let's ask the bride to be. What is Tranplanner like on a road trip?

Registered
    Apr 1996
    Jen wrote:
    pick a general destination and let the rest flow
    Sounds exactly like what I'm doing on mine in a month!

We're packing up the car, heading to Novia Scotia (although we may opt to take the Scotia Prince from Portland, ME instead of driving up...we can still take the car) with no definite plans when we get there....
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Jen wrote:

Let's ask the bride to be. What is Tranplanner like on a road trip?
    Thankfully my fiancee is blissfully unaware of the prescence of Cyburbia...

I'm not really a lot of fun on a road trip as I'm one of those people who like to plan everything out in advance...

I think what we may do is take a small break somewhere in between Sudbury and Toronto (2-3 nights in a resort), and then go somewhere warm/exotic/overseas the following spring. My fiancee starts school again a week after the wedding. We originally looked at going out east (Nova Scotia), but the train is really expensive, and I don't feel like spending my honeymoon driving.

Wherever we go, I just have to find a way to smuggle my golf clubs along...

Registered
    Apr 1996
    Tranplanner wrote:

Thankfully my fiancee is blissfully unaware of the prescence of Cyburbia...
    Mine knows about Cyburbia all too well....and I took a lot of sh!t for the posts on the kitty issue.

We originally looked at going out east (Nova Scotia), but the train is really expensive, and I don't feel like spending my honeymoon driving.

Wherever we go, I just have to find a way to smuggle my golf clubs along...
    Any Novia Scotia/PEI suggestions for me?

And I'm smuggling my clubs too. Even if it means I have to teach Erica to golf.

Registered
    Oct 2001

Our Honeymoon

My wife and I spent 10 days at my folk's lake house at the Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri in early August 2000. It was secluded with warm water, no sharks, plenty of sun, and very few people around. We boated, grilled, drank Margaritas and the locals all took American Money.

The only thing we planned about it were the menus. We had to haul our 10 days of food in to the cabin. Lots of Shrimp.

I have never been more relaxed in my life. It was a great time.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    NHPlanner wrote:
    Any Novia Scotia/PEI suggestions for me?
    I've never been...maybe jmf or donk can give us some pointers. Anywhere but Anne of Green Gables' place!!!!!

Great golf on PEI apparently - crack courses, not too much $$

Registered
    Apr 1996
    Tranplanner wrote:
    Great golf on PEI apparently - crack courses, not too much $$
    I figured golf would be cheap for me....I mean, with the exchange rate a round should cost me about $0.35 US. :p

Registered
    Oct 2001
    You can get a GENUINE Canadian Sherpa for an extra $1.00 US ($58.00CDN).

Are there any famous Canadian Golfers?

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    El Guapo wrote:
    Are there any famous Canadian Golfers?
    Mike Weir is my hero - not only because he's Canadian, but because he's also a left-handed golf shot. Shame he keeps choking in the big tournies...

I can't think of his name, but there was a very famous golfer (he died fairly recently, I think) who was somewhat autistic(?). He never made it on the tour, but is apparently one of THE best golfers of all time. Mo something or other... Norman?

Rub it in NH, rub it in...darn you and your Yankee greenbacks to heck! Hey the Canadian Dollar is on the rebound - hit 64 cents U.S. yesterday!

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Not being a golfer, here are a few of the courses you always here about locally (in no particular order)

Crowbush - PEI

Highland Links (Cape Breton / NS) http://www.highlandslinksgolf.com/
    There was a really interesting radio show done about this course on the CBC about a month ago. It talked about the genius of the designer to incorporate the existing natural environment into the course and teh history of the area.

If you are visiting the east coast don't forget NB

1) Saint John - Oldest incorporated city in canada.
    2) Bay of Fundy - highest tides in the world - really neat flower pot islands
    3) Dune de Bouctouche - won an international ecotourism award three years ago
    4) Shediac - lobster capital of the world
    5) Shediac - warmest water north of VA. (So the ads say)
    6) Miramichi - Irish festival

There are lots more reasons to visit NB, everyone always just forgets about the "drive through province"

Registered
    Nov 2001
    Last summer we stumbled upon NB's Grand Manan Island, taking a car ferry to get there. A slow pace of life, friendly people, and a provincial camp ground with more amenities and less crowding that anything found in the States. We had no plans once we got there, but that proved to be no problem as hiking and exploring were in abundance. The local delicacy is a dried salted seaweed called dulce (sp?) which is consumed with abundant steamed periwinkle snails and beer. It helps to have consumed a lot of beer first - trust me!

Registered
    Sep 2001

I wouldn't touch dulse with a ten foot pole!!

EEEEW!!!!!!!!!! It is just awful stuff but very high in iron they tell me, I think I'll stick to brocoli.

Nova Scotia has some great spots....... like Donk though I am not a golfer but Bell Bay in Baddeck is supposed to be very nice. Baddeck is where Alexander Graham Bell spent his summers, his family still owns a very large property there.

My personal favorite place, Milford House, has no golf, no tv, no radio, no heat except for fireplaces, no telephone......it is VERY rustic...log cabins on two lakes (you can rent a canoe) most of the cabins are fairly isolated from each other but 'Little' is considered the honeymoon cabin (all the cabins are named, mostly after former guests)... it was a hunting and fishing lodge at the turn of the century...........a great spot to get away from everything unfortunately it is usually pretty well booked for late july and all of august at this point. It is only about 45 mins from Digby which is where one of the ferries from Maine docks.

One word of warning, things in Nova Scotia are not as close as some people think and in some areas the highways aren't great. I used to work for the tourism office and some people thought they could land in Yarmouth on the (other) ferry and spend that night at Keltic Lodge in the Cape Breton highlands. They were really upset whenI told them it was almost 800 km between the two!

Registered
    Apr 1996

Thanks!

donk, biha, & jmf thanks for the suggestions and advice!

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Thought of some more ideas, and a suggested travel route

1) From Bangor take highway 9 (the airline) or take old US Rte 1 (more scenic) to Calais and St. Stephen (home of Ganong the first chocolate bar and chocolate museum). From Portsmouth this is about a five hour drive. Stay in St Andrews at the Algonquin. Play a round of Golf.

2) Time your golfing, and drive from St. Andrews to Saint John to either catch the ferry to digby or stay overnight in Saint John. Also when in SJ try to see the reversing falls. Great BB/Inn is the Barker House.

3) ferry to digby. Now that you are in NS you're on your own, not real familiar with it. Visit Halifax and Wolfville down south, travelling up north takes time as the roads are rotten. Cape Breton Island is a trip in itself.

4) Spend a few days in NS.

Drive home through NB. Visiting Moncton (Magnetic Hill), Hillsborough (flower pots) Alma (Fundy Park) and back through Saint John and St. Stephen.

Oh, and I agree stay away from dulse unless you like the taste of how rotting fish smells.

Have fun

Registered
    Oct 2001

What?!

donk wrote:

2) Time your golfing, and drive from St. Andrews to Saint John to either catch the ferry to digby or stay overnight in Saint John. Also when in SJ try to see the reversing falls.
    And don't stop in at Houlton, ME for the "boy and the boot" statue and a Shiretowner's game?!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Dandy's Honeymoon Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 37
    Last post: 20 Apr 2011, 2:28 PM
  2. Replies: 8